Too Good to Be True ... Is This iMac Deal Legit?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by IS10, Aug 6, 2009.

1. IS10 macrumors newbie

I really wanna buy a 24" iMac, and this offer on eBay is enticing, with the fact that it comes with a LOT of free software, plus three years of Apple Care. However, is it too good? I'm sure the actual computer is legit, but it's all that free software that concerns me. He never states anywhere about where the software comes from, and never says about giving original media for it.

He's a Power Seller, with 100% feedback, and people who bought the same 24" iMac drooled in their feedback, which only makes me a little more suspicious.

For about $2000, an iMac with Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Parallels, Toast, etc looks amazing, but does anyone know if this is up and up?

Thanks in advance!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270438914772&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Software is pirated almost guaranteed. Ask if you are getting the disks.

3. IS10 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just asked the seller this question:

I had a question regarding the software that comes included. How exactly are all these programs free on every iMac you sell? Also, when you say all backed up, does that mean that I will receive original CD's for those apps, since I may want to upgrade to Snow Leopard in a few months.

Thanks!

(Using Snow Leopard as an excuse for trying to get him to reveal if there are CD's or not.).

He replied a minute ago with this:

I receive these computers from my vendor and they come customized already. I do not sell any software at all and the back ups are images of every application installed on the computer, so whenever you need to reinstall any if them you can do it from the back ups.
    Thanks for your interest.

4. waiwai macrumors regular

ya sounds like he doesn't have the "originals".

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That still doesn't tell us if he pirated the Final Cut Studio, et. al. on the computer.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It more so sounds like just left the .dmgs on the computer.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Software can't be legal. Adobe Master Suite costs over 2000$ + FCS, etc.... But does it matter?

8. IS10 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Does it matter," meaning its still a good buy? Because, technically, buying pirated software is illegal. Who would liable if things went awry, myself, the buyer, who should have known better, or he, the seller, knowingly selling illegal products?

9. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

That must be nigh on 3grands of software. Logic-500, adobe suite-2k, toast about 100 or so. Paralels is about 75 if my memory serves me correctly.

I'd say he's definitely not givingyou the real versions sounds like he's ripped the install DVDs ripped as dmgs on the hd. Who knows if you get serial numbers with all that. :s

PTP

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You're not buying pirated software, you're buying computer. If someone asks how did you get those, you can just say the previous owner had them installed and didn't remove them. Likely they aren't installed, just copied .dmg files which you have to install.

I have a lot pirated software and I've never regretted it.

11. guklein macrumors 6502a

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...It's still wrong.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's BTO

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's OP's choice. He can delete them if he doesn't need them. There are so many things wrong in this world...

15. IS10 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, BTO? Built to order? Or Bachman-Turner Overdrive :p

16. waiwai macrumors regular

the reason u are interested in the damn auction is cuz u want a bunch of "expensive" software for next to nothing. That is why you are considering it. did u really have to ask if the auction was legit or not? come on... what did you expect? getting $2000+ of software for free... common sense dude.

if u are really anal about the software being pirated... delete them when you get it... problem solved...

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yea, built to order

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Scroll down the page and you'll see they're installed. He shows the Applications folder.

19. IS10 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be the only reason for buying this particular iMac through him. If not for the software, I'll just buy a similarly-equipped iMac minus the apps through Apple Store Canada with my education discount for practically the same money, and I don't have to worry about shipping or custom fees either.

EDIT: And the free 8GB iPod touch too :)

20. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I vote pirated.

Look at all of his old auctions. The screen shots are the same and he has installed all of the software on each computer he has for sale. I can guarantee with 99.9% certainty that he didn't pay for each license for each computer.

Your rationalizations (just a big corporation, it isn't really stealing, I'm just trying it, everyone is doing it, I won't get caught) don't change the facts.

I don't care if you buy from him or not. However, I believe that if he is pirating software, he is willing to cheat you on an eBay deal.

By the way, I have never illegally downloaded any music, movies or apps.

21. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Report the auction, selling installed programs with no discs is against eBay policy. The software is obviously pirated.

EBay's used Mac selection is disgusting, it seems like most used Macs have pirated software "pre-installed" on them and that can drive prices up. EBay does no active searching for such things, well, for obvious reasons. But nobody reports these auctions because they don't know any better or think they are getting expensive programs for free. The result is artificially inflated prices of hardware.

If you do buy it, notice that the software will be "registered" to some crack group or a "person" named fuZyBUNnY MiTtenS!.

22. old-wiz macrumors G3

Screams piracy! No reputable vendor would do this. I'd report the scam to e-Bay, but I doubt they really care.

23. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

If you don't care you're not getting legit programs(even if he installed them form legit disc's, the program doesn't allow for multiple licenses for 'free'), then why not just buy it from the Apple store and do one of the follow:

d/l from bittorrent(though it may take a while)

find a 'friend' that can 'lend' you the disc's to copy,

OR buy it legit from an ebay auction(you can sometimes get good deals on FCS(make sure it comes with manuals to make sure legitimacy) or FCE, probably more now than FCS has been updated recently)

P.S. I hate that these powersellers and other highly rated sellers can stay on ebay. I've reported many apple auctions that have 'preloaded' s/w---seller usually say "great deal you're getting $$$ in software." However, it seems like Ebay doesn't care, they pop up all the time and I see them 'sold.' It's really unfair to legit people who sell mac's on ebay without the non-legit s/w.

24. old-wiz macrumors G3

pirated apps also often contain trojans, which can leave you open to all kinds of nasty things.

25. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I've reported it many times, but these auctions still show up, and ones I've reported show an 'ended'(i.e. sold). Problem is ebay won't, for privacy reasons(yeah right), tell you the resolution of your report.

Like you said, for obvious reasons($$$), Ebay won't do anything. They just probably have the reporting system their to cover their butt if the Software Association or others tried to sue them.