Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So another one bites the dust. That's too bad. The only podcast I'm listening to nowadays is Security Now. And that's just for Steve Gibson's knowledge and that's the show where Leo speaks the least.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Wow!

Leo and his wife/boss/CEO had an on-air argument today. Leo was trying to explain why iPad Today doesn't have any advertisers, and she basically told him to shut up and that he didn't know what he was talking about. It was awkward, embarrassing, and sad.

I have no way of knowing, but I strongly suspect that TWiT is in very deep financial trouble.

What I wonder is why Leo, who was seemingly running a very successful operation during the "TWiT Cottage" days, would hire his girlfriend as the company CEO. Does anyone know anything about her executive history? Was she a successful CEO at another startup?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Leo and his wife/boss/CEO had an on-air argument today. Leo was trying to explain why iPad Today doesn't have any advertisers, and she basically told him to shut up and that he didn't know what he was talking about. It was awkward, embarrassing, and sad.

I have no way of knowing, but I strongly suspect that TWiT is in very deep financial trouble.

What I wonder is why Leo, who was seemingly running a very successful operation during the "TWiT Cottage" days, would hire his girlfriend as the company CEO. Does anyone know anything about her executive history? Was she a successful CEO at another startup?

I wonder how much longer before the TWIT empire falls. As long as Leo is at the helm, I think they're heading for big trouble.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I suspect it was all the money that was spent on the new studio and all that fancy broadcasting equipment. That was big money, and a big risk for what is basically a video blogging company making podcasts. That type of company can only make so much, no matter how many eyeballs they have or how many different shows. I think at this point he would be smart to rent out the studio at times for local tv shows, radio shows, things like that.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Don't forget that Leo buys just about every new computer and gadget that comes out, as well as every app in the App Store. I only watched MBW, iPad Today and Security Now before. It seemed like he was always buying something. He has to be making some serious coin the way he spends money on the few shows that I used to watch. That, or he buys on credit...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Don't forget that Leo buys just about every new computer and gadget that comes out, as well as every app in the App Store. I only watched MBW, iPad Today and Security Now before. It seemed like he was always buying something. He has to be making some serious coin the way he spends money on the few shows that I used to watch. That, or he buys on credit...

He has mentioned many times that the majority of his salary is from the radio show. I think he banks 250k a year.

Dane was the smartest one there but he said things Leo didn't want to hear so he was canned. Lisa really was the downfall of the network.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
He has mentioned many times that the majority of his salary is from the radio show. I think he banks 250k a year.

Dane was the smartest one there but he said things Leo didn't want to hear so he was canned. Lisa really was the downfall of the network.

Interesting. I have to wonder though, how much of that 250k he makes goes towards salaries, taxes and business expenses <-- that being a broad term! :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Interesting. I have to wonder though, how much of that 250k he makes goes towards salaries, taxes and business expenses <-- that being a broad term! :p
The number might be higher than that. I think the operating budget is separate from his salary. At one point they were pulling in 2 million a year from sales. That number might be lower now. Nobody has ever seen the books so who knows what the real numbers are.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The number might be higher than that. I think the operating budget is separate from his salary. At one point they were pulling in 2 million a year from sales. That number might be lower now. Nobody has ever seen the books so who knows what the real numbers are.

Good points and I'm confident you're right; no one will really know the true details.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Leo has at times suggested that he would like to have his network bought out. In hindsight, it seems that was what he was gambling on when he moved out of the cottage and into a custom-built, state-of-the-art studio.

Suitors (if there really were any) might have been impressed at first, when the shiny studio opened and it was teeming with activity, and TWiT was seemingly awash in cash.

But the recent firings and layoffs — with genuine talent being shown the door and nobody brought in to replace them — suggest that not all is right in Leoville.

Anyone watching the live feed between shows can see that — the studio is mostly dark and mostly empty. It definitely doesn't look like a place where business is buzzing.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Leo has at times suggested that he would like to have his network bought out. In hindsight, it seems that was what he was gambling on when he moved out of the cottage and into a custom-built, state-of-the-art studio. ...

Leo is TWiT's biggest asset, somebody buying TWiT is still basically buying the Leo Broadcasting Corporation. Leo is nearing retirement age and is not the kind of person who is going to take orders from a new owner. I'm not sure why someone would pay(risk) a lot of money on a business with little value beyond Leo.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Leo is TWiT's biggest asset, somebody buying TWiT is still basically buying the Leo Broadcasting Corporation. Leo is nearing retirement age and is not the kind of person who is going to take orders from a new owner. I'm not sure why someone would pay(risk) a lot of money on a business with little value beyond Leo.
Leo wants you to think it is all about him. And that will be the networks downfall. Sure he has the voice and the skills but it is not all about him.

Leo needs talented people around him, the problem is they will upstage him

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
Leo needs talented people around him, the problem is they will upstage him

I think he'd be ecstatic if he had a stable full of popular, capable, hosts who could take over the network output, rake in advertising, and allow him to work only two days a week on his radio show.

He's tried hiring talent like Tom Merritt(decided to move to LA), Becky Worley(decided she liked traditional media better?), Iyaz (never really found a niche and left). He's tried various shows that we assume didn't pull in revenue despite having reasonable runs - The Social Hour, Dr. Kiki's Science Hour, TWiT Photo.

I'm certain if someone gave him a guaranteed plan to produce a financially successful network, without his on-air participation, he'd take it.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think he'd be ecstatic if he had a stable full of popular, capable, hosts who could take over the network output, rake in advertising, and allow him to work only two days a week on his radio show.

He's tried hiring talent like Tom Merritt(decided to move to LA), Becky Worley(decided she liked traditional media better?), Iyaz (never really found a niche and left). He's tried various shows that we assume didn't pull in revenue despite having reasonable runs - The Social Hour, Dr. Kiki's Science Hour, TWiT Photo.

I'm certain if someone gave him a guaranteed plan to produce a financially successful network, without his on-air participation, he'd take it.
Tom left because his wife got a job with Google in LA. iYaz had no reason to stay with Tom gone. Plus I don't think Leo is easy to work with. Leo just doesn't want to pay good hosts and they don't want to move to Petaluma. This is why he can't get good help.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This is just my opinion, but I also think he gives off a kind of "creepy uncle" vibe, particularly when he's talking to or about women. Some of the stuff he has said on-air to Sarah Lane and Jolie O'Dell made me cringe.

I'm sure potential investors take note of that sort of thing, too. Nobody wants to buy into a potential sexual-harassment lawsuit.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
My issue with TWIT is how phoney Leo is.

I hate his fake laughter and constant interrupting others in mid-sentence.

Then there's his fake admiration for the iPhone and iOS. Right after WWDC he says he switching back to iOS to grow his MacBreak Weekly audience and sell advertising space. Now a few months later, he's saying iOS is outdated.

I don't care if he's a Mac fan or not. But just don't bull ***** just to make ad revenue.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
My issue with TWIT is how phoney Leo is.

I hate his fake laughter and constant interrupting others in mid-sentence.

Then there's his fake admiration for the iPhone and iOS. Right after WWDC he says he switching back to iOS to grow his MacBreak Weekly audience and sell advertising space. Now a few months later, he's saying iOS is outdated.

I don't care if he's a Mac fan or not. But just don't bull ***** just to make ad revenue.

I've noticed that too and it is probably the most annoying characteristics Leo has IMO. I used to watch more of his shows years ago but got turned off at how rude he was to his guests (friends) by cutting them off all the time. I'm down to watching only Security Now since he doesn't usually interrupt Steve very much when he's explaining things.

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
"Being a profitable podcast network is not an easy thing to do, and you can count the number of profitable podcast networks on the fingers of one hand. I’m one of them, but that doesn’t mean it’s an easy thing to do by any means," he says.

Laporte hosts nearly half of TWiT’s 30 shows. A live video stream of the tapings draws an audience of 3,000 to 4,000 viewers, but TWiT makes money because a loyal audience downloads five million podcast episodes a month, mostly as audio. That brings in $6 million in ad revenue a year.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/podcastings-audience-and-its-profits-are-growing

So this Nov 6 article suggests TWiT is still doing OK despite the ups and downs.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Leo's radio show probably banks him $250k per year, but TWiT from what I've read is fairly self sufficient.

Good people come and go from companies all the time. The business he's running isn't an easy one to jump into, and he's been doing this for a long time. The truth is more likely some where in the middle.

Running the TWiT house has to be an extremely expensive thing. Wanting people on staff to be there in person for anchoring tech news, and hosting other shows isn't unreasonable.

TWiT has to have long term, and reliable cast of people, otherwise they aren't any different then a couple people over Skype (yes, they do have people join in over Skype, but it's all anchored by live people).

One last thing as a note, Tom Merritt went from CNET to TWiT. Following his wife to LA doesn't seem unreasonable. It sounds like life.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Ugh,,,,, Have you heard some of the things he has said when iJustine has been on the show. Yeah, pretty much cringe worthy and I know it has to make them feel uncomfortable. Heck as a listener, I feel uncomfortable!

Yeah. It seems like any woman who appears on TWiT is fair game to creepy Uncle Leo.

I stopped listening to TWiT after Tom Merritt was fired. But I have been following the Total Drama blog, which points out his numerous transgressions. The blog itself is hit-and-miss; sometimes it does solid reporting, other times it clearly is making stuff up (posting mashup videos and parodies).

But this video is definitely legit — and boy, is it ever disgusting.

(By the way, if any of the Total Drama team is reading this, a word of advice: Stick to reporting the real stuff, which is compelling on its own. Posting the fake stuff only weakens your argument and gives TWiT ammunition to challenge your credibility.)

Last edited:

Nalp2010

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2008
I stopped listening to TWiT after Tom Merritt was fired. But I have been following the Total Drama blog...

Ah, yes Total Drama - who complain about Leo's pretend lust for Sarah Lane and then ask their readers to check out a photo of Sarah Lane's ass. :rolleyes:

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Ah, yes Total Drama - who complain about Leo's pretend lust for Sarah Lane and then ask their readers to check out a photo of Sarah Lane's ass. :rolleyes:

I agree. Much of what is written about on the Total Drama blog is juvenile, and it greatly undermines the blog's credibility. But there are the occasional posts that do point out the serious transgressions of TWiT. Leo and his team should take notice.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Well, Sarah Lane finally jumped ship from TWiT for the most part last week -- although she is supposedly going to continue recording iPad Today on the weekends. I give that a month or two before she stops doing that. Who would want to spend their Saturday driving back and forth between SF and Petaluma to do a 30-45 minute show with Leo?!

While I have not been a huge fan of Sarah's at TWiT, I applaud her for *finally* getting out of there. If she were my daughter, I would've been calling her every other day to encourage her to keep looking for another job. Some of the footage I've seen on YouTube over the past two or three months was so incredibly inappropriate -- Leo saying things to her like, "I would suggest you cross your legs" and "Don't be self conscious about your legs...we can't see anything except a dark triangle".

I think it says a lot about Leo that he not only makes such comments but that he makes comments in front of hundreds or thousands of live viewers. It takes one hell of an inflated ego to make comments like that time after time in public while seemingly not being concerned about being sued into oblivion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.