Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
I was looking at getting one of these for my iPod touch when they come out. But at that price, and with no app included, It's much better to go with the iGPS360.

MappleLeaf

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
This is so lame. This whole Tom Tom thing is ridiculous; they are trying to force their way into a piece of hardware that is millimeters away from making turn by turn gps nav a 'standard' feature...cutting out the entire niche tom tom has carved out.

One would think they would do this at a reasonable price but they are just too darn greedy.

The days of an entire company dedicated to gps nav are numbered, and for tom tom to survive they should instead adapt their business model instead of forcing it into iphone with such high prices. Maybe sign a deal with apple and have it stock on the iphone, or drop the price. If it as reasonable almost EVERYONE would buy this.

PS everyone send as many pics as you can tomorrow at 10am lets try and crash the system.

You clearly have not researched your subject matter. Before TomTom appeared on the scene Sat Navs were in the £1000's price region.They made the Sat nav market so competitive. So even at £99 (remember this includes app and 1 set of maps) this is very reasonable and a very good price point.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
$140-165, and I'm guessing $125 in the US? For just a cradle?

I've already got a dock. Sure, I have to put my phone in it upside down to make a call since it blocks the mic and speaker, but I can get music out if it just fine.

The market leading strength on this was that it would offer a) charging and b) line out audio. I was ready to buy this as soon as it hit the shelves, but not at this price. If someone has a suggestion for something else, I'd be glad to hear it.

MappleLeaf

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
They are removing the note that says it comes bundled with the Tomtom app which isn't true. The price was for the cradle only....

As someone has said already, way too expensive. And Navigon is still better in performance and feature wise.

Read the bloody forum will you. You'll see a conversation I had with the Apple Store this morning. The price DOES come with both app and a map!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I love how Tom Tom is just pricing themselves out of profit. £100 for the kit THEN you have to pay £60-£80 extra for the software.

Yeah...that'll happen

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
i've been a huge fan of Tomtom for years, but frankly they are taking the piss with the iphone app. I would have no issues with the Tomtom app if it as least worked as well as Tomtom 7 (mobile). I actually got a refund cause the iphone version was so bad. Now my experience is based on using it in london. I used both the iphone app and tomtom 7 on a HTC hd side by side for two days and the iphone version had huge issues with reception and would lag 1-2 streets behind while the HTC version was off by about 1-2 meters. And this was based on walking. I know the iphone does not have the best GPS unit, but at least navigon have got it working so much better.

And to ask £100 for the dock..... what a ripp off! Get a tomtom one, it will work so much better and when you not using it throw it in the glove box. TomTom is really exploiting its faithful followers.

MappleLeaf

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
I'm reposting the conversation I had with an UK Apple Store rep this morning. Apple have probably taken the item down to correct the wording so there is no more confusion. I have purchased the cradle (and app+map) based on this conversation. Remember the 'app' IS the 'map' as the iPhone apps can not run the maps separately. That would break Apple's app rules.

Hopefully this will put this matter to bed....

Here's a conversation I've just had directly with the Apple store via online chat...

* You are chatting with Maria, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Maria. Welcome to Apple!

Maria: Good morning

Maria: How may I help you today?

You: I have a question about the TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 3GS

Maria: I'm happy to assist with that.

You: Great. I've just placed an order. However, looking at it closely, it says it comes with the app. Does this include the maps too (i.e. British Isles or Europe)?

Maria: Let me see if I can get more information.

You: Thanks

Maria: You're welcome.

You: BTW. There's a lot of confusion on Macrumors.com over if it comes with just the app or if maps are included. Whatever info you manage to get, it maybe worth updating the store entry to clarify what is provided along with the cradle itself.

Maria: I am not seeing specifically if that includes British Isles.

Maria: The information I am finding it may require an update.

You: So the app is free on the App store and we're looking at £99 just for the cradle then?

Maria: There is a cost for the App.

You: British Isles is £59 on the app store plus the cradle at £99? total is £158. That's where the confusion is. Because it says the app comes with the cradle, but you can't buy just the app on itunes. Either British isle or Europe at £79.

Maria: The Car Kit you see on the online Apple Store is just the hardware.

Maria: I am checking further one moment.

You: Yes, sorry I know that, but it does say it comes with the app. Well the only app on itunes is for British isles or Europe (£59 or £79). itunes does not have the app on it's own. Hence confusion all around! :eek:)

Maria: You get both the TomTom navigation app for your iPhone 3GS or 3G and the docking kit to hold your iPhone securely in place on your dashboard or windscreen.

You: Yep. I know it has the navigation app, but what one? British isles or Europe?

Maria: Sorry for the delay let me continue checking.

You: Take a look at https://www.macrumors.com/ and see all the comments. It is not clear. £99 seems very expensive for a cradle if it does not come with maps!

You: No problem.

You: Can you see what I'm trying to say?

Maria: Yes I am checking into that now.

Maria: The App is included with the kit. There will be a code to download within iTunes.

You: Ah! Presume we're have a choice of Bristish Isles or Europe? If going for Europe we make up the extra cost ourselves?

Maria: The TomTom app for iPhone 3G and 3GS users includes a continental map of Europe or map of UK & Ireland from Tele Atlas.

You: Fantastic. That makes it a more affordable option and good price point. Thanks for your help Maria.

You: Have a good day.

So that answer's that question then. £99 for the cradle and app with a choice of maps via an iTunes voucher code!!!

ashameer

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2009
I'm reposting the conversation I had with an UK Apple Store rep this morning. Apple have probably taken the item down to correct the wording so there is no more confusion. I have purchased the cradle (and app+map) based on this conversation. Remember the 'app' IS the 'map' as the iPhone apps can not run the maps separately. That would break Apple's app rules.

According to TomTom the App is not included:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?NewsID=27256

so the Apple rep was misinformed.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

Umm no, you are about an hour behind. That has already been removed from the store because it what it stated was incorrect and Tom Tom issued a press release saying the cradle does not include the app.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'm reposting the conversation I had with an UK Apple Store rep this morning. Apple have probably taken the item down to correct the wording so there is no more confusion.

Maybe it was a mistake that the page was already up. Wasn't this supposed to only come out in October? It might be the reason why they took it down.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008

Your conversation doesn't sound like a real confident answer from "Maria, an Apple Expert". First she said that there was an additional cost for the app, and then she changed it to that it does come with the app.

fluffer

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2009
Confusion Ended (for now)

Just spoke to Tomtom and they confirmed that Apple should not have displayed that page, it has now been taken down. he could not provide a release date or price and confirmed that only Tomtom will release the hardware and Apple will continue to provide the app.

MappleLeaf

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Your conversation doesn't sound like a real confident answer from "Maria, an Apple Expert". First she said that there was an additional cost for the app, and then she changed it to that it does come with the app.

I agree it is a little confusing, but she was asking for confirmation from her colleagues/superiors at the time. But she never said there was an additional cost at any point during the transcript.

cutmoney

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
WAY too expensive

Let's hope that price isn't for real, that is far too expensive. That brings up the price of the software+hardware package to $265! Seriously, for TomTom's most basic GPS device out there? I mean, no TTS, traffic, or other advanced features. In fact, I had a TomTom One which costed me under $100 that had traffic and more features than the iPhone app. Not to mention, there are still bugs with the software (multiple city entries, contact search functionality, etc.). I'm very disappointed with TomTom thus far, stop trying to rip off your loyal customers. I REALLY wish I would have purchased Navigon at this point...seriously.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Read the bloody forum will you. You'll see a conversation I had with the Apple Store this morning. The price DOES come with both app and a map!

I would read the news story on the front page before I jumped on other forum members.

Apple Experts, particularly the online store variant, have a notorious history of being wrong.

MappleLeaf

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Umm no, you are about an hour behind. That has already been removed from the store because it what it stated was incorrect and Tom Tom issued a press release saying the cradle does not include the app.

What Press Release? Why is it not available in TomTom website? Anyone seen this Press Release?

dkhenkin

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2009
Just spoke to Tomtom and they confirmed that Apple should not have displayed that page, it has now been taken down. he could not provide a release date or price and confirmed that only Tomtom will release the hardware and Apple will continue to provide the app.

FAIL.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Navigon should see this as an opportunity to make some legitimate announcement about their product, such as the car kit, and pull some more potential customers away from Tom Tom.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
Here's a conversation I've just had directly with the Apple store via online chat...

* You are chatting with Maria, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Maria. Welcome to Apple!

Maria: Good morning

Maria: How may I help you today?

You: I have a question about the TomTom Car Kit for iPhone 3GS

You: Great. I've just placed an order. However, looking at it closely, it says it comes with the app. Does this include the maps too (i.e. British Isles or Europe)?

Maria: Let me see if I can get more information.

You: Thanks

You: BTW. There's a lot of confusion on Macrumors.com over if it comes with just the app or if maps are included. Whatever info you manage to get, it maybe worth updating the store entry to clarify what is provided along with the cradle itself.

Maria: I am not seeing specifically if that includes British Isles.

Maria: The information I am finding it may require an update.

You: So the app is free on the App store and we're looking at £99 just for the cradle then?

Maria: There is a cost for the App.

You: British Isles is £59 on the app store plus the cradle at £99? total is £158. That's where the confusion is. Because it says the app comes with the cradle, but you can't buy just the app on itunes. Either British isle or Europe at £79.

Maria: The Car Kit you see on the online Apple Store is just the hardware.

Maria: I am checking further one moment.

You: Yes, sorry I know that, but it does say it comes with the app. Well the only app on itunes is for British isles or Europe (£59 or £79). itunes does not have the app on it's own. Hence confusion all around! :eek:)

Maria: You get both the TomTom navigation app for your iPhone 3GS or 3G and the docking kit to hold your iPhone securely in place on your dashboard or windscreen.

You: Yep. I know it has the navigation app, but what one? British isles or Europe?

Maria: Sorry for the delay let me continue checking.

You: Take a look at https://www.macrumors.com/ and see all the comments. It is not clear. £99 seems very expensive for a cradle if it does not come with maps!

You: No problem.

You: Can you see what I'm trying to say?

Maria: Yes I am checking into that now.

Maria: The App is included with the kit. There will be a code to download within iTunes.

You: Ah! Presume we're have a choice of Bristish Isles or Europe? If going for Europe we make up the extra cost ourselves?

Maria: The TomTom app for iPhone 3G and 3GS users includes a continental map of Europe or map of UK & Ireland from Tele Atlas.

You: Fantastic. That makes it a more affordable option and good price point. Thanks for your help Maria.

You: Have a good day.

So that answer's that question then. £99 for the cradle and app with a choice of maps via an iTunes voucher code!!!
I would save this chat and you have it in "writing" you could probably get what is typed above as for the rest of us......:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.