Toddler buys real digger online

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cosmokanga2, May 22, 2009.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

BBC

Best news article of the day!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Serves the foolish parents right, letting their toddler use the computer without supervision.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The parents were asleep. The kid probably walked out of their room and did it. It's not really their fault.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

And yet, leaving an unattended computer logged on is never a good idea

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Kid was probably so disappointed they weren't getting that cool ass Tonka toy they won on ebay. Kid sat up for hours waiting to get that last winning bid in.:D

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sometime in the future, the universe will end accidently due to an automatic log-in followed by a click on the wrong virtual button by a child. The child has always clicked it, and he always will. We always let him and we always will let him. The moment is structured that way.

7. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Probably bid 2 billon!

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's a good idea for parents to watch their child. Unfortunately, there are occasions it's not possible, such as this one. In all likelihood, they didn't know, assuming the contents of the story are accurate (asleep).
    This would be my guess, but society can hold them accountable as parents. I'd imagine they didn't realize the potential damage before this incident. Fortunately, the seller wasn't a problem. :)

It's a really good idea to make a separate account, and set permissions for kids though. ;)
    LOL :D

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Which is around $2 billion real dollars. :p

Besides, you can put a maximum bid of $2 bn and still win an auction for $20,000.

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

They should be locking their computers or logging off when they are done. I bet they learned their lesson thought. At least it's eBay, people always flake out on payments. :)

12. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    Well it's not quite eBay. It's TradeMe, it's our Kiwi answer to eBay. People still pike out of won auctions, but not in the frequency seen on eBay.

13. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

No offense meant, but I'm curious if those here that are criticizing the parents are actually parents themselves?

;)

14. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I'm not. :) But I'm going to criticize anyway. Especially if you consider the parents should have some precautions about their computer/auto-logins, they need to have a bit of common sense.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

good in theory but lets face it here. How many of us here really lock out personal computers out and using the saved password feature for most everything.

Now lets mix that with parents who had been going years before the little one came around and click on it. Having a new kid is going is still going to make it hard to change some old habits like that old kids it is not so much of an issue. Younger ones this things can happen. If I wanted to I could easily go on to my parents computer and have access to quite a few sites to be able to buy stufff off of with just auto log on feature. Mind you I am 26 years old and my youngest sibling is 19 so it not so much of a big deal.

16. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Security > Require password to wake...? Me, for a start. Never know when my laptop will go walkies. They have another reason, but just as obvious in my opinion.

Also, I'm not very familiar with online auctions but a 3-year-old child monitoring and submitting ever-increasing bids online? Am I missing something?

17. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Maybe he was the only bidder? It must be a pretty user friendly website if a three-year-old can do it. ;)

18. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    I am unfamiliar with eBay, so excuse me if this is a feature shared with eBay. On TradeMe we have a feature called "Auto Bid" this would've allowed the child to put in the figure, and have it constantly beat the next bidder. I suspect however the child would've clicked the "Buy Now" button, instantly sealing the deal at the vendors pre-specified price.

19. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Oh, right. I can see how a big flashing BUY button would be attractive to a three year old that can read 'buy'... :D

20. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

A friend of mine bought an actual tractor on eBay once by mistake. He thought it was a model and only realised the error when the postage was £300 or something.

I don't think he was drunk at the time either so that made it all the worse :D

21. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

I saw a tractor once. ;)

Seriously, the closest experience I've had was when one-click was enabled on my Amazon account. A package of multiple diet books arrived. When I asked my wife if she ordered them, she said "I was just browsing on Amazon.com but didn't buy anything." Yeah, right! Thereafter I disabled one-click and reminded her to use fast-user switching since preferences for all applications are user-specific. Fortunately, her click spree did not exceed $60.

22. GedBlue macrumors member

GedBlue

Back in the day I once, whilst signed into eBay did a "Buy It Now" by accident - felt so guilty, I ended up reimbursing him for his listing fees!
    It's easy to do.
    But parents should give their child a separate (and limited) user account!

23. rstansby macrumors 6502

My kid clicked on a song I had in iTunes, and somehow got to the iTunes store for that album. Then he bought the album from itunes. It cost me $10 and I already owned the CD :(

Needless to say I turned off the 1-click buying feature.

24. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

There is always something interesting to read here on MacRumors. :rolleyes:

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

no, it is not. i still wonder how they didn't hear the kid get up?