Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In what has become one of the most defining moments in Apple's history, today marks the 20th anniversary of Steve Jobs introducing the original iPod at a small press event at the Town Hall auditorium at Apple's former Infinite Loop headquarters.

apple-website-ipod-october-2001.jpg

Above is a snapshot of what Apple's website looked like on October 23, 2001, the day the iPod was announced, courtesy of the Wayback Machine.

Our news story covering the original iPod's announcement is still live on our website, and the comment section on the story is well known for containing several negative comments about the device. One commenter described the iPod as "far from revolutionary" and another commenter wrote "all this hype for something so ridiculous!"

Of course, the iPod turned out to be one of the most important products in Apple's history and, along with the original iMac, helped the company become successful again after it flirted with bankruptcy in the late 1990s.

Jobs famously pitched the iPod as offering "1,000 songs in your pocket," and he unveiled the device by pulling it out of his own pocket.

"With iPod, Apple has invented a whole new category of digital music player that lets you put your entire music collection in your pocket and listen to it wherever you go," said Jobs in a press release. "With iPod, listening to music will never be the same again."

The iPod has since become a niche product for Apple, with the iPod touch being the only remaining model available for purchase today after the iPod classic was discontinued in 2014 and the iPod nano and iPod shuffle were discontinued in 2017. In fact, as of this week, the iPod touch's product page is only advertised in the footer of Apple's website.

Apple's former senior vice president of the iPod team Tony Fadell reflected on creating the iPod in an interview published yesterday.

Article Link: Today Marks the 20th Anniversary of the iPod

Last edited:

monster620ie

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
I remember watching the commercials for iPod player and thinking I need that and wishing I had one. I remember knowing someone that had I think it was like 5gig version or so. When ipod3 came, I got the 40gb. one and I still have it.

RickyB

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Here’s a question from the tabs at the top of that website image. What was iCards?

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I was in college.

The two bigs things . . . and I think they were both in that fall . . . were the iPod and the Segway.

Strangely, I actually remember being more hyped about the Segway because there was a quote going around where Steve Jobs supposedly claimed it was going to change cities and the entire way we lived. And I remember watching the announcement on the Today show, and it was a little underwhelming.

I'm sure I watched the iPod reveal, but I don't remember it as well. I bought one by the end of the year, though.

As I like to point out, the original iPod has a faster connection port than the iPhone 13 Pro Max of today (USB 2 technically faster at its maximum, but FireWire faster in reality)!

Reactions: n0va

Duncan-UK

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2006
Yep it’s the very worst thing about proprietorial obsessives. They don’t live in the real world, have never had to make a commercial decision and can perform mental gymnastics at will.

Reactions: haruhiko

Craigwilliam

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Auckland
That website design really brings back memories, used to love that subtle pinstripe motif that they used back then and the way Macs drew fonts was just soo much better than what you saw on windows. I didn't get an iPod until 2005 but I've still got it and it runs when it's charged, even if I did a pretty crap job of replacing the battery to the point that it doesn't close properly anymore.
People say that the iPhone made Apple successful, but it was really the iPod that made them big enough to make the iPhone. I remember how it got to a point where every Macworld people would complain that something like 90% of the show was people showing off their iPod accessories and actual Mac stuff was pushed back into the corner somewhere or something. Every time Steve would launch the newest iPod he would bring up the market share graph and every time the comparators would get smaller and smaller to the point where I think Apple had 90% of the portable music market. I'm just making up that number because I don't remember but it was something crazy like that, you don't get percentages like that with iPhone anymore, the android market is too diverse to allow it.

AndiG

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2008
Germany
Loved the Clickwheel on my 1st gen iPod Nano. Apple scrapped the Clickwheel.

Did send it in for repair and Apple scrapped my iPod Nano and replaced it with a 6G …

Sad story

kid1230

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
California
i just found my 2nd gen ipod touch with ios 4 from 2008... 10-13 years and the battery is fully charged still after few days that i took it off the charger.. meanwhile my ipod nano from 2009 can't hold a charge for its dear life.

matrix07

macrumors 604
Jun 24, 2010
iCan't believe it!

It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.
Something just doesn't change ?

It never ceases to amaze me.

No matter what Apple does there are always people who are NEVER happy.
Spoken from 2001. So true. ♥️

Last edited:

Scoot65

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I still use my 2nd Get 20GB iPod regularly, I've had to replace the HD once and it's had several batteries over the years. The third party batteries never seem to last a long as the original Apple one did. In fact it was just last weekend I had it on charge and as it sat there, I thought how good it looks even after all of these years.

Sppiiff

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Portugal
Had sold my Pismo G3 few days before, and had a new G4 in hands when iPod was announced. Good reason to spend more money. still have it. still works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.