Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ClaphamChris

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
London, UK
Shame. I've got an iTrip which I use to pump the voice through my stereo while playing music off the iPod function of the iPhone. So all I'm really missing is a way of securing the phone while driving.

But would have paid a whole package price of £100 for the app and the cradle as it looks to have some nice functionality.

But £100 just for the cradle? No ta. Saw the story about the TomTom product release - and immediately got me a Griffin WindowSeat for less than a fifth of the cost of the TomTom accessory.

Something tells me that the TomTom accessory won't sell anywhere near as much as they think....

beez1717

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Earth
nooooo

this sucks so much: they should have included the app with the dock because for ipod touch users we should not have to pay twice as much to get the same experience as with iphone users. it's insane and at this point I could go out and buy a tom tom and not save any money! I want to see other companies coming up with software that's better and is cheeper by far, or even free, so I can only spend 100 dollars to get GPS on my ipod, and still think it's crazy!

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Two things. High price could be attributed to wanting to recoup R&D costs for this specific device. Lame but,... I noticed so many of actual TomTom GPS units on Amazon going from $69 and up ... many at around $149. Anything more to me seems excessive.

HOWEVER... how can anyone consider a product that puts their iPhone/iPod in the Dashboard that generates a fantastic amount of heat? Heat is terrible for those Apple devices. I'd rather just buy a dedicated device and if the heat toasts it, no big deal... the details of your life isn't tied up to it -- not to mention the expense of replacement. Seems like a problem dying to happen.

Also... I don't like anything HANGING DOWN in my view area. Dangerous. Better to have one of those Bean Bag Donuts (which I do) that sit on the dashboard with GPS sitting in it. It does not block any vision.

Boo TomTom :)

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Tom Tom must not be too serious about their iphone product sells. I was pretty much set on buying the Tom Tom product up until a couple weeks ago. This was as far back as when I first heard Tom Tom was going to make an iphone app. When Tom Tom finally released it, I held out because I wasn't sure whether Navigon would be the better choice. When Navigon released their latest version, Tom Tom lost a potential customer, as well as many others. They are probably going to lose some more from today's news.

smatty007

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Germany
I order the car kit about 12 hours ago from the Apple online store. It clearly stated that the software App is part of the bundle. How do you think Apple will treat us early buyers?

p.s. I did get my confirmation mail from Apple minutes after I ordered.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Navigon beats Tom-Tom

...as far as the reviews go (if you trust them).

I just might get the Navigon if it goes on sale again....must be $50 or less.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Safe and secure?

I personally don't think it's safe docking such devices onto the windscreen. The most important thing is that you have a clear view what's going on outside. I wonder that the authorities and insurance companies don't criticize this new fashion.

The windscreens should be kept clear of all those stickers and devices.

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
I order the car kit about 12 hours ago from the Apple online store. It clearly stated that the software App is part of the bundle. How do you think Apple will treat us early buyers?

p.s. I did get my confirmation mail from Apple minutes after I ordered.

I imagine you will get an email cancelling the order outright, no charge to card etc.

Boo!

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
What's the point of TomTom??You can buy all kinds of stand alone GPS for your car at the same price or cheaper. I bought a Magellan for $129 that works beautifully in the US and Canada.Remember, if you use the iPhone or any other GPS that sticks to your windshield, you are a target for a break-in. If you remove it, you need to wipe off the circle left from the suction cup or you are a break-in candidate. These are the most sought after items for an auto burglary.

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Personally I would not pay more than $50 for a dock even one which includes speakers and a GPS chip. In my logic a dock is worth $15, speakers are another $10 ($20 if they're actually good), and the GPS chip $10 ($20 if they worked with a iPod Touch).

$150 for a dock alone is insane. For reference I point you to:
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-4-3-Inch-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator/dp/B000SATCUQ
An entire GPS unit, with dock, with software, with maps... with everything... $150.

Aside from that... I've always preferred Garmin's interfaces. In between each of my three Garmin's I tried something else (once Magellan, once TomTom) each time the other unit was returned after a week or two and replaced with a Garmin. Personally, I don't like pure touch screens that make backing out to the map multiple clicks... but they ALL seem to do that now so I live with it...

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Just when you thought TomTom's strategy, communications, and pricing couldn't get any more incompetent, they yet again surprise you.

I'd rather have a Navigon cradle (with or without GPS) to go with the superior Navigon app, and I say that as (one of many) former TomTom devotees.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Navigon is winning the navigation game hands down. Their app is much more advanced (even without the soon to be released live traffic) then TomTom iPhone app and they are releasing a dock also on October. TomTom's dock price is just insane and their app is like from their very first TomTom Go line. I mean it doesn't have any of the lane guidance etc. features that Navigon has.

Revival Cr8tive

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2009
TomTom = Epic Fail

Yep, I'm the same, got my car dock off eBay today, £6.90 for windscreen stand and charger! £100! I dont think so!

Sounds like a good option to me.. I also agreed...

TomTom = Epic Fail

£99? What were u thinking?

Does anyone know where I can send some price abuse to TomTom?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
On the french AppStore, 2 things are a bit confusing :
1. "Remarque : le support du kit de voiture est compatible avec tous les modèles d’iPhone, mais l’application du kit de voiture :confused: ne fonctionne qu’avec l’iPhone 3GS et l’iPhone 3G."

(In english : the cradle of the car kit is compatible with all Iphone models, but the application of the car kit work only with Iphone 3GS or 3G)

2. "Contenu du coffret

Kit voiture TomTom
Application de navigation TomTom pour iPhone :confused:
Disque adhésif
Documentation"

(In english : content : TomTom car kit, TomTom navigation app for Iphone, adhesive disk, documentation).

1. What do they mean by "the application of the car kit" ? Is it the management of bluetooth connection, is it the TomTom navigation app, is it the management of the GPS chip integrated in the kit ?
2. Ok, the TomTom navigation app is included. But with which maps (France, Europe, ...) ? What if I already bought the app ?

I think it means you get a flat disk and the glue to glue it (apply) it to your car if you can not mount it on your glass. The iPhone tomtom application is separate, the price does not cover both items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.