Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
No offense meant, but I'm curious if those here that are criticizing the parents are actually parents themselves?

;)

I am. But i only have a 4 month old so i guess my opinion isn't much just yet.

But i will agree with others, the parents were probably asleep when the kid did this. I wouldn't hold the parents responsible past enabling password protection on their computers, and logging off after each use.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I am. But i only have a 4 month old so i guess my opinion isn't much just yet.

But i will agree with others, the parents were probably asleep when the kid did this. I wouldn't hold the parents responsible past enabling password protection on their computers, and logging off after each use.

Oh, your opinion is plenty after four months! I have a 3.5 year old boy and we want to try for another, but those first six months are so rough that we just can't bring ourselves to take the plunge yet. As I always say though, it gives us plenty of time for more practice! :D

In regards to the criticism of the parents for not locking their computers, I do agree to a point. There are just some things that are learned by experience. Obviously things like blocking power outlets, childproofing cupboards, hiding knives and poison, etc... take priority. Sometimes something as simple as password-protecting your computer is overlooked, especially since it's relatively innocent. There was no demand from the seller to get the money after it was discovered what happened.

So, yeah, the computer should be password protected and these things won't happen. But cut the parents some slack, perhaps the kid hadn't really been on the computer much and the concern wasn't there. Who knows.

Still a funny story. :)

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
That crazy, have a 3 year old at home, he love to play with our old laptop we have around the house. I let him, BUT I watch him very carefully. kids these days are a lot smart then when we were 3 :eek:

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Sounds like those parents need the parental controls of OS X 10.5. Also time to start teaching that child how to log in to her own (heavily locked down) account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.