Today i wanted to cry...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zFrenchy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. zFrenchy macrumors member

...like a pansy =( . I found out earlier today that i will not be able to switch to At&t and am therefore stuck with Verizon!

I know this question should not be in this thread... let alone this webpage but i have found you all to be abundant in information.

What is a good phone for verizon? Should i wait for something better to come along its way or should i buy a phone now? (i have the first chocolate ever.... so ****ing horrible) Any thoughts on a good phone?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LG Dare.
    And the iPhone is never anything worth crying over.

3. iJules macrumors member

I had a Dare, it's pretty good. Right now, you should check out either the enV touch or the LG Versa as well. The touch screen on the Dare can be tiring after a while (I just sold mine), but overall it's a very nice phone.

4. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

6. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

Brother cannot pay for the buyout of verizons plan and the price of a new phone at at&t..... and coverage is lax where he lives.

The Dare is out of the question..... i had that before i cracked the screen. I cant stand that phone for some reason. When i broke it i was actually glad because it forced me to switch phones.

Hoping for something with a real web browser.... not just a clunky one
    Also if it has wifi that would be great....

7. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I have a friend with a Dare. Can't stand it

I have not played with an enV Touch but it looks alright..

The Blackberry Tour is nice if you like smartphones...

Also, if you don't mind all the clickyness, the Blackberry storm is not a bad choice...

9. ordo1980 macrumors member

BB Curve for very little money (got mine free) or the new BB Tour for $150 - $200... just depends on what prices are too rich for your blood. All my money went to my MBP, which I'm anxiously waiting for it to ship!

And I recommended BBs because I took the OP to mean he/she wanted an iPhone and therefore is willing to get the data plan. I wouldn't go with Verizon's data/email stuff, it's crap IMO. I had an env3 for about a week before I realized how bad that verizon mail thing was. For the cost, BB is just as much. I have nationwide 450 + the $10 texting package (more than enough for me, and I still may drop it in the coming months ... I've noticed I'm starting to move farther and farther away from texting) + the BB plan.

Love my curve, by far the best phone I've ever had. If you just want voice and texting, though, then the env3 would be good. It was a pretty neat phone. But if you're going with data, go BB. I'm just not impressed by the iPhone, so don't lose any sleep over not having one. BB all the way.

10. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I hated the BB Curve. Which one do you have? I had the 8210 (I think), the red one and didn't like it. However, I missed my enV for landscape texting until biteSMS implanted it.

However, I suggested the iPod Touch since it'll be like an iPhone and has Safari for Wifi browsing like he desired.

11. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

My dad has the Curve it is a nice business phone. The Tour is soooo much sexier though!!!! It does come at a price though.

12. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

Ill probably pass on the curve. Im readin up on the storm as we speak and it seems to be fitting my needs.

To the poster who said get a ipod touch.... well i already have one. The first generation. Its battery is shot (takes 15 mins to charge and 30 mins of vid to drain) also the screen is wack.

This is why i was so insistent on the Iphone at first. I know its capabilities and they are all worth the $30/mo. However on the verizon phones i cant see much of a point.

13. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Storm would probably do you good in that case.

14. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

I havent researched it but how does it do with music and video?
    Im guessing no itunes sync..

15. ordo1980 macrumors member

I'd strongly advice against the Storm. The touch capability is nothing CLOSE to the iPhone. For touch, the iPhone is BY FAR superior to the storm. The great thing about the Curve is that it has a full-sized physical QWERTY keyboard. If you plan to be doing texting and writing emails, then a full physical QWERTY is the way to go. This was my beef with the iPhone. I need to actually type, and using a touch keyboard, ugh, no thank you.

My curve is the 8330. Every BB on verizon is full 3G (Verizon calls it EV-DO). Data speeds for most places are way better on Verizon than most any other services. Voice is obviously great as well. I'm not sure what your misgivings are about the curve, but I really would give the storm a miss. The early adopters hated it, I tried it in store and hated it and its slow interface after 45 seconds. Everyone who has a storm is anxiously awaiting the storm 2 so they can trash their storms. It's just not a well reviewed or well-spoken-of phone.

Again, not sure why you don't like the curve, but if not that then get the Tour. I personally like smaller phones, and I love that the curve is such a small and light form factor, but at the same time, full QWERTY keyboard.

If not the Curve or the Tour then I guess get the storm. But it's tough to find a big group of Storm lovers on crackberry or howardforums. Plenty of people complaining about it though. If I were you I'd get the curve for free and a new iPod touch. I'd love a new iPod touch. I opted, however, for the nano with my BTS order. And with a curve combined with Verizon's service in Pittsburgh, don't see the point in an iPod touch. Don't have any need for 802.11 internet when I have EV-DO internet which is just as fast if not faster. Love my curve. My invisible shield for it will be here tomorrow. Sooner the better, the factory shields are practically half off, but I've barely been using it the last two days ... which is tough once you start using a BB ... there's a reason the website is called crackberry.com after all.

16. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

What is wrong with me today.. I thought you meant the Tour.

I would not suggest the Storm, in that case. My friend has one, and the screen is very obnoxious.

17. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

Just about everything you said makes me tempted to get one... except for 2 factors:
    1) Im not much of a email businessman. Im 19
    2) Having to lug around a phone and a ipod touch gets annoying. one device
    that does both would be more ideal

I just checked up on the Blackberry website and they say it has wifi.... Is this true or is verizon blocking it?

18. joehahn macrumors regular

any blackberry, or i would suggest the env3 the touch screens on most phones are really un reliable

19. ordo1980 macrumors member

Hey bud, no wifi with the curve on Verizon. Verizon does block that. I guess I just have to ask why that matters? Do you have a poor Verizon signal where you live? EV-DO is full 3G, the curve and the internet service will fly with full 3G, so the wifi would be a step down. And on ANY device or ANY service, using wifi will kill your battery like no other. Better to use the device for what it was intended ... data transmission. There are pros and cons no matter what you look at. This isn't directly applicable, but consider...

You can get a Curve on AT&T or Sprint or whatever, but some of those curves are NOT 3G but DO have wifi. Ok, but so what? It still lacks 3G!!!

I think Verizon just doesn't care about wifi and doesn't see the point at all in even having it. Yes, they do cripple the phones, as the curve SHOULD be able to connect with wifi. But really, why would I ever want to do that? EV-DO is much better. Better internet speed, and better battery life for my curve. And if you don't already know ... you do NOT have to use the blackberry browser. For some things, yes, but for most casual web browsing you can download, install, and use opera mini. That's what I use for 99% of my web browsing. If you get a curve or tour, and then you get an iPod touch, within a few months, I highly doubt you'll be taking that touch anywhere with you. The BBs do the trick for internet access. MUCH better than wifi. Wifi would only be good if you were somewhere with no signal but had wifi ... and in that case ... use a computer. lol. And really, how often would you find yourself in that situation? I get a decent (at worst) signal everywhere I go. So yeah, that pretty much takes care of your second point. I just think with EV-DO there's really no need for wifi.

On the first point ... well taken if you don't do email. But that's a service question not at all related to the phone. You either get BB service or you get the Verizon data plan. With the VZ data plan, however, you have to use their web browser and web email programs, and comparatively speaking, they suck compared to BB service. Not even close. and believe me, I know, I just tried the env3 for a week. Took it back and got my curve. Trust me, you'll want the BB data plan over the VZ data plan just for the internet use aspect. You'll have email capability just as a result of having the BB service, so that's always there should you ever need email for something. What if you're away from home, get an email about a bill or something that doesn't look right, and you want to check it out. Just click the hyperlink in ur email and go to the page and check it out. I've been monitoring where my invisible shields, my ipod nano, and my mbp are on the web on my phone. No need to get on my computer every 5 minutes. So there def are scenarios where having email is awesome. and you're 19, like you said, maybe within the next 2 years email might become more important to you for one reason or another.

20. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

That all sounds well and good and i think that if i go for a new phone it would be the curve. The thing holding me back is how does the media fare?
    Will it sync to itunes is a major concern of mine.

21. ordo1980 macrumors member

Oh man, I honestly have no clue on that. I personally only have music on my ipod, and that's why i got a nano with the BTS promotion. Small, light, and an ipod. Easy for me to carry around with me on campus, going to law school this fall. I don't know why I'd want to use my curve for a media player, I'd imagine that also would run down the battery like a mother, but again, no clue. Sorry I can't help you on that one. I will say this... the BB does have the microSDHC card option. So I guess even if it didn't sync with itunes, I could take the SD card, load it in my (ordered) mbp, transfer media that way, and then on in to my phone. So even if syncing didn't work I could do that. But honestly, I just don't know why I'd wanna do that...

I was curious, and I just googled to look, and yes, i guess you can sync. I guess it's a BB application called blackberry media sync. I just personally wouldn't do it, can't be good for battery life. Battery has enough going on doing email, voice, and data. lol. I'd think it a better idea to give the poor thing a break and do your music with an iPod. Besides... iPods rock!!!! I couldn't imagine not using one. I love Apple stuff, I just regard the iPhone as crap. hahahahaha. Hope that all helps.

22. lag1090 macrumors 6502

I'd have to agree with the others. You being unable to purchase an iPhone isn't something to cry over.

23. zFrenchy thread starter macrumors member

I didnt actually cry..... more of a little dead inside.
    Its just that i do know what a iphone can do, and to me it is extremely useful for the **** i have to do every day.

and to ordo1980 you have given me a lot to think about.
    thx

24. macuser154 macrumors 6502

Have you considered unlocking an iPhone to work on Verizon?

25. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

AT&T and Verizon use two different networks for cellular coverage, therefore that would be out of the question. Unfortunately. :(

I recommend the env3, great little device. :)