Too fussy for new iPad case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by IvanX, Mar 31, 2012.

1. IvanX macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I don't consider myself picky, but I do know what I want. However, I seem to be having no luck in finding a suitable case for "the new" iPad. Here is a list of criteria, more or less in the order of importance:

-- Has to be designed for the new iPad, none of that "suitable for iPad 2 and the new iPad" stuff.

-- Has to protect the back, with cutouts for camera, audio, etc and the front bezel

-- Has to be foldable and allow 2 stands: typing and media viewing

-- Has to have a stud/magnetic snap fastener

-- Lighter colours like tan leather are preferable as the iPad is white

-- Leather/faux leather would be best for material, but not a deal breaker.

Any help and pointers would be much appreciated :)

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

All iPad 3 cases will also work on the iPad 2 (maybe not vice-versa) so if the "suitable for iPad 2 & 3" label on the package bothers you you'll never have one. :)

3. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Funny, we had the same thoughts exactly! I also like tan with my white iPad. While I have a few cases already, by far my favorite is the tan leather Smart Cover with the tan Smart Feather back. Just a super combination. Looks nice, feels good when carrying, and an absolute minimum extra weight. I think my other covers will be sitting for a while . . .

5. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

6. elmo151 Guest

7. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

I disagree that I will never find out. iPad 2 and 3 have different thickness, so either one would be held snugly and the other would stretch the case or iPad 3 would hold nicely and iPad 2 would wobble. There are cases out there specifically for iPad 3, so that just narrows things down for me.

Thanks! They seem to have it in black and no stud button, plus sleep-wake only extends to iPad 2. I'll think about it...

Thank you for suggesting. I would prefer an all-in-one unit rather than 2 separate parts.

Looks nice on paper, but lacks info and gallery illustrations of how it looks in various positions. I will keep checking.

Having done some digging, this is a case that I like:

[​IMG]

http://uk.cygnett.com/ipad/lavish-earth-3.html

What do you think?

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

The OP could never accept that because it says right on the page: "Intelligent, Stylish Attire for new iPad (3rd Gen) & iPad2" One of his qualifications in his OP is: Has to be designed for the new iPad, none of that "suitable for iPad 2 and the new iPad" stuff.

9. Thomasss95 macrumors regular

Thomasss95

I know, but almost every case for the new iPad is suitable for the iPad 2 too...
    The case is designed for the new iPad. It isn't even available yet, so it isn't a case that was available before the new iPad came out.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

11. squidkitten macrumors 6502

squidkitten

Here is the leather Caj case for the iPad 2 from Uniea, which they have announced that they are currently developing a new version for the new iPad, which I'm sure will also include new features to eliminate any sort of negatives from the iPad 2 case (such as the lack of a microphone cut out).

http://uniea.com/Tablet-Cases-case/iPad-2-case/Leather-Caj-Pad-for-iPad-2_82.aspx

This guy did a great review on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7RpIhRH8J0

Uniea always has great quality products, and their leather is very nice.

It'll be a bit of a wait until the redesigned version for the new iPad is released, but it'll be well worth it!

12. iMule macrumors 6502

This must be my imposter. Let's start a company together. I agree. Nobody, and I'm talking NOBODY has made the perfect case yet that I will accept.

13. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

This really covers most folio cases.
    Take a look at the Griffin Elan slim case.

14. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

How does is the front cover side secured? Magnets or left as is?

Looks good, but does not protect the bezel. I'll happily sacrifice sleep/wake functionality of the front cover for bezel protection.

Tried one already. iPad 3 made the device enclosure bulge. Probably fits iPad 2 a treat, but that's not the device I have :)

15. ethanw macrumors newbie

haha. been wondering how good your taste is... so ugly

16. batotman macrumors 6502

I'm really looking forward to the Speck Fitfolio 3. I quite liked the 2 except for no sleep/wake.

17. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm less fussed about looks than function. It needs to do what I want it to do first.

Thanks for the pointer, I will keep Speck's products on my radar.

18. hamsup1o macrumors member

Sena Magnetic Florence seems to fit your need.

19. cinca macrumors regular

Your list is quite similar to mine. However, I would add that I want a case that doesn't cover the bezel of the iPad. To me, nothing is worse than a beautiful leather case that has this clumsy, ugly thick frame that hangs over the edge of my nice glass screen.

I currently own the switch easy canvas case and all-in-all think it's pretty good. I'm not a fan of the synthetic exterior and I am concerned about how well it's going to keep it's typing position (which is a must-have for me) – so I am looking at alternatives.

Here is one that I came across that looks really promising. I think it meets all of your criteria (although I'm not quite sure what you mean by having a magnetic latch) and it also needs my criteria of keeping the front of my iPad looking nice and clean.

https://www.speckproducts.com/tablet...or-ipad-2.html

hat's a link to the iPad 2 version but they have announced an iPad 3 version shipping this month I believe – and I think somewhere on the website there's a link to a promo page but I couldn't find it.

Best of luck finding the perfect case – it is quite a challenge isn't it?

20. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My friend says that the closer works sometimes. I guess that one is out huh. :(
    Other than the magnet not working the sleep/awake feature... its a nice fit.

21. IvanX thread starter macrumors 6502

On paper, yes. But I do see some issues with design and craftsmanship. Added it to the list of candidates.

Not covering the bezel exposes it to potential damage. To each their own, I suppose. And yes, it is a challenge.

Looks good and is probably good value for money. Shame about the closure though...

22. Marios255 macrumors newbie

finally something good

good afternoon gentlemen. I have seen your concerns, I buy a new iphone. and found on the web store kits that are actually real good and economic and home delivery. Best of all is that they are customizable to suit the client visit it Fortte think it's called.

23. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I checked out the Tucano line over the weekend and I'm really liking the Cornice. Still not quite ready to drop $50 on a case. Its leather and its thin. I've been carrying my iPad around with a Timbuk2 foam case that's great.. But sometimes I like to sit it up on the table and can't without a folio case or smart cover.

you can find it for $50.

http://www.tucanousa.com/shop/folio-case-cornice-for-ipad-3rd-generation-1.html

24. jbc247 macrumors newbie

Did you see the case in person? I am interested to know how everything lines up and the quality of leather.

25. Cayria macrumors newbie

Same!

Can't seem to find any good cases recently... Hunting the stores like crazy ahahhaa