Toast Real Wood iPhone 6 Skin

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by john500y2k, Oct 16, 2014.

1. john500y2k macrumors member

Received my Toast wooden skin for the iPhone 6 and put it on last night.

Really really amazed at the quality of the this product and thrilled that it doesn't add any bulk to the phone. Rather than talk it to death here are some photos:

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

Would defiantly carefully reading all instructions. The inserting lightning cable and using it for alignment is brilliant and aided me in getting it spot on first time.
    IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

2. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

More Pics:

IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

The thickness/thinness of the wood sits flush with the camera which makes it great for lay on the table design. I could say that the camera is still a hairline higher than the wood but really it is whisker.
    IMG_0032.JPG

3. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

One more pic to kind of give an idea of the thickness of the wood as shown on the sim tray:
    IMG_0029.JPG

Overall I am loving this wrap the feeling of the real wood is lovely and the added grip is greatly appreciated. One thing to note on that is the grip is further improved by the laser scores that allow the wood to flex around the shape of the phone. They create a very slight ridged texture to the rounded corners.

4. deaddog, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

deaddog macrumors member

Thanks so much for the pics! I've been waiting to see some user reviews. How does the skin interfere with the curved glass? Does it create an edge like most cases? (A pic of the front and edge would be great :) )

Thanks again for sharing.

Oh yeah, and is that the walnut version?

5. Knliebe macrumors member

Love that look! Was it hard to put on correctly? And are you worried about residue on the phone when you go to take off the case?

6. calvy macrumors 65816

as a woodworker I'm really curious how they can cut any of the wood that thin and then cut out pieces along the ends to allow it to fold, all without cracking. Perhaps there's some sort of internal sticky backing that both holds it to the phone and gives the thin wood additional strength?

7. bhags8 macrumors 6502a

Toast make sweet skins. Had one on my HTC One M8 and they had a problem I guess with those but their customer service is awesome and they took care of it for me.
    Really cool colors too. Love the White Ash look.

8. Robby29 macrumors newbie

More pictures pls and does the glue stick on tightly?

9. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

The wood finishes just shy of where the metal body ends. Very precise, which helps retain the curved edges of the screen to some degree. If you swipe from the screen edge you can feel the curved body of the glass but if you go a little further right to the very edge there is a very slight lip at the base of the screen edge where the wood meets.

I should clarify the the wood side is not proud of the screen in any way so there is no lay on the table at all. The screen is far more proud than the edges of the case.

Will upload pics when I get home tonight and yeah it is the walnut version.

It was very easy to put on correctly just make sure to follow the instructions. I did make sure to take my time and not rush. It's the parody of go slower and you'll go faster.

As far as residue only tested it with the volume switched but it came off no residue. Not a fair test so can't truly say. Seen YouTube videos online that managed fine. Either way it is supposed to be a 3m adhesive made not to leave residue.

The cuts along the edges aren't cuts. They are just half cuts to create score the wood to allow it to fold. The corners are the pieces where you can see the laser has fully cut through the wood.

The adhesive backing itself most defiantly helps keep the delicate folded edges together without breaking away from the main body piece. If it didn't have the adhesive the wood would defiantly break at the score marks easily.

Immediately after applying the corners take some working in to get them to stay down but the adhesive strengthens really well over the first few hours so that just one or two quick push downs on the corners over the evening and it is fixed down solid now.

10. rudy44 macrumors member

do you find lint sticking in between the gaps in the wood? i am so close to pulling the trigger on this but that's holding me back.

11. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

Only been a two days to gauge an idea but I have found a little bit of lint does stick to the edge. Very little strands not big bits.

I have found it easy enough to get rid of just by running my fingernail lightly all the way the round the edge.

I did wonder this before I bought it as I did see the comments in other threads. My thoughts on it is I would imagine over time the exposed adhesive that collects lint will loose its tack and lint will be less attracted.

Only time will tell for this though. I haven't found the lint to be annoying yet to tell the truth.

12. johnnilcru macrumors member

johnnilcru

I love the exotic finish on the casing, plus it does not look brittle at all! Does anyone else have pictures of used Toast cases? I wish to know if they maintain their 'composure' after , say, 2 months.

13. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

maybe i missed it, but where do you buy these? i don't see the 6 on their site.

14. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

Hover over shop at the top select phones from the drop down box and then you will see a list of their collection. iPhone 6 should be a little bit down from the top.

Or here's a direct link:

http://www.toastmade.com/iphone-6/

15. deaddog macrumors member

I actually hope it wears and shows some age. I think a weathered look would be quite nice,

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

17. Robby29 macrumors newbie

Can we see more pictures. Considering getting this case

18. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Awesome thanks

19. R-ue macrumors member

Wow, this skin is beautiful. Really love the look of it. If you find a bumper that would work well with it then I am sold!

20. john500y2k thread starter macrumors member

Was going to do this a lot earlier but have been been drained by work the last few days.

Have managed to get some snaps now of the front side particularly concentrating on the screen edge. I think it gives you guys a good idea of how much of the curved screen it maintains. You can see that the plastic bevel between the screen and metal body is still visible.

Sorry about the image noise had to use my work phone :(

Attached Files:

21. soufflegirl, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014

soufflegirl macrumors member

I have a toast wood back for my iPhone 5 and it's still perfect. I'd gotten the ash first but it does show dirt and did patina. Some may like that look, I didn't so I got the walnut for my next wood back. The wood feels very much like wood whereas the Carved woodbacks (which I also really like) have a gloss to them. A friend of mine has that in bamboo which is very light and it hasn't changed colour/patinaed at all. It looks as gorgeous as the day she got hers as well. I was considering going with a Twig back but the extra little protection of the way the Toast one wraps around the sides has me reconsidering going with them again. They also do custom work and it's lovely - and plus one for their excellent customer service!

Here's a pic. Sorry about the droplr link - not sure how to add any other way from my iPad.
    http://d.pr/i/1eO2h/1x1o8OXl

22. deaddog macrumors member

Just got mine put on today. I love the look and feel of this skin. I've always done minimal cases (caudaube veil) but this feels nice and I really like the real wood. Mine looks almost exactly like the pics except for the difference in wood grain.

You can definitely still feel the curve of the glass and the overall feel of the phone is really good. I highly recommend this skin to anyone who may be on the fence.

23. Robby29 macrumors newbie

24. deaddog macrumors member

Sure, Here you go.

The one thing about this case is the lint/dust that can get stuck. It is not nearly as noticeable in person as it is in the pictures but it was also in my pocket all day rubbing against the lint that has accumulated in there. I have a feeling that the little bit of stickiness around the edges will wear off after a bit and it will be fine. Like I mentioned, it is much cleaner looking (dust wise) in person.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Robby29 macrumors newbie