To Wait or not To Wait? Pending iPhone Purchase!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Nov 24, 2008.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

OK, so I'm this close to purchasing an iPhone. On December 9, my contract with Verizon expires, finally. And after going to the Verizon store to toy with the Storm, hoping it would be decent so I can stay on Verizon, the decision to go with the iPhone seems to be the clear cut choice due to the major disappointment with using the Storm.

Anyway, with all the rumors going around about the 32GB coming out, I am wondering if I should purchase the 16GB iPhone on December 9(Boy, I wish I didn't have to wait) or wait. If I purchase the 16, is there anyway I can upgrade if the 32 does come out in January?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I've haven't heard anything that would lead me to believe that a 32GB version is coming in the near future. If I were you, I'd wait until after MacWorld in January. If they are going to release one before June it will most likely be then. Good luck with your decision.

3. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Once you get it, there is no way to upgrade without buying the new phone. You could sell the 16gb and buy the 32. Thats pretty much your only option.

You are the only one who knows if you need 32 gbs. I have the 16gb and I usually max it out. Right now I have a movie, about 10 tv shows, and close to 2000 songs. I also have a ton of pics on here as well as a bunch of apps. Granted, I am not an app freak, I dont download EVERY app. So you have to ask yourself how much you are going to put on there. Could I fill up a 32gb iPhone? Probably. Do I NEED a 32gb iPhone? No.
    Having a 32gb iPhone would only allow me the convenience of syncing it less often. Right now I sync once a week or so when Im done with my shows, I guess doubling the size would allow me to sync every other week...

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I thought I read it on this board that the 32 was coming out in January after MacWorld??? The guy at AT&T insisted yesterday there was none coming out in January and he would of known already.

You know, I have a 16GB iTouch and its filled up with mostly music, a few photos and a few other miscellaneous items. I am so torn on what to do, because I want the phone now, lol.

5. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Get it NOW!

Seriously, I have the 8GB and it is almost full. But I also have a 32 GB touch for music-so that sort of has me covered. I agree with the poster above about more frequent Syncs-I sync about once a week too. And mostly to change the music when I will have ONLY the phone.

I still seem to carry the iPhone and my touch around. I do NOT use the iPod part of the phone much, but there are so many other cool things it does, that I don't mind carrying two devices.

6. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Personally, I had about 20gbs of music on an iPod, when I got the iPhone I was forced to actually look through the music and I realized I never listened to 80% of it! So I spent a weekend sifting through my tunes to limit what I put on my phone down to 10gbs. Thats my rule. I have 10gbs for music which I never have to update. That leaves me with 5 or so for vidoes and apps. This works out ok for me. If you really do listen to more than 10gbs of music, then you might want to wait for the bigger phone.

By the way, I work for at&t, not a wireless guy though. Those salesmen would NOT know about a 32gb release before anyone else in the world. They are not special, they are not privy to info before anyone. We all know how Apple is with these releases. You probably wont know about it until a week before it happens. I personally dont think they will come out with a 32gb iPhone. But thats just my opinion. Why release it a month after Christmas? Doesnt make sense to me.

Oh, and another thing...If you really want it now but your worried about the size... I have Orb installed on my PC and I can listen to just about anything on my iPhone from my PC without having it on my phone. This doesnt work as well for videos though, but pretty good for music.

7. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Stay month-to-month on Verizon for a month? Then if there is no 32gb iPhone in Jan, you can get the 16?

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I will keep posting this information until people stop making threads like this

---------------------

people speculate that the new 32gb will be coming out soon, but no one knows this

the reason Apple needed to update the 2g iphone was that it was lacking 3g and a GPS chip. Apple also decided to increase the size from 4-8 to 8-16 gb.

while it seems likely that apple will release 16-32 gb models in its next release this is speculation

If you go here

http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iph...al-reason.html

you will see that the highest capacity nand chip being used is 16gb ( 128 gigabit )
    the iphone uses 1x because it only has one slot
    the Ipod touch uses 2x because it has two slots

Unless Apple redesigns its internal logic board, or a company releases a 256gigabit chip ( which currently does not exist) don't expect Apple to release a 32gb iPhone anytime soon

in other words if you need or want the iPhone just buy it now

9. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Ive been saying that for a while, but people still believe the hype. I didnt know the exact specs of why, but I knew someone told me that the iPhone was physically capable of being 32gbs.
    But now I know the physical reason why, thanks Cabrera!
    To the OP, I say get the 16! These iPhones retain their value pretty well. And think of it like this... consider the 16gb a trial run. Use it for a month or 2 and see if you NEED the 32gb. If it comes out then you can buy it and sell the 16gb, or give it to someone as a gift.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

11. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I think your right and I will go with the 16. Now, do I need to wait till December 9th for my Verizon contract to expire, or can I do it this couple of weeks early?

My other question is, my wife may switch to an iPhone in the future. If she does decide to do this, can I have her use it and get the new one at the discounted price or do I have to pay full price?

12. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

If you gave her your new iPhone and you got the newest model, you would be able to get the discount on the new one you buy. I did the same thing with my wife. I gave her my 2G when 3G came out and we didnt have a problem. I think... I could be wrong...

I think you could do it early depending on your billing cycle with Verizon. You could do it now if you wanted to, but you would still have a bill coming from Verizon. So next month you would have 2 bills to pay. I think... I could be wrong... its happened before!

Someone will correct me if Im wrong, I just know it!

13. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    Congrats on switching to the iPhone - you'll love it. Just so you know, AT&T has a referral program where if you sign up with AT&T as a new customer, we can each get a $25 AT&T gift card (can be used for merchandise or your monthly bill).

If you're interested, here are the details of how it all works:
    https://referral.wireless.att.com/po...ic/overview.do

If so, all I need is your first/last name along with your email address.

Let me know!
    Brian

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Here's what I recommend: Get the iPhone now (or, wait till Black Friday to see if deals pop up on it), but do not port your number over. let AT&T give you one of their numbers.

Then, use the time between now and December 9 to test out the phone and make sure you're happy with it.

If you are NOT happy, then just return the iPhone, and your number will still be on Verizon, and you won't have this huge hassle of having to port back.

If you ARE happy, then you just call up AT&T on the 9th, and ask them to port your Verizon number onto you existing AT&T line. When you do that, the Verizon account will cancel, the number AT&T gave you will go away, and your old Verizon phone number will transfer to your iPhone.

Technically, the one drawback to this is you'll be paying for service on two carriers between now and the 9th. However, most ports work in such a way that the carrier you're leaving gets to keep the full month of service you paid for anyway, even if you port out in the middle of the billing cycle. So, it's a wash anyway, and you may as well use this time to your advantage.

By the way: be careful with when and how you port. Make sure that Verizon will release you on the 9th without an ETF. At the same time, don't wait TOO long after the 9th, or Verizon will get you for an additional full month of service, even though you ported early into the next billing cycle. The porting regs let them do this, and since you're leaving anyway, Verizon isn't really going to bend over backwards to give you a credit on the unused portion of your monthly bill.

If you're opening new lines of service with AT&T, then you pay the discounted price. If you or your wife wife already has an AT&T line and isn't eligible for an upgrade, then that line will have to pay full price to get an iPhone.

15. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Woo hoo! I am so excited! I am going to go tomorrow. What do I have to do to say I want the 30 day trial??? How much will that cost me upfront?

I'm very excited!

16. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I think at&t has a 30 day return policy. So technically its not a 30 day trial.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nothing. 30 days is the standard return policy. At the store, you pay the price of the phone and any accessories you decide to get.

If within 30 days you don't want the phone or have service issues, you go back, return the phone and cancel service. In that case you get your money back for the phone, but you will probably get a bill for the activation fee ($36) plus the portion of the service you used while you had the phone, and then you're done.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Another thing you may want to check into is if the company you work for, or if you're in college, your university has a FAN set up. That will make you eligible for discounts that ATT has with your company/university, plus allow additional features to be added to your account. So you may want to look into it.

BL.

19. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Thanks! Looking forward to the iPhone experience. See if I like it or not, I know I hated the Storm.

20. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Check also if after canceling before the 30 days, your new contract discount will be taken away. In other words if you pay $300 for the phone because you are a new contract there is a high chance that if a 32 gb phone comes out you will have to pay the full price $500.

If i where you, if you have to wait until december, wait until january.

I my case the day i wanted the iphone was on january this year, when i was going to get it the rumors of the 3g start popping out and i waited until summer althought a new 16gb iphone was out. Iam so happy i waited and if a new phone comes out next summer i will be happier to get the new one.

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

22. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

BE CAREFUL DOING THIS! I tried something similar-trying to port an existing AT&T family plan telephone number to my iPhone. The number I was trying to port was NOT UNDER CONTRACT. But, AT&T said if I did that-their computer system would interpret the CHANGING OF THE NUMBER as a termination and would assess the ETF.

I would love to know if this works for you, but I lost a GREAT cell phone telephone number over this. It is okay, I would rather have the iPhone, but I talked to at least 6 people both in AT&T stores and at 611, and they all said the same thing-if you port a number to the iPhone-it will be considered a discontinuation of service.

23. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

Dang it, now I am all confused again on what to do!!!

So your saying if I switch my number from Verizon to ATT after the trial, I will have to pay for cancellation of the number ATT gave me?

24. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Im in a similar situation as the OP. My Tmobile contract ends December 21 and I plan on waiting until after MW to even consider the purchase. With all the "should i wait" threads popping up here lately Ive been questioning waiting until June!

Decisions decisions...

I don't wanna be "that guy" that got shafted after waiting over 2 years to get his beloved iphone just so apple could screw him 5 short months later. :D

25. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

No I guess I am saying just wait til Verizon is gone. It is only about 16 days now.

It is worth the wait-I love the phone. I just didn't want you to get stuck with an ETF or a number you don't want to lose. If you don't care about the number-try it out today-you have 30 days to return it-you just likely will not be able to port your old number if you sign up prior to your Verizon expiry.