Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevepeck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
How easy could it be to introduce TomTom navigator to the Iphone3g?
A TomTom GB in England cost appox £90, therefore a app should only be around £10-20.
Sounds silly (but l'm still new) would it use 3G or Wi-Fi :rolleyes:

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
neither (if the tom tom maps are already loaded onto the phone), it would use gps. unless tom tom write something that uses cell and wifi locations.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I'd expect to pay more than £10-£20 for TT if it does appear on the iPhone.

Would be good though. If it does happen, I'd expect some enterprising company to make a charger/mount/handsfree kit for the iPhone...
listen to music from your iphone over car stereo (fm transmitter possibly)
automatically switch to phone when you get a call
get your tomtom turn-by-turn directions also over your car stereo
I would pay for all that, to clear up the TomTom/ipod/fm transmitter/handsfree phone kit chaos that's going on in my car at the moment :D

stevepeck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
Would be good though. If it does happen, I'd expect some enterprising company to make a charger/mount/handsfree kit for the iPhone...
listen to music from your iphone over car stereo (fm transmitter possibly)
automatically switch to phone when you get a call
get your tomtom turn-by-turn directions also over your car stereo
I would pay for all that, to clear up the TomTom/ipod/fm transmitter/handsfree phone kit chaos that's going on in my car at the moment :D

Now that as got me excited at the thought

jeffreyfort

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Findlay, Ohio
I need turn-by-turn gps navigtion before I will buy an iPhone. I use TomTom Navigator in my Palm Treo all the time. Hurry-up, TomTom, Garmin, or whatever!!

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
TomTom DID announce an iPhone app in development, but then later retracted the announcement after Apple made it clear that the SDK wouldn't allow a turn-by-turn GPS.

But then Garmin made a similar announcement just a few days ago! Who knows what's going on!

I believe the rule is that no third party developer is allowed to use the Google Maps app to give turn-by-turn directions. That doesn't mean that TomTom or whomever couldn't load their own maps. In fact, for it to work properly, I'd think they'd have to.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
Aha, OK. Didn't realise it was specifically the map data that was the issue. BTW, have updated my earlier post - it was TeleNav, not Garmin.

A TomTom GB in England cost appox £90, therefore a app should only be around £10-20.

wi-fi? haha. The thought makes me laugh. imagine only being able to use ur gps navigator while connected to a wi-fi hotspot... did you do it? ok, now laugh.

Now real time traffic reports would be badass...

as would the whole radio/ gps/ phone combo... mmm....

stevepeck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
HULL-Yorkshire-UK
When Steve Jobs mentioned GPS in his 3GIphone speech, the 1st thing l thought of was, TomTom, Garmen, etc...turn by turn speech etc.
Love my 3gIphone but it would of been so so so so nice.
The Nokia, samsung, Blackberry guys would of been so pissed off!

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006

TomTom sells its software for PDAs and Smartphones, it's $150 (USD), i'd expect a similar price for the iPhone version.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
When Steve Jobs mentioned GPS in his 3GIphone speech, the 1st thing l thought of was, TomTom, Garmen, etc...turn by turn speech etc.
Love my 3gIphone but it would of been so so so so nice.
The Nokia, samsung, Blackberry guys would of been so pissed off!

What do you mean ''would of been"?
TomTom software IS coming, just wait ;)

jeffreyfort

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2006
Findlay, Ohio
I'd pay a lot for TomTom on iPhone. The maps, rerouting, all the POIs, the choice of voices -- it is a great system -- and just begging to be on an iPhone. But the maps have to be in the phone's memory, not just on the internet. There are also a lot of other gps-using software that needs to come to iPhone. geocaching, for example. see GPSPilot's "Tracker" and "Compass" for Palm. Geoniche for Palm. They all will come to iPhone eventually, or someone else will develop something similar. But so far, the GPS capability on iPhone, IMO, is lame.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
WHAT!?!!? There was no way I was expecting that. I was thinking more like $20 tops! Is that an insane thought?

Call me crazy but I do think they'd lower the price for the iphone 3g due to the large user base.

They might lower the price for the iPhone (I highly doubt it).

I originally was thinking the 20-50 dollar range. but that was before I really THOUGHT about it. The TOMTOM software is measured in Gigabytes, Apps available right now are measured in kilobytes/megabytes. Navigation software is sort of a big deal, and 100 bucks would not be unreasonable by any stretch of the imagination.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
The max I would pay for this app would be $50. Other phones have this built in so it's even still a rip off. Revolutionary phone my ass. Revolutionary cash cow for apple, yes.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2003
I need turn-by-turn gps navigtion before I will buy an iPhone. I use TomTom Navigator in my Palm Treo all the time. Hurry-up, TomTom, Garmin, or whatever!!

Never having had GPS prior to the iPhone I'm quite happy with it. Can it be improved? Sure. But after going to Google Maps and writing down my directions for years this is much more advanced than I'm used to. I really like it.

logicpro7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
London UK
£29.99 is about right. Seeing as you can buy a touch screen TomTom ONE with car mount, SD card with maps and built in bluetooth handsfree phone connection for around £90.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
£29.99 is about right. Seeing as you can buy a touch screen TomTom ONE with car mount, SD card with maps and built in bluetooth handsfree phone connection for around £90.

Except you're paying for the licence, not the hardware in this case.

Anyone who thinks that Tom Tom will sell their product for £20-30 or imagines that they'll put a bargain basement price on it because Apple have several million customers is kidding themselves.

velvetme

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I do remember hearing prior to the keynote unveiling that both telenav and tomtom would be packaging software options for iphone users. Already use telenav and I love it for several reasons;

drive times are incredibly accurate (on sprint service speedsd anyway). Theres also 9 million points of interest (you could spend 599 on a tomtom and still not get that many) and it also has a great 'memory' for favorites and recent destinations... and of course it posts GAS PRICES...

telenav would be fantabulous on iphone

*right now im paying $9.99/month for telenav so i would imagine it would be the same for iphone. I also forgot that telenav has text-to-speech and you can "call in" an address" if you are driving and can't be typing on your phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.