Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
No I guess I am saying just wait til Verizon is gone. It is only about 16 days now.

It is worth the wait-I love the phone. I just didn't want you to get stuck with an ETF or a number you don't want to lose. If you don't care about the number-try it out today-you have 30 days to return it-you just likely will not be able to port your old number if you sign up prior to your Verizon expiry.
The number I don't want to lose is the one I have now with Verizon since everyone has it, including people I do work with.

My idea is to try out the ATT until the contract expires with Verizon, see how I like it and if I do, then convert the Verizon number to ATT.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I'm headed to the ATT store now, hopefully I can fine out a little more information on if I can keep my number and if I'll be charged if i wait to switch to it on Dec 9.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
people speculate that the new 32gb will be coming out soon, but no one knows this

the reason Apple needed to update the 2g iphone was that it was lacking 3g and a GPS chip. Apple also decided to increase the size from 4-8 to 8-16 gb.

while it seems likely that apple will release 16-32 gb models in its next release this is speculation

If you go here
http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iphoneblog/2008/02/the-real-reason.html

you will see that the highest capacity nand chip being used is 16gb ( 128 gigabit )
the iphone uses 1x because it only has one slot
the Ipod touch uses 2x because it has two slots

Unless Apple redesigns its internal logic board, or a company releases a 256gigabit chip ( which currently does not exist) don't expect Apple to release a 32gb iPhone anytime soon

You do realize that the article you are basing your information on is about a year old. Technology moves fast, so I'm sure it is possible for the iPhone to get a single 32GB chip in January.

warrenal

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
I agree. I saw a post on engadget about Intel developing 32gb chips. I hope they'll be ready for Jan iphone 32gb upgrade. When do you think we'll start hearing credible rumors if indeed it's coming at macworld?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/24/intel-micron-start-churning-out-34nm-32gb-nand-flash-chips/

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/08/06/toshiba.32gb.flash/

Also, Toshiba is a leading supplier for Apple products and has a 32gb ready for products in early 2009

Intel and Micron's subsidiary IM Flash Technologies first announced its first-of-its-kind 34nm NAND Flash memory back in May of this year and, as promised, it's now finally followed through on things pushed 'em into mass production. The chip's themselves are 32 gigabit multi-level cell chips, and can hold 4GB of memory on their own, or be stacked on top of each other in a standard 48-lead thin small-outline package (TSOP) to hold up to 64GB. That, the companies say, will not only allow for increased storage in small form factor devices, but less expensive solid state drives as well, given the reduced manufacturing costs. They're apparently still a little ways away from finding their way into some actual products, however, with the companies only going so far as to say that the first samples are on track for early 2009

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
You do realize that the article you are basing your information on is about a year old. Technology moves fast, so I'm sure it is possible for the iPhone to get a single 32GB chip in January.

I agree. I saw a post on engadget about Intel developing 32gb chips. I hope they'll be ready for Jan iphone 32gb upgrade. When do you think we'll start hearing credible rumors if indeed it's coming at macworld?
Also, Toshiba is a leading supplier for Apple products and has a 32gb ready for products in early 2009

I disagree with both of you

Production will start early 2009

"They're apparently still a little ways away from finding their way into some actual products, however, with the companies only going so far as to say that the first samples are on track for early 2009"

In other words, whats the point of speculation that the 32gb iPhone will be out in January, if the chips DON'T EVEN EXIST

Assuming the chips are produced ( at the earliest) January 1, 2009, we can't assume that there will be a 32gb Iphone January 1, 2009. I speculate it will take a few months for Apple to start putting these chips into new products, and even then who knows if or when Apple will decide to come out with an new iphone ( or just a mid-product refresh)

Also

Just because its an year old article doesn't make it less relevant

1 year ago 16gb chips were the highest capacity nand chips available, today that still stands true

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
I don't understand why they just can't use the same technology they use for the 32GB Touch to expand the iPhone???

I didn't come home with an iPhone today :( They told me I should wait until my contract expires on December 9th. But if I switch and hate it, can I still get out of the ATT contract?

They also told me that of a new one does come out within 30 days, I can return it and upgrade, but I have to pay a 10% stocking fee(I'd do that).

But is it better to get the iPhone in the Apple store or in the ATT Store?

Indy21

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
I don't understand why they just can't use the same technology they use for the 32GB Touch to expand the iPhone???

I didn't come home with an iPhone today :( They told me I should wait until my contract expires on December 9th. But if I switch and hate it, can I still get out of the ATT contract?

They also told me that of a new one does come out within 30 days, I can return it and upgrade, but I have to pay a 10% stocking fee(I'd do that).

But is it better to get the iPhone in the Apple store or in the ATT Store?

Personally I'm going to purchase mine from the Apple store where the people that work there actually know (some of them) all about the product and have probably dealt with most of the problems any and everyone has had in the past therefore no explaining if you need to take it back for any reason.

Most of the AT&T floor salesmen/saleswomen are morons at my 3 or 4 local AT&T stores and most have htc's and/or blackberries on their hips and shun anything apple and could possibly (and have) persuade you out of your buy for this "iphone killer" over here. :p

Plus, Apple store has all the best accessories RIGHT IN YOUR FACE! to look at.;)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Wait until at least the end of January if the extra 16GB is a huge interest to you. If you're happy with 8GB or 16GB, jump in.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008

Man I would smack you silly if you were in front of me right now ^_____________^

The information is posted... right here... in your own thread... geez how lazy can you get

I will repost so you can read it nice and slowly...

"you will see that the highest capacity nand chip currently avaible are 16gb ( 128 gigabit )
the iphone uses 1x16 because it only has one slot
the Ipod touch uses 2x16 because it has two slots"

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
All I will say is: do you really need 32 GB? I know you think you do, but let's think about it. The firmware is not that big, your email is on a server (not on your phone) so even if you have like 5000 emails, they're not actually taking up space. All the other functionality is run by server as well, so there really isn't any data on your phone other than what you put on it (like calendars or contacts, which is hardly anything even for an 8GB phone).

As far as entertainment goes: 16 GB is potentially a lot of music on your iPhone - I have an 8 GB and it's more than enough for 20 of my favorite albums (and I could put more on if I chose to but I don't need it). You can watch videos on YouTube - so do you need movies on your phone? If so, do you need like 5 or 10 movies on it at any one time?

See the beauty of iTunes is that it is ridiculously easy to sync and re-sync, and so it's really not that big of a deal to change what content is on your phone at any given time. Moreover, there are apps like Simplify Media that let you stream (over Wi-Fi) your entire iTunes library (music) to your phone - so theoretically if you're in Wi-Fi a lot of the time you don't even need anything stored on your phone.

And I've noticed that the more you have on your phone (in terms of using up its capacity) the slower it often gets. Now a lot of that might be just poorly coded App Store apps, but it's something to consider, especially if you're going to use your phone primarily as a phone. More importantly, there is no evidence that Apple plans to increase the capacity anyway, so is it worth waiting for something that might not happen any time soon (or at all)?

From my thinking its in Apple's best interest not to make a 32 GB iPhone because they don't make as much money on iPhones as they do on iPods (especially since the carrier and Apple are eating a lot of the costs by subsidizing the phone). They probably want people to keep buying iPods and not just buy iPhones exclusively, so I doubt they're going to make people less inclined to buy an iPod by threatening the 32 GB model.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Man I would smack you silly if you were in front of me right now ^_____________^

The information is posted... right here... in your own thread... geez how lazy can you get

"you will see that the highest capacity nand chip currently avaible are 16gb ( 128 gigabit )
the iphone uses 1x16 because it only has one slot
the Ipod touch uses 2x16 because it has two slots"

I read that, but I am sure they can make it so the iPhone uses 2x16 slots! Not out of the realm of possibilities???

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
All I will say is: do you really need 32 GB? I know you think you do, but let's think about it. The firmware is not that big, your email is on a server (not on your phone) so even if you have like 5000 emails, they're not actually taking up space. All the other functionality is run by server as well, so there really isn't any data on your phone other than what you put on it (like calendars or contacts, which is hardly anything even for an 8GB phone).

As far as entertainment goes: 16 GB is potentially a lot of music on your iPhone - I have an 8 GB and it's more than enough for 20 of my favorite albums (and I could put more on if I chose to but I don't need it). You can watch videos on YouTube - so do you need movies on your phone? If so, do you need like 5 or 10 movies on it at any one time?

See the beauty of iTunes is that it is ridiculously easy to sync and re-sync, and so it's really not that big of a deal to change what content is on your phone at any given time. Moreover, there are apps like Simplify Media that let you stream (over Wi-Fi) your entire iTunes library (music) to your phone - so theoretically if you're in Wi-Fi a lot of the time you don't even need anything stored on your phone.

And I've noticed that the more you have on your phone (in terms of using up its capacity) the slower it often gets. Now a lot of that might be just poorly coded App Store apps, but it's something to consider, especially if you're going to use your phone primarily as a phone. More importantly, there is no evidence that Apple plans to increase the capacity anyway, so is it worth waiting for something that might not happen any time soon (or at all)?

From my thinking its in Apple's best interest not to make a 32 GB iPhone because they don't make as much money on iPhones as they do on iPods (especially since the carrier and Apple are eating a lot of the costs by subsidizing the phone). They probably want people to keep buying iPods and not just buy iPhones exclusively, so I doubt they're going to make people less inclined to buy an iPod by threatening the 32 GB model.

My 16GB Touch is filled to the max with music, I have no videos on there. And that was a struggle, I really had to go through and eliminate some music I had on my original iPod because it wouldn't fit on my touch.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
I read that, but I am sure they can make it so the iPhone uses 2x16 slots! Not out of the realm of possibilities???

I'll be nice this time, maybe it will be more clear

Dear thomamom,

The reason why the iPhone has 16gbs maximum storage is that the logic board, can only fit a single NAND chip. The highest capacity nand chip currently available is a 16g NAND chip. The iPod Touch has two slots for memory, therefore that is the reason it can fit 32gb of memory. Given that there are no extra slots on the iPhone logic board, until 32gb NAND chips come out, it is physically impossible to have a 32gb iPhone at the moment.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
I disagree with both of you

Production will start early 2009

"They're apparently still a little ways away from finding their way into some actual products, however, with the companies only going so far as to say that the first samples are on track for early 2009"

In other words, whats the point of speculation that the 32gb iPhone will be out in January, if the chips DON'T EVEN EXIST

Assuming the chips are produced ( at the earliest) January 1, 2009, we can't assume that there will be a 32gb Iphone January 1, 2009. I speculate it will take a few months for Apple to start putting these chips into new products, and even then who knows if or when Apple will decide to come out with an new iphone ( or just a mid-product refresh)

Also

Just because its an year old article doesn't make it less relevant

1 year ago 16gb chips were the highest capacity nand chips available, today that still stands true

It's all very well you banging on about the chips, but there are many areas in which the iPhone needs to improve on - and Apple could simply capitalise on this by relasing an update.

Apple has publically stated that they will, "aggressively" update and market the iPhone which seems to indicate often updates. The mobile industry moves very fast, and Apple will understand that they need to stay on top of the game.

My biggest gripe is the camera and rubbish GPS chip. They need to announce a partnership with Tom Tom and put in a 5mp camera. Those updates do not need any extra nand.

TO put it simply, we don't know - don't bash others for suggesting there is an update around the corner. There WILL be another iPhone and it's not going to be in 2010 - 2mp will be ridiculous by then.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

The reason why the iPhone has 16gbs maximum storage is that the logic board, can only fit a single NAND chip. The highest capacity nand chip currently available is a 16g NAND chip. The iPod Touch has two slots for memory, therefore that is the reason it can fit 32gb of memory. Given that there are no extra slots on the iPhone logic board, until 32gb NAND chips come out, it is physically impossible to have a 32gb iPhone at the moment.

I think I need to repeat what the OP is saying NICE AND SLOWLY. He is asking why the iPhone can't implement the same technology. The same technology meaning the logic board, etc.

And by the way, not everyone here knows everything about everything, so be a little nicer when you try to explain stuff.

ccarillo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Don't wait. Get the phone now and see how you like it. I did that. Be warned that when you wait to port after activication, you are charged the activation fee at the store and then 18 at the time you call to port the nuber

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I'm in the same boat as you and I'm waiting for 32gb. 16gb just isn't enough for me...I'll still end up carrying a separate iPod around with me, which I don't want to do.

There isn't any solid word available if/when Apple will make the bump. Macworld is a good possibility though. Also though, last year when they quietly added the 16gb model, it was in early February. It was like they held it out a little while longer for people that were waiting till after Macworld to make their purchases, and then dropped the better model. B@st@rds!

So even if there isn't anything at Macworld in January, it may still be around the corner.

All a matter of how patient you are.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Don't wait. Get the phone now and see how you like it. I did that. Be warned that when you wait to port after activication, you are charged the activation fee at the store and then 18 at the time you call to port the nuber

So all it would cost me is an extra $18 to change numbers if I get the iPhone before my contract expires? That's not bad, I would do that.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
Lets throw this out there...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_ups_the_ssd_ante_with_32gb_32nm_flash_chips

Intel and their memory-producing partner, Micron, have recently started mass-producing the first of their 34nm NAND flash memory. The smaller chips allow the two companies behind them to make single chip layers with 4GB of storage. This paves the way for two layer stacks that can hold as many as 64GB.

This new and improved flash memory is currently being aimed at portable electronics such as cell phones or MP3 players. What’s even better, is the possibility of a substantial increase in size of solid-state drives! And it shouldn’t be too far off, either. Thanks to their speedy manufacturing they’re currently looking to implement the first wave of chips in early 2009.

It’s expected that one of the first companies to take advantage of the tiny chips is Apple, who has been stuck at a 32GB storage ceiling on the popular iPhone and iPod touch.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Intel and their memory-producing partner, Micron, have recently started mass-producing the first of their 34nm NAND flash memory. The smaller chips allow the two companies behind them to make single chip layers with 4GB of storage. This paves the way for two layer stacks that can hold as many as 64GB.

This new and improved flash memory is currently being aimed at portable electronics such as cell phones or MP3 players. What’s even better, is the possibility of a substantial increase in size of solid-state drives! And it shouldn’t be too far off, either. Thanks to their speedy manufacturing they’re currently looking to implement the first wave of chips in early 2009.

It’s expected that one of the first companies to take advantage of the tiny chips is Apple, who has been stuck at a 32GB storage ceiling on the popular iPhone and iPod touch.

That's exactly why I'm waiting until Macworld. They might not be released then, but they could announce a date like February 3, 2009 or something.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
My 16GB Touch is filled to the max with music, I have no videos on there. And that was a struggle, I really had to go through and eliminate some music I had on my original iPod because it wouldn't fit on my touch.

Your touch isn't an iPhone, and you won't use it in the same way you use your touch. My Classis has 100GB of music on it, but I'm not going to put 1/10th of that on my iPhone because it's a phone first and a media device second.

tlbwriter

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Your touch isn't an iPhone, and you won't use it in the same way you use your touch. My Classis has 100GB of music on it, but I'm not going to put 1/10th of that on my iPhone because it's a phone first and a media device second.

But why assume someone else is going to use their iPhone the same way you use yours? When I get one, it will completely replace my iPod - I have no intention of carrying both. So I'd like it to be able to hold at least as much as I have on my iPod.

How much of the iPhone's space is actually available for music, etc.?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
BE CAREFUL DOING THIS! I tried something similar-trying to port an existing AT&T family plan telephone number to my iPhone. The number I was trying to port was NOT UNDER CONTRACT. But, AT&T said if I did that-their computer system would interpret the CHANGING OF THE NUMBER as a termination and would assess the ETF.

Uhm, this has NOTHING to do with the OP's scenario. He is not porting within AT&T. He is porting a VERIZON number into AT&T. And no, he will not incur an ETF this method. I have done this twice, both times with success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.