Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Was Elgan's contract only 2 years, in which case he left 2 weeks early. Did he realize that TNT was a sinking ship and decided he wanted out. Or did Leo say, this show is a mess and Elgan was a mistake but we still want him around so we will say he wanted to travel.
I don't know but if Elgan was fired I doubt he would stick around for the other shows. In any case the point is that it seems it was an amicable breakup.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
There is no spin. He decided that he wanted to travel again which he couldn't do as the TNT anchor. I don't care for Leo but let's not make things up.
There most certainly is spin. Elgan, Leo and Leo's new wife are talking about how this move is "great" for both Elgan and for TWiT.

Perhaps "shown the door" was a bit too strong, but please don't suggest that I've made anything up. The fact remains that the guy Leo hired to succeed Tom Merritt — a lightning rod of a move that led to the creation of this thread — is no longer working at TWiT.

I don't know but if Elgan was fired I doubt he would stick around for the other shows. In any case the point is that it seems it was an amicable breakup.
Well, Tom Merritt said nice things about Leo during a farewell speech on TNT, and still appears on TWiT shows. Yet he definitely was fired. So perhaps Mike Elgan is just following in Tom's footsteps — again.

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
There most certainly is spin. Elgan, Leo and Leo's new wife are talking about how this move is "great" for both Elgan and for TWiT.

Perhaps "shown the door" was a bit too strong, but please don't suggest that I've made anything up. The fact remains that the guy Leo hired to succeed Tom Merritt — a lightning rod of a move that led to the creation of this thread — is no longer working at TWiT.

Well, Tom Merritt said nice things about Leo during a farewell speech on TNT, and still appears on TWiT shows. Yet he definitely was fired. So perhaps Mike Elgan is just following in Tom's footsteps — again.
Yes but you're still implying that Elgan was fired with absolutely no proof of anything. Both sides are saying that he wanted to get back to globetrotting. Why don't we take this at face value until something else comes of it, if it does? There's no reason to fan flames where there's not even a spark, right?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I think Merritt, Dvorak, and Elgan should put together their own show. Now THAT I would watch.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think Merritt, Dvorak, and Elgan should put together their own show. Now THAT I would watch.
I try not to watch anything with Elgan in it. He is so dry and dull. Even his Google Plus account is dull.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I think Tom wanted out long ago, he saw the direction TWiT was going in and how he could be more successful elsewhere. Leo really is tanking his own network just to make more money.
I think you've summed it up. No one is perfect, Leo's been doing this a long time. Perhaps it's cash out soon...

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Regardless of whether they were fired or if they quit on their own accord, the truly talented reporters who made TWiT interesting have moved on. It's probably time for Leo to fold up the tent.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Mike Elgan was terrible. I loathed listening to him on the specials when Leo was off globetrotting with his new wife. The only person on TWiT I hate listening to more is Rene Ritche on MacBreak Weekly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.