Tomtom car kit + wifi only iPad + navigon = functional gps solution!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tinnitusdoc, May 8, 2010.

1. Tinnitusdoc macrumors member

Today I bought a "dock extender cable", which I plugged into my tomtom car kit (that I used for a 3G iPhone) and into my 32 gb wifi-only iPad.

And voilà: working navigation solution!

And with the iPad, it's much quicker and smoother than with the 3G iPhone.

Now just "one more thing" two times: A mounting solution for the iPad (son is not to happy holding it up all the time) and navigon to come up with an update of their app to fit the ipad's screen...

2. felt. macrumors 6502a

sounds fun but 2 questions...
    don't the maps look bad since native resolution is quite low since they're made for iphone display. And how do you mount the ipad on your dash in a secure way that it doesn't impede visibility of the road?

3. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

That's why I'd like to have the 2 "one more things".

Yes, maps are a bit pixeled but still much better on the big screen than on my iPhone (eyesight's not what it used to be...) and I'm driving an old Range, so for me road visibility is ok.
    Other advantages are that the navigon app works much quicker and smoother on the iPad (compared to the 3G iPhone) and the car kit is connected with the car's stereo, so I got all my music via the stereo

4. Rob.G macrumors 6502

Rob.G

Check out www.ram-mount.com. They have an iPad mount that ships next month, and you can then pick the rest of the pieces for the mount setup that works best for you and piece it together. The downside is the cheapest setup I've come up with is around $150.

Rob

5. p-rice macrumors regular

6. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

No, it's either charging or using, not both at the same time ( just like when I plug the docking cable into a PowerBook).
    A message pops up next to the battery sign that says "lãdt nicht" (not charging)

7. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

Built my own car mount:
    Apple ipadcase, two screws and a string :cool:

IMG_1113.JPG

8. jtara macrumors 65816

I don't understand how Navigon is working with the TomTom car kit? Why would the Navigon software know how to talk to the TomTom receiver? Are you sure that you aren't navigating using just WiFi triangulation?

BTW, RAM Mount has several iPad mounting solutions now. (I have one). The about-to-be-released product is a locking cradle for iPad. I don't plan on leaving my iPad in my car.

RAM's new locking iPad cradle

Edit: I see they have other products coming, as well, including an iPad-specific non-locking cradle for about $35. I have an adjustable cradle. I think I'm happy with mine, as it will accomodate any kind of case. Not so sure about the new iPad-specific one:

RAM's other iPad solutions

Note: the top item on the link above is the new iPad-specific cradle. The second item is the RAM-B-316-1-234-6 that I bought for $72.95 from Express Mounts USA. It's a "kit" consisting of an adjustable Tough Tray II, a ball assembly, a bendable ""stalk", and a mounting bracket that bolts to a passenger seat bolt.

There's some pricing confusion on the new cradle. It's listed as $35 at the RAM site, but Express Mounts is showing just $18:

RAM's $18 cradle

9. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am.

I used the tomtom kit + navigon with my iphone the last couple of months. There is a tomtom app (not the maps) so the gps reciever in the cradle can be used by other applications.

I tried ipad navigation without being connected to the tomtom reciever and it was impossible to navigate (gps signal while driving maybe just every 20 seconds for 2-4 seconds).

But this solution is only suitable for those who already own the tomtom kit, as the kit is about the same price than the difference between wifi and wifi+3g

10. jtara macrumors 65816

This is good to know! It's a little revelation about the murky world of USB connected devices for iPhone/iPad of which there are few. It sounds like this is, in essence, a "device driver".

This could be useful for iPhone owners who don't like the TomTom software, but would like to upgrade their GPS.

And, reportedly, the iPad 3G has a better-performing GPS than the current iPhone models, so there isn't much of a case for the kit for use with an iPad.

11. ddiamond77 macrumors newbie

Which dock extender cable did you get? Where did you get it from? I have been wanting to do something similar with my XM SkyDock

12. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

I'm waiting for a 64 wifi+3G, due on the 28 (unfortunately there are some delays with my order in the German AppStore :mad::mad:) which I'll test. I already had the tomtom kit for the iPhone, but is price is way to high to buy it for a wifi only iPad. There are other threads here proposing much cheaper solutions.
    But the navigon app is so much smoother and quicker on the iPad compared to my 3G iPhone.

13. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

Bought one here in Germany: rodtech dock extender cable, about 25$.

14. Sdevante macrumors 6502

Let me make sure I understand this correctly:

iPad wifi + TomTom kit + dock extender = I can use GPS with my Maps app without downloading any special GPS app?

15. vant macrumors 65816

Wouldn't it be more logical just to get an iPad 3G and not pay for 3G?

The car kit costs over $100 already, might as well spend the extra $25 and get the 3G.

16. Skystar macrumors 6502

Won't work, because the standard maps app needs Internet, which the wifi iPad won't have on the road. The gps apps like navigon and Tom Tom have preloaded maps so it's not a problem.

17. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I didn't think about that, but it makes sense. Thanks for the followup!!!

18. aka-none macrumors newbie

And when you are out on the open hi-way with NO cell service you are SOL.

You need a GPS and maps, either paper or digital. So the 3G is not as handy for travelers as it might seem. Been there and done that just this week through Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, et-al. 3G just is not enough.

19. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

So does all ipad have gps, or just the ones other than the basic wifi one

20. gazwas macrumors member

gazwas

3G iPad has GPS built in. The Wi-Fi model does not.
    You don't need to activate your sim to get the GPS working as its independent of the 3G service so I have read.

Thats one of the reasons I went for the 3G iPad over the Wi-Fi only.

21. ken987 macrumors member

HI
    I had an old BT GPS lying around from windows mobile days. I bought the BTSTACK for $5 and that was it. Plus I installed FullForce ...and Navigon works flawlessly on it and is full HD now. So for me...why spend all that extra money...Plus I wanted the iPad and didn't want to wait for the 3g model...so for me....I'm happy. I got an iPad early.....and I have full Nav in my car now for only $5 extra...I used what I had ...and made it work. And it was easy. The last piece would be ...a charger for the car that works while it is on.

Ken

22. felt. macrumors 6502a

no wonder my cheap extender cable doesn't work

"Note:This cable can only charge and transfer the data to your device but can NOT transfer audio or music."

only charges..does nothing else.

but the radtech or cablejive ones

"provides connection pathways for power audio output USB data sync play controls accessory power and composite video"

balls. :)

23. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

I am on their website but they say all of their ipad mounting solutions are unavailable, did you get them from a different source. I really want one of these mounts!

24. njuelbli macrumors newbie

Hello

I have now tried to pair the TomTom Car Kit with iPad WiFi - and it is not working. As the GPS signals are transferred from the Car kit using bluetooth - i am of course not able to use the TT Car Kit on a WiFi only iPad.

To those who claims that this is working - please submit how they paired the TomTom Car Kit with the iPad

Nils

25. Tinnitusdoc thread starter macrumors member

Hi Nils,
    The carkit's GPS Signal is not transmitted via Bluetooth. You'll need a doc connector cable.

Hope this helps..