Today marks Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by orestes1984, Nov 11, 2014.

1. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

96 years since the end of World War I, the war that was supposed to end all wars. From an Australian perspective and a population of under 5 million almost 1 in 10 enlisted for a total of 417,000 active service men and women, 332,000 served overseas, 152,000 were wounded and 61,000 never came home.

Today we will remember the courage, achievements, pains and losses of all who have served and we will draw strength from their memories.

Lest we forget.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Not everywhere.

November 11
    November 11, the 11th of the 11th, was an important date. November 11 is exactly 40 days before December 21, the shortest day. This happens to be the feast day of sint Maarten (st. Martin's day). This day is celebrated in some parts of Groningen, North Holland and the southern part of Limburg and to a lesser extent in South Holland and Zeeland. This feast is the beginning of the dark period before christmas and the long days of winter.[1]

For centuries, November 11, was the day that the year's work was deemed to be done. The barns were filled for the winter, the selected livestock would have been slaughtered and very importantly: the lease, property taxes, interests, and tithe were to be paid. These often weighed very heavily on the population. A year of scraping, frugality and putting every penny aside, would end after the payment on 11 November.

In both the Rhenish and the Burgundian carnaval 11-11 plays an important role. At 11-11 is the first of court meetings by the Council of Eleven held in preparation for the upcoming carnaval. During this meeting will also the new Prince be announced. In Brabant at the same meeting the new carnaval mottos are disclosed by the prince. Also it is the start of the building of the carnaval floats for the coming parade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_in_the_Netherlands#November_11

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For the US, it went from Armistices day to Veteran's day as we remember those who fought in the wars, not just WWI but all the conflicts.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

11.11. 11:11 the traditional carnival starting date / time

we already had the Saint Martin celebrations on the last friday ... because honestly it needs to be straight before a weekend because cheap wine does what it does best: delivering massive headaches

Now back to eating speculatius ... the food of the gods

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Based on a real event, although a movie, I think of old Ryan in Saving Private Ryan experiencing survivors guilt asking his wife if he led a good life, in essence a worthy life for the sacrifice of thousands of young men and he was there. Today I percieve a disconnect among the general populace which needs to be restored.

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served honorably for their respective countries!
    USMC_2014-Nov-11.jpg

7. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

We recognise all who fought the armistice just happens to reflect on when World War I ended. We recognise the armistice with veterans around the world including those Americans we've fought along side.

Whether you call it remembrance day, or veterans day, it is a day today to remember all those who have fought in conflict since. Here in Australia we have ANZAC day for our World War 1 soldiers.

Happy Veterans Day to the majority of US based users here on MacRumors.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

To mark the Centenary of the start of the First World war, 888,246 ceramic poppies have been 'planted' at the Tower of London, one for every soldier from the UK, Australia and the Commonwealth killed during the war.

They will be sold off later and the proceeds are expected to raise in excess of £15m for charity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wow, that's amazing. From the aerial view it looks like it would be the blood shed during the war too. Very sobering.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Impressive and a great idea!

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Unintentionally, I've finally got round to watching "Band of Brothers" in the last week. Just seen ep6 and it really is eye opening.

I have so much respect for the guys fighting in the war back then. Really was horrendous.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I watch Band of Brothers every year beginning today. It never gets old.

13. Happybunny macrumors 68000

The 11 November is just one day in the year.

I think the greatest tribute to the fallen of WWI is daily in Ieper, at the Menin Gate, first started in 1928.

The Last post is played by the Fire Service.

http://www.lastpost.be/nl/home

14. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

To many around the world it's far from just another date on the calendar, it marks one of the most significant remembrance dates of course there are many others.

For Britain, Australia and New Zealand, and also Turkey April 25th marks the day of landing on the beaches at Gallipoli and it is recognised by many in those regions as the most significant war theatre our soldiers have fought in.

This day is for those of us who remember our veterans on the 11th of November however.

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Have you been to see it? Was thinking about taking a trip up there (i'm near Brighton). Looks epic.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You do it One day these do it 365 days

Do you have any idea what the Menin Gate Tribute is, these people do this in remembrance of the fallen of WWI EVERYDAY.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Every day this ceremony takes place, it lasts about 45 minutes, it's been going on since 1928, only stopping for WWII, but the day Ieper was liberated it was business as usually and the ceremony took place.

17. orestes1984, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

This isn't a matter of contest, I'm not sure why you're trying to make it so. I remember every day that my grandfather liberated Greece from Nazi Germany, everyone has their own moments of significance. Remembrance/Veterans day is just another day where it can be remembered with extra added significance.

My grandfather was a commissioned officer serving during World War II, he is the first on the left leading the line.

[​IMG]

18. jeremy h, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014

jeremy h macrumors 6502

The Menin gate tribute is well known here in the UK. It often features heavily on the news (particularly today). I also don't understand this talk of any other day, carnivals etc in the context of the OP's post.

I think too, perhaps, the whole Poppy appeal thing isn't translating very well if it's being compared to the Menin gate service.

The poppy is a symbol of hope - it was the only flower that grew in the churned up cornfields. No matter how many shells exploded, men were killed a flower could still grow. The wearing of artificial ones was was, in a pre-welfare state age, an attempt to give wounded and maimed men who fought some income and self respect. Veterans of the conflict who could find no other work were employed to make poppies that members of the public would buy and wear in the run up to armistice day.

All monies raised go to supporting them, other veterans and their families. When we buy a poppy we're not remembering a war as such - we're continuing the tradition of trying to offer a future to someone who otherwise might have lost theirs.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I haven't been but my parents visited last month and Mom has placed her order for one of the poppies.

20. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

If you want to argue about the politics of war, please take it to the PRSI forum.

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I must say that it was special remembrance, It was shown here on TV.

22. orestes1984 thread starter macrumors 65816

There is no carnival it's a remembrance simply of what we fought for and paying due respect to those who served and those who gave their lives as the ultimate sacrifice.

As noted if you want to make anymore of it, take it to the existing thread in PRSI.

23. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I was just pointing out that not every body has remembrance day on the 11 Nov.

The Netherlands didn't even fight the WWI war, we have a day of the dead on 4 May for WWII.

But for many people around the world/Europe 11 Nov is just a normal day.

It also happens to be the start of the Carnaval season, it has been the start for Carnaval season for hundreds of years. It's the same every year, 11-11 is a magic number to Carnaval clubs

It's also the day of St Martin, when children come to your door to sing, they then get sweets.

Nobody was trying to be disrespectful, I was just answering Jeremy h question.

Lets just leave at that.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

Well onward to remembering the old veterans of my family who made their sacrifices against italy in 1917 in WW1 and those who survived WW2:

*My grandfather was severly injured by artillery splinters when serving on the western front and then went into a POW while still injured.
    *One of his older brothers fought first in Finland in an artillery unit until he lost of of his fingers, and then on the eastern front untill the end. Just days before the armistice deserted with a friend and drove back home on a bike over 300 miles.
    *The older brother of my grandmother survived in center of the eastern front and was taken prisoner winter 1944.
    He returned 1955 after 10 years of gulag somewhere in sibiria.

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Talking about WWII, I trump you all I WAS BORN IN 1944.:p