Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SilentPanda, Feb 25, 2013.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'll likely end up getting it (for PC). I'm not certain I'll get it launch day but I'm on vacation that week so will probably get more and more inclined to get it as the week goes on... are you looking forward to it? Why/why not?

2. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Nah.

Too many other games out there for me to get excited about this right now.

Looks good though. Sounds like something to pick up really cheap when the PS4 launches and the big hitters for PS3 stop coming in. :)

3. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Yeah, this one's on my short list of games to get. I really like not only the look of it, but I like the concept, the dramatic take on Lara's beginnings.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Looks great and reviews have been very good. I will pick this up.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Had this pre-ordered on Steam for the longest time. It's exactly the kind of game I want to play!

6. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Yeah Ill be getting it I've not played a Tomb Raider game since the PSone days, and this looks good.

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I get the TR games new after they go into the budget bin - have to with games so expensive nowadays... :(

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Saw another review on Kotaku this morning. Looks promising.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Tombraider : Underworld was actually quite good, but this looks leagues better.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm ready for this reboot, looks gritty and story driven...count me in.

Bless

11. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

Only 5hrs Gameplay, but loads to do online is what GameSpot said I don't understand why every game has to have multiplayer. This game should be a solid single player game only like the games before.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I put 17 hours into Anniversary and felt that was hugely stretched out, and I didn't go for the special items/secrets either. 5 hour core game and another 5 for the secrets would be perfect for me.

13. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I bet 5 hours is just rushing through the main story. I like to take my time, explore and enjoy the environments. I find I usually spend about 2x as much time in a game as the reviewers say.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Online mode is meant to suck according to most reviews.

Apparently you can go back and explore the Island more once you finished the campaign.

15. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's almost too bad they didn't go the Far Cry 3 route. Maybe instance some tombs. That might have been pretty cool.

16. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

So about $6 per hour for your entertainment? That's about the same as a modern theater rate, so sure.

I think I'm being spoiled absolutely rotten by Skyrim, though. About $100 in, over 200 hours out, and still enjoying every minute of it.

17. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I had heard 10-12 although I can't recall where. You could probably just run through the main story in 5 hours though. I enjoy collectibles for some inane reason.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I usually don't in TR games, but there's something about this one that I really want to delve into. I think it's the obviously deep story that will just be skimmed over if you don't go for the secrets. Who knows! But I want it. Quite badly.

19. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'm sorry but it just cannot be anywhere near as good as the original. However, like every Tomb Raider game since '96, I'll give this game a go. Looks like a HUGE improvement over the the Angel Of Darkness-Underworld 'era.

20. ultra7k macrumors 6502

ultra7k

21. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Played it for about 2 1/2 hours now (I'm going to bed!). Pretty good so far. I went back to get all the collectibles from the first area, or at least as many as I could find and also beat the first side tomb. Controls pretty well I think and the graphics are really good. This is on PC with a 360 controller.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mine is still on the UPS truck! :mad:

How did you get it so soon? Thanks for the mini review.

23. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Steam. It unlocked at 11pm my time. I only made the thread in the Console area since there's less Windows gamers around here and the game doesn't have a Mac version.

The game has been more intense than prior Tomb Raider games. There's a feeling of urgency (even though as with most games you can toss the controller down and nothing will happen if you don't get yer butt in gear) and I like it. I didn't want to say too much in the review since I figured most didn't have it yet and well... it was late and I was tired.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So far so good! (90 minutes in). I like how dynamic it feels. I buggered up attacking some bad guys and one of them ran to the side, flipped a table over and used it for cover. I'm going to enjoy this game!