TomTom iPhone Car Kit to Cost $120!! Seriously?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dhy8386, Sep 25, 2009.

1. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

Lets put aside for a second that I much prefer Navigon right now.

I also have TomTom and one of the deficiencies is the GPS lag. SOO TT takes the approach that rather than fix it (which a few GPS guys have started to do through algorithms ala Navigon which works perfectly) they will not only charge us for this but they will make you pay another $100+ you paid for for that app to get what? That little arrow moving up a 1/2 inch on your screen and a speakerphone and window mount? Assuming the window mount is nice, take off $25 for that and another $50 for the bluetooth speakerphone (which many of us either have already or even for some is already integrated into their car) and thats $45 for what now?

I have no problem with them charging in total as much for this as for a regular sat nav as after all it will in some ways partially cannibalize their sales. However, the current app isnt even close to comparable to a full blown GPS sat nav and so either way, the entire package is way over priced.

To me this should have been at $79.99 and they would have had many many takers - at least those that are partial to TT.

Again I dont care as I think its their loss and I am partial to Navigon for now but its really just a shame and disappointment.

2. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I think $99 is the psychological barrier that would have allowed more people to purchase it. They are really shooting themselves in the foot here, and I would not be surprised to see a price drop soon after release.

3. kicko macrumors 65816

I have said it before but i got an tomtom 130s for the same price. You might as well just spend your money on a dedicated device.

4. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I have but one word and it is entirely appropriate:

[​IMG]

5. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Cannot wait for this "FAIL" trend to be over and done with, but yeah, that price point is absurdity.

6. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

$100 for the app + $300 for the iPhone + $120 for the car kit = $500

7. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

are you guys serious? people with macs complaining about overpriced products?

8. bozzykid macrumors 68020

I don't see why someone wouldn't just purchase the TomTom 130s or 140s. Both are dedicated GPS's with the fold up suction cup that makes it easy to move from car to car. You can get both for less than $150 and it will perform better than the iPhone app.

9. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Doesn't it come with the app? Maybe I was dreaming...

Anyway, you can't add the price for the iPhone to your total "cost" of the GPS. You already have the iPhone, it's not like you bought an iPhone JUST to use this app. So assuming it doesn't come with the app (which I guess it doesn't) it's a $220 GPS. But you don't NEED the car kit (I just have Navigon+a Griffin roadtrip), and you are paying a little for the convenience of only having one device.

10. bozzykid macrumors 68020

No, the mount doesn't give you a voucher for the app (Tomtom confirmed this).

Some people will need the mount because the GPS in the iPhone is not very good for driving for many people. So if you are going to spend that much on a mount, you might as well get a 130/140s. It has a built-in mount and will work better than the iPhone version.

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I would piss on a TomTom if it were on fire. :D

I wish Garmin was getting into the app business. Out of all of them, my Garmin Nuvi is the best I've used.

12. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Back when this product was first announced at the keynote, I figured the whole package (app and car kit) to cost $99.

Glad I went with Navigon.

13. lollicup macrumors regular

NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO BUY IT

if you don't like paying that much don't buy it
    I'm sure like anything else, prices will come down, once all the early adopters have had time to

A) overpay
    B) show off that they got it first
    C) Buyers remorse when the item price goes down.

there are plenty of other car mounts available

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No way? Really?:rolleyes:

So we can't have an opinion on the price? Gimme a break:cool:

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The word FAIL and it's trend will not be over in a long time. Just check out these guys: Click Me

In related news, yes I think pricing wise TomTom did the worst they could. They practically charge you for a full unit if you combine the $100 app and $120 kit. Ridiculous.

16. lollicup macrumors regular

The OP is complaining about a product that has no competition and no other alternatives, and more importantly HASN'T BEEN RELEASED

It's moronic to complain about something in the future ( but I guess people on this forum like complaining/arguing on pure speculation)

( btw £99.95 US$164.10)

17. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got no problem with you insulting me but you clearly have your head way up your you know what...

Of course it has competition and intense competition at that. And whether it has been released is irrelevant since the Company itself issued a press release saying it would be $120 US. I dont speculate. Just going on the companys own admission. The UK prices were announced yesterday and the US one today.

As i said originally im not whining but instead lamenting that a company could be so off in their assessment of the market. The better the competition the better the products we consumers get...this does not help since its priced way too high.

18. lollicup macrumors regular

3)
    1) What other holder has an external GPS antenna and Speaker built in ( like I said no competition)

2) Oops just read Gizmodo ( 120), but let's wait till the product comes out before complaining about the pricepoint

3) I think you said it correctly in your first post, the reason for the high price is because they don't want to cannibalize their own sales of their own standalone GPS units.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the price has been stated...the OP has a right to his opinion on it

if you dont like the thread topic, then dont post. not a hard concept

20. lollicup macrumors regular

circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is circular argument is ...

anyways. Personally I will be buying the TomTom car kits ( used , probably one ebay or craigslist) . It's a pretty well designed car mount if you ask me

21. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i have never seen it nor played with it so i dont know how good it really works but lets get back to the main point...

The mount itself is not the product that has no competition. Who the hell cares about a mount. Its the combined solution. So navigon has their app. TT has their app + enhanced GPS mount and speakerphone. Why does Navigon not have a mount? Because they dont need it. But TT does because their GPS tracking algos are insufficient. So if you ignore that the mount also has speakerphone, i ask would you rather have Navigon at 89.99 + 25.00 for a mount, 114.99 or TT at 220 for the same features? And you say that has no competition? Navigon has shown a real desire to develop for the iphone platform whereas TT has not yet to date. Both apps have pros and cons but they are certainly not separated by over 100.00.

Ok. No one wants to read my banter so ill cut it off and let the thread die...i was just shocked at the initial price so i thought i would mention it...

22. lollicup macrumors regular

I completely understand your argument, but I think you are glossing over a pretty clear point

Thiis is the first iPhone mount with an external gps chip + speakerphone

cost is irrelevant when there is no other competition

iPhone charges $30 for an iPhone desk mount , that does absolutely nothing else ( hell it doesn't even have a usb cable in the box).

TomTom can charge whatever they want because they are the only ones in the market offering this sort of accessory

23. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not glossing over anything...do you have both apps? either app? i ask because what do you think TT's mount provides for $120? Here is what i think it provides:

1) "Ehanced GPS signal" = Necessary for the TT app but all it does is serve to bring the GPS capabilities up to other apps like Navigon, CoPilot etc. These apps have compensated for the GPS lag in iphone to provide perfect, accurate routing. TT did not build this into their software and therefore is making their users pay for this lack of development effort with their mount.
    2) Speakerphone. Is this necessary? No. The speaker is utilized well in the iPhone when i have it mounted on the windshield. I have no need for a speakerphone as it is plenty loud. And as far as playing music is concerned, assuming you dont already have built in functionality to your car, a separate device to run the iphone through the car, or an existing speakerphone, than this would provide that functionality.
    3) Windshield mount. Perosnally, I like the one i have by kensington better as it provides more flexible mounting positions because of the long arm.

So if 1 is irrelevant, than TT has provided a mount with a speakerphone for $120. Not sure about you but that seems CRAZY and ABSURD. But love to hear how you think its justified and who buys this...

24. crpercodani macrumors member

lol, good job on not posting again. I agree with you though so no flame from me, I use navigon which works great with the $23 mount I got on ebay. TT must be smoking crack.

25. lollicup macrumors regular

Like I said no one is forcing you to buy it. You can use a regular dock if you want.

It sounds like you don't need a dock with GPS and a speakerphone. You seem to feel that the cost is too high BECAUSE YOU DON"T NEED THOSE FEATURES

I'm sorry Mr. False sense of entitlement, I did not realize that every product made for the iPhone needed to be made to your specifications.

You clearly are not in the market for this mount, so you have already preformed a negative bias against the product (especially the price) .

Just move on, you have made up your decision on the mount ( you wouldn't even buy it for $99)

For those that want a mount with a speakerphone and a GPS chip built in, the price is $120. It is expensive, but until another company makes a product to compete with the TomTom mount, prices will remain high, when competition is low.