Today was amazing!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacCubed, Dec 13, 2015.

1. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Today I received 2 presents from my parents and little brother, neither of which I expected. I would send my mom some eBay links for ideas and some of them sold. I know what my mom's eBay name is, but I didn't recognize the one of the winning bidder. So I opened a box and to my surprise, there was the pristine 500MHz TiBook I found on eBay($9!!!). Then my brother brought out another box, I opened it up and the second I saw the bottom of the device I know what it was. A G4 Cube! I was so shocked about it! I immediately ran upstairs with the TiBook and the Cube to test them. The TiBook was listed as "Parts and Repair", claiming it wouldn't turn on. I instantly thought "Dead PRAM" but once I plugged it in, it went BONG and fired right up. There was no hard drive, so I took the cable from my dead 667MHz Ti, along with the mounting cables and such. Currently I'm going out, and it's at home installing Leopard over USB 1.1(This may take years). As for the Cube, it came with the PSU, an Apple mouse, and a USB wireless G wifi adapter. The Cube came with Tiger installed, along with iWork 08 and Office 08. Both machines came with upgraded RAM, the TiBook at 512MB and the Cube at 256MB. I am gonna try(again) to pull the hard drive from the cube and install Leopard using my Quad. The Molex cable is stuck and I can't get it out. I'm gonna post some better pictures later, but I have 2 of both the TiBook and the Cube image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@MacCubed I am a huge fan of the TiBooks and am jealous that you got one in such great shape! Take good care of that as one day, it will be worth quite a bit both in novelty and value.

3. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah I got really lucky! The only flaws are that there is a bit of paint rub on one of the hinges, and there is a small dent in the top corner of the screen. It's barely noticeable too

4. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I can't upload anymore pics tonight, I will tomorrow. I got Leopard on the TiBook, and Leopard is currently installing onto the HDD of the Cube.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Two of my all time favorite designs right there! A new Mac makes for a great day. Id leave the HDD in the cube and just boot it into target disk mode and attach to the G5 that way.

6. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I already have Leopard installed on the HDD via the Quad. The only issue is that like 30 minutes ago, I went to put the HDD back in before I left for school, and one of the screws got stuck and it got stripped a bit. I guess I'll get it out somehow and use another screw to secure the bracket in place. Oh well

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Altemose, these old Ti's last if you are careful. I wish the back of mine wasn't as dented, but other than that, its in supreme condition. Also, congrats OP, I wish my parents would buy me old macs for presents.

8. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Haha my dad is somewhat against it, as there are computers piling up now. I am gonna move my Lomabrd to my bedroom, as I have Ethernet there and the battery somewhat works. I do however need to get a new battery for the TiBook. An mSATA SSD and 1GB RAM would also be nice. As for the Cube, the 60GB drive I was gonna put into it conveniently died the other day, so I may pick up a cheap SSD

9. domini99 macrumors member

domini99

G4 cube?
    Damn!

Over here I occasionally find a G4 or G5 tower, the most spectacular I've found was an iMac G5 with a broken PSU.

People over here usually just dump them in the trash instead of putting them out for some loving person to buy.

10. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Haha I know how you feel, the middle school near me just threw out a whole bunch of eMacs and iMac G5's. Currently I am trying to get 4.1.9 firmware installed on the Cube, but I can't get the file to work lol. I am typing this from the TiBook and I am using the Hawking USB B/G Wifi adapter on it. It came with the Cube, but as I have Ethernet right where it is gonna sit, there is no point in using the adapter. I have an AirPort card, but I can't find it. I have no joke torn just about every inch of my room and drawers looking for it.

11. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

If this is what you are looking for, just send me a PM?

IMG_0211.jpg

12. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

That's exactly what I am looking for. I know I have one, but I can't figure out where I put it. The other day I was looking at my dead TiBook and I was storing it in the PCMIA slot, I took it out and put it somewhere but I don't know where it went lol

13. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

So today I took some pics of the TiBook and here they are: IMG_4306.jpeg IMG_4693.jpeg IMG_5746.jpeg IMG_6017.jpeg IMG_7529.jpeg IMG_4553.jpeg

The Cube is currently updating to 10.5.8(I think I finally fixed Leopard)

14. thescotsman4 macrumors member

thescotsman4

That's a good looking TiBook! I fondly remember using one to wire pictures from The Scottish Open golf tournament years ago, tagging along as a teenager with my Dad who was taking pictures at the course for the papers. I think it may have still been on OS9 at that point!

15. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Thanks! I remember in 5th grade I went to DC for a field trip and we went to a museum, there was this computer on display and I thought it was some lame HP or Dell, turns out it was a TiBook lol! I may still have the picture, I will have to look for it

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I remember being the third owner of my 400mhz TiBook during Christmas 2001. The Mac was about 9 or 10 months old. :D

I was 31. ;)

The first owner was my sister's boyfriend (at the time) who gave it to my mom, who gave it to me.

That's the FrankenMac that I've spoken of a few times here. The screen is still going in my son's TiBook though.

Went through three logicboards before I finally gave it up.

17. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Great presents. Good for you! I too have a TiBook, but not as prestine as yours. I'm somewhat jealous.
    In fact this has given me some thoughts on putting together a new thread entitled, Tale of a TiBook.

18. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Go ahead! Do it! In other news, the Cube FINALLY after 3 days of working on it, has Leopard installed! I just finished re-configuring my desk to accommodate another monitor and of course, the Cube! Thanks to another thread here I have the app "Synergy" up and running on my Quad and Cube, this app allows me to share my mouse and keyboard between 2 computers, in this case, my Quad and my Cube. I installed "Mountain Leopard" and am currently installing @gavinstubbs99's Yosemite icon pack (On the Cube). I will post a pic of my desk from my phone, as I am typing this from my Quad.

19. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

20. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

So this post is a test from the Cube using TFF. Indexing is taking forever, and once it finishes, I will be installing iWork 09 along with the drivers from my printer

21. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

MacCubed, I like your workspace! Makes me realize I really must try and improve on my collection of G4 Powerbooks. Don't hold your breath, but I'm working on it.

22. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Thanks! I just moved some stuff around to fit the cube and display in this is what it used to look like: IMG_0241.jpg

23. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

And that is a really bad picture lol! I didn't realize until I posted it

24. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I finally found the AirPort card! Guess where it was? In my 667MHz TiBook! When I first was looking for it, I though I may have put it in the 667, as it used to sit in the PCMIA slot for some reason. But I didn't check inside cause I thought "I would't have put it back where I found it!" And of course, I did....

25. MacCubed thread starter macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Update! So the cube now has a 60GB HDD in it, and the TiBook has a newer(more quiet) 30GB drive, and the old one is going back in the Lombard