Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I used to think that but I don't think it's the case anymore.

Am iphone 5s is 0 down with a two year contract. I don't think there's anyone on the planet who actually thinks Apple is giving away a phone for free. People know that there is a reason you have to sign a contract for 2 years.
[doublepost=1453164631][/doublepost]

Agree. I see no reason to not upgrade every year. "Owning" your phone is just semantics.
[doublepost=1453164886][/doublepost]

No they won't. None of that will happen.

Why would people care if the phone cost 650 if they're not going to be paying any more for it now with the new payment plans? It will be the same monthly cost.
[doublepost=1453165140][/doublepost]

It's not a "cell phone", it's the primary computer for most people.

Are you done yet? You sound like you have a vested interest in Apple's demise. It's sad.
[doublepost=1453166439][/doublepost]

Service.
Sure, the service is a large part of that, meaning that the cost of the phone itself isn't over $2000.

Older bird

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2015
I can see them offering a 36 or 48 month plan to attract low income buyers. I also predict the end of 16gb base and a 32 or 64 gb starting point so consumers will think they are getting their money's worth

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
Sure, the service is a large part of that, meaning that the cost of the phone itself isn't over $2000.
My monthly bill averages $90 / month with the added fees and taxes, which comes to $2160 over two years. I'm on the hook for that, unless I want to pay a stiff ETF. Call it what you want, but I am essentially buying something that costs $2160. So that means last year's model at $100 discount would have still ended up costing $2060, and the "free" 2 year old iPhone would've costed $1960.

What sucks is that up until now, the phones were being subsidized at $18.75 / month, and for those of us that want to keep our unlimited data plans, we will still be paying the same price for our plans with no subsidy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My monthly bill averages $90 / month with the added fees and taxes, which comes to $2160 over two years. I'm on the hook for that, unless I want to pay a stiff ETF. Call it what you want, but I am essentially buying something that costs $2160. So that means last year's model at $100 discount would have still ended up costing $2060, and the "free" 2 year old iPhone would've costed $1960.

What sucks is that up until now, the phones were being subsidized at $18.75 / month, and for those of us that want to keep our unlimited data plans, we will still be paying the same price for our plans with no subsidy.
I agree, that sucks, but the carriers change things and don't support the old stuff and realistically could just get rid of it.

That said, yes, there's the contract, and all that, but you aren't paying that money for just the phone, you are paying it for the service you are getting and using, with some part of it being there to pay off the phone. Thus the phone itself doesn't cost over $2000, the service itself costs a good part of that.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
For iPhone, it doesn't matter much as Apple now has the iPhone upgrade plan where you can get new iPhone every year. So this reversed the traditional wireless market completely, where now Apple completely sell, finance, and support the hardware, and people then just shop for carriers that they want.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Apple sells less iPhone, this is the fact. How many more less, this is the question.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
Just buy them outright and upgrade as soon as you can afford. I paid 1k for the 6 plus and skipped on the 6s because i was not ready to drop coin on a phone. Now with the 7 being completely redesign ill sell mine to recoup some of the costs and paid for the 7 upfront.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I always used to buy my handsets outright, but once O2 introduced their refresh tariffs (similar to the Next from what I can gather), it was a no-brainer to move to it:

It doesn't cost any more and O2 take the hit on an interest free 2 year loan for me. On top of that, I can sell my phone after a year and pay off the outstanding balance and get a new phone every year. If I choose to keep a phone over 2 years, the payments stop and I'm paying a lower amount every month than on the old subsidised plans

IMO, it's a far better deal for consumers

Reactions: newsman787

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Have the US monthly payments been reduced to reflect the removal of the phone subsidy?
Yes, I'm paying 40 dollars a month per line on ATT. If I bring my own phone to the party, I pay 25 on the current data plan I have, If I up that plan to a higher quota, I only pay 15 a month,

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Yes, I'm paying 40 dollars a month per line on ATT. If I bring my own phone to the party, I pay 25 on the current data plan I have, If I up that plan to a higher quota, I only pay 15 a month,
That's good to know. I never understood how they got away with charging the same amount when your contract had ended under the old system.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
That's good to know. I never understood how they got away with charging the same amount when your contract had ended under the old system.
That's not exactly correct.

Then new plans do offer a discount for being out of contract (or more accurately a penalty for taking a subsidy) however that discount is (often) less than the value of the subsidy. In other words AT&T only gave a partial discount and pocketed the rest as profit.

So under the new system if a person never upgrades then it's a better deal. But if someone upgrades on time (i.e. every 2 years) then it's actually a worse deal now.

Last edited:
Reactions: dontworry

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's not exactly correct.

Then new plans do offer a discount for being out of contract (or more accurately a penalty for taking a subsidy) however that discount is (often) less than the value of the subsidy. In other words AT&T only gave a partial discount and pocketed the rest as profit.

So under the new system if a person never upgrades then it's a better deal. But if someone upgrades on time (i.e. every 2 years) then it's actually a worse deal now.
It depends as the discount could be $15/month or $25/month.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Prior to the carriers embracing this new model. I paid 40 dollars a month per line regardless if my phone as out of contract or not. To put it another way, there was no advantage to bringing your own phone to the party. You paid the same regardless.

No at least you can pay between 15 and 25 dollars depending on the data plan and carrier.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
My days of buying brand new devices is over. I signed a 2 year deal with AT&T on Dec 21 and I can't see myself paying $800 for a new device (installment plan or upfront). Once my 6s needs to be replaced I will most likely head to swappa and by a newish device.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My days of buying brand new devices is over. I signed a 2 year deal with AT&T on Dec 21 and I can't see myself paying $800 for a new device (installment plan or upfront). Once my 6s needs to be replaced I will most likely head to swappa and by a newish device.
Well, with installment plans, assuming you are on a newer plan that gives you a discount for being on an installment plan, it's more or less like getting a subsidized phone with a 2-year contract.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
It depends as the discount could be $15/month or $25/month.
Well, with installment plans, assuming you are on a newer plan that gives you a discount for being on an installment plan, it's more or less like getting a subsidized phone with a 2-year contract.

It's usually less tho. Which is what I was trying to say.

In my situation I was paying $250 for 5 lines with 2 UDP. To go over to new plan (25GB) it would cost me $207 but then if I added the cost of the new iPhones (and selling old iPhones) It would be 300 net cost. So I would pay 50 extra each month and give up unlimited on 2 lines for capped data.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's usually less tho. Which is what I was trying to say.

In my situation I was paying $250 for 5 lines with 2 UDP. To go over to new plan (25GB) it would cost me $207 but then if I added the cost of the new iPhones (and selling old iPhones) It would be 300 net cost. So I would pay 50 extra each month and give up unlimited on 2 lines for capped data.
On my plan the discounts are $25/month for each line, so the overall cost works out to be less than it was with subsidy.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
On my plan the discounts are $25/month for each line, so the overall cost works out to be less than it was with subsidy.
That's because you are comparing the subsidy on the new plan. I'm talking about the old plans with rated minute and text plans.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I was on one of the original individual iPhone plans (started with unlimited, dropped down to 2GB).

I got together with a friend and some family members also on the old individual iPhone plans and moved to a 10GB MSV (which AT&T doubled to 20GB for free, back when they were matching that thing Sprint did). And now my FAN discount helps everyone else.

We each save about $25/month now, and get double the data. This is on the old plans with the rated minutes.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I was on one of the original individual iPhone plans (started with unlimited, dropped down to 2GB).

I got together with a friend and some family members also on the old individual iPhone plans and moved to a 10GB MSV (which AT&T doubled to 20GB for free, back when they were matching that thing Sprint did). And now my FAN discount helps everyone else.

We each save about $25/month now, and get double the data. This is on the old plans with the rated minutes.
25/month savings isn't good because 18.75 is the net savings you get for just 1 lines because of the subsidy. In other words you need to take your old cost and subtract 18.75 * each line to see the real aka net cost for service. Since you said you got together with a friend and some family members, I'm guessing you lost more than 1 subsidy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.