Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Tomtom car kit + wifi only iPad + navigon = functional gps solution!

njuelbli

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
Hello
Thanks for the answer. First I am not an expert so I might be wrong.
I of course used a dock extender cable from the TT carkit to the iPad.
The problem is to pair the iPad and the car kit.
Yes, despite what you state in your answer, the tomtom carkit is a bluetooth generic Bluetooth GPS receiver . Here is one article :
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-review/

As I say - I might be wrong - it is possible that it is just the handsfree calls that relies on bluetooth ?
So what is then my problem - could it be the software - I have tried with the TomTom nav software and you used Navigon ??
I own TomTom app in advance - and must be absolutly sure before I buy Navigon apps.

Nils

Comment

Tinnitusdoc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
OMG he's german
I'm no techie either...
It was a sheer coincidence. I had the car kit and used it with navigon on my iPhone and simply tried a dock connector cable.
Maybe it could be an issue with the cable, as the cheap ones do not transmit all data (a couple of posts above another member posted something like this).

In my car and in Germany it works, sometimes I have to restart navigon to get the connection, but it works better than with my 3G iPhone.

Comment

Lanksweirt

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Germany
It works in my car too

It works in my Mercedes C200 too. I put Tomtom Carkit, extener cable and Navigon Europe together. However the extender cable needs to be very good attached to the car kit to prevent a loose contact. I also run Myfi to connenct via wifi and 3G to the internet so Navigon retrieves actual traffic information. Finaly I mounted the iPad on my car's dashboard (over the radio display) attached to the windshield. Thanks for all the very helpful tips!

Comment

dfields

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
From what I can tell, the tomtom car KIT works fine without bluetooth turned on (I just tested it). The bluetooth is used for audio out from phone calls from what I understand, not to send GPS data.

The way I tested:
Turned off bluetooth on my iPhone 3Gs.
Docked the phone in the car kit.
Launched the "tomtom car kit tool" (the app that lets you use other NAV applications without nagging popups). I then verified that I was getting a good GPS signal.

Now, as for the dock extender cable. If you look closely at the dock connections on the iPhone and iPad, you'll see a slight difference. On the iPhone, the "male" (the little thin board that slides between the dock connector) is a bit longer than it is on the iPad. It might be that the way the car kit is made that the iPad just can't quite make a good connection, but would explain why some extender cables work. Since I don't have any extender cables (yet), I can't test this extensively just yet. It may also be that some extender cables just don't have the right pin-outs and that's also causing problems.

I'm getting ready to order one of the cablejive extender cables if I can't find one locally, and I'll try to remember to reply with my results.

Dave

Hello
Thanks for the answer. First I am not an expert so I might be wrong.
I of course used a dock extender cable from the TT carkit to the iPad.
The problem is to pair the iPad and the car kit.
Yes, despite what you state in your answer, the tomtom carkit is a bluetooth generic Bluetooth GPS receiver . Here is one article :
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/tomtom-car-kit-for-iphone-review/

As I say - I might be wrong - it is possible that it is just the handsfree calls that relies on bluetooth ?
So what is then my problem - could it be the software - I have tried with the TomTom nav software and you used Navigon ??
I own TomTom app in advance - and must be absolutly sure before I buy Navigon apps.

Nils

Comment

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Today I bought a "dock extender cable", which I plugged into my tomtom car kit (that I used for a 3G iPhone) and into my 32 gb wifi-only iPad.

And voilà: working navigation solution!

And with the iPad, it's much quicker and smoother than with the 3G iPhone.

Now just "one more thing" two times: A mounting solution for the iPad (son is not to happy holding it up all the time) and navigon to come up with an update of their app to fit the ipad's screen...

I saw this video somewhere, of people using velcro to attach the ipad to all sorts of surfaces. Maybe that's an answer to one question.

edit:
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSDPKktbUk

Comment

dfields

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
I saw this video somewhere, of people using velcro to attach the ipad to all sorts of surfaces. Maybe that's an answer to one question.

edit:
here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTSDPKktbUk

ProClip makes some decent car mounting solutions, and there are the RAM mounts also. I've been using a ProClip mount for my iPhone and it's been working pretty good. The only issue I have with it is where I have to place their mount in my car. I don't trust vent mounts cause they have always been a bit loose and I'm afraid of breaking my vents. And I don't like suction cups cause they tend to fall off and vibrate too much.

What I'm looking at doing now is getting an extra coin holder for my car that I can drill/modify (and save the original for when I sell the car), and then use some of the ProClip mounting solutions to for my iPhone. I'm also looking at just using of of their deskstands and some really good sticky tape. I've even considered buying an extra plastic piece for my center console so I could drill holes and get a really good mount, and hide cables.

Here's the URL for ProClip: http://www.proclipusa.com/

I think they ship/sell internationally also.

Dave

Comment

dfields

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
ProClip makes some decent car mounting solutions, and there are the RAM mounts also. I've been using a ProClip mount for my iPhone and it's been working pretty good. The only issue I have with it is where I have to place their mount in my car. I don't trust vent mounts cause they have always been a bit loose and I'm afraid of breaking my vents. And I don't like suction cups cause they tend to fall off and vibrate too much.

What I'm looking at doing now is getting an extra coin holder for my car that I can drill/modify (and save the original for when I sell the car), and then use some of the ProClip mounting solutions to for my iPhone. I'm also looking at just using of of their deskstands and some really good sticky tape. I've even considered buying an extra plastic piece for my center console so I could drill holes and get a really good mount, and hide cables.

Here's the URL for ProClip: http://www.proclipusa.com/

I think they ship/sell internationally also.

Dave

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention about ProClip. They actually sell a modified version of the TomTom Car Kit that's been set up to work with their mounts.

They also have iPad mounts, but they are not the prettiest of solutions. The nice thing though is that they have a "move clip" system where you can interchange devices with their mounts. So for long trips, you could use the iPad, and for just everyday stuff you could use the iPhone. The only trick with the iPad would be you would have to mount the TomTom kit somewhere else since the iPad won't fit in it.

Dave

Comment

iRem

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2011
Today I bought a "dock extender cable", which I plugged into my tomtom car kit (that I used for a 3G iPhone) and into my 32 gb wifi-only iPad.

Now just "one more thing" two times: A mounting solution for the iPad (son is not to happy holding it up all the time) and navigon to come up with an update of their app to fit the ipad's screen...

Hi there !

I am wondering how you can receive gps signal with your extension cable?

I can't even iPhone can't receive it using an extension cable.

The tom-tom app shows it is not docked. But it seems the electric charging signal goes through as the iPhone is charging and the iPad shows "not on charge"

What kind of extension cable do you use ?

Comment

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
Wouldn't it be cheaper, less intrusive, and easier just to buy a TomTom ? (Stand alone) That's what I have. Then if you are pulled over by the police, or get in a wreck, there is no question about were you texting, checking, email, cruising the web, ect when the incident took place.

Comment

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010

So, two more things then? :rolleyes:

I just bought a TomTom Live for my car that does a far better job of navigation compared to any tablet and/or phone combination.... Your solution there sounds way too clunky, and rather pointless to be honest given that you have a perfectly functional 3GS and dock.

Comment

jezisko

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2011
wifi ipad2 + tomtom car kit

hi, has someone tried using Wifi only iPad2 with any of the TomTom car kits (ipod touch or iphone)?
Thanks

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.