Too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kenzembo1, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Kenzembo1 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I stumbled upon this when looking for laptops on craigslist:

For sale:
    Slightly used Apple laptop, 13-inch LED-Backlit widescreen notebook in MINT condition (retail box)!
    I purchased this great notebook 12 months ago for a school project. I have no need for it now and need the cash for tuition.

Apple 13" Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz Features:

* 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB DDR3 Memory (2 x 2GB)
    * 160GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
    * 8x Slot-Loading SuperDrive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    * Built-in full-size Illuminated keyboard with 78 keys
    * MagSafe power port
    * Gigabit Ethernet port
    * Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
    * Mini DisplayPort
    * Audio line in
    * Audio line out
    * Kensington lock slot

* Printed and electronic documentation

Installed software:
    - Microsoft Office 2008
    - Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended
    - Roxio Toast Titanium 9.0.5
    - Sun xVM VirtualBox 2.1.4
    - and lots more!

Asking $400

Is this too good to be true? Can a black macbook really be this cheap, or should I suspect that there is a major flaw in the form of cosmetic or internal damage? I'll let you guys decide. I did send the seller an email requesting close-up pics of the screen and body of the machine. Can't believe it's soo cheap!...This has to be too good to be true.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would be very weary of meeting them for that deal. If it is too good to be true...

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If it is too good to be true, then it is. It is a scam. If you are posting this thread I think you already pretty much know that it is.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Especially because there was never a 2.2ghz model with the nvidia graphics and mini display port. Nvidia + MDP = unibody only, not even out 12 months ago, 2.0ghz or 2.4ghz only. And 2GB DDR3 (2x2?) ......

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

It's too good to be true, that computer does not exist.

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Even if it was a hackintosh, I wouldn't risk it. Why would someone sell a system with specs that exceed a system that can be bought new for more than twice the price?

7. nhaque macrumors member

Well if you can meet him locally why not check it out, you can even bring it to the apple store to do a check-up. But only locally though, doesn't hurt to try.

8. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Every time I have responded to an ad like this, I get a reply saying that they're Amy, or Amanda or some other name beginning with an A, stating that they're from my city, but are now students in the UK, and suggesting a way to wire them the money for the computer. This is a scam, do NOT wire them the money under any conditions! You might as well walk down the street in the nearest large city and give your money to the first Nigerian you see. ;)

The 2.2 mbp was made late 2007-early 2008, and like a previous poster said, only has nvidia 8600 graphics chip. The 9400 is only carried by the late 08 to present MB's and MBP's and come in 2.0 or 2.4 ghz and higher.

If they respond to the ad, and are available to meet, meet them in a kinko's. Have them bring their original receipt for the machine, you bring a bill of sale with a space for the serial number of the machine, and their signature, ph and address. Get a copy of their receipt, and offer them a copy of the bill of sale.

But again, from my experience, I doubt they'll meet you face to face.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Not to mention

"* 2GB DDR3 Memory (2 x 2GB)"

wouldn't that total 4GB? .. 2 x 2gb = 4gb.
    obvious scam.

10. Kenzembo1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input guys

I don't have a lot of experience with craigslist- I go on there once a week or so to see if they have any good deals. From what you guys are saying, I'm convinced that this one is definitely a scam. He wrote me back this morning and you guessed it- he's from the UK! Here's what he wrote:

Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested for $400. My name is Andrew and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
    This machine is 12 Months old and it has been used for professional needs, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. Other than a small area of light scratches on the underside and the normal finger stains that can be removed with a damp rag, this MacBook is MINT!!!
    The AppleCare warranty is good until March 24th, 2011 and it is fully transferable.
    The laptop has the Leopard 10.5.6 OS, the iLife 09, the MS Office 2008, the Adobe CS3. The software was made for the US so I thought it would add value to the laptop if I sell it in the US.
    One more thing, the laptop is an US version and it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
    I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

I'd post the 4 pics that he included in the email, but I'm honestly not entirely sure how to go about doing that. The computer is definitely in mint condition- these are not* stock photos, but I'm still very weary. I find it very odd that he responded only an hour after I sent him the message asking about it, and that was at 2:30am (which means that he was up and wrote back at 3:30am)...also, I included my name in the email, and he responded by saying "Hello", which leads me to believe that it's a generic email that is sent out to all that reply to the ad.

11. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

This is one of two things:

1) MOST LIKELY a hoax. There never was a machine made with those specs...

2) We have an ID10T that does not know his own machines specs or value. I highly doubt it...

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

scam scam scam scam scam

The best thing is that if you are using the European sites, the scammers will often say they are in the U.S. (The more stupid scammers still claim they are from Nigeria).

13. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

14. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Lol, that's exactly what Clyde said would happen! His name begins with A and everything, lol.

I dont think the black macbooks ever had illuminated keyboards did they?

Have some fun with the scammer - write back and tell him you're in Manchester too! What a coincidence!

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

This ain't my first rodeo, pallie. Oh, and I forgot about the Manchester part, too. My bad.

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

1) It's wary, not weary.
    2) It's a complete scam. The machine never existed, and even if it did, no one in their right mind would give it away for 400 bucks.

17. waiwai macrumors regular

18. akm3 macrumors 68020

Another part of the bogus specs is there were no LED backlit 13" Apples Macbooks.

19. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

21. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Yes, as I was reading I was like "Wait, They didnt have no Nvidia card in these 12 months ago :confused:"

Its a rip-off. DON'T BUY IT!!!!!!!

22. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

This is very true

I wouldn't take this deal... It is probably fake... the above is completely true...:apple:

23. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

never existed for a white macbook, and alu macbooks don't come in 2.2GHz variants

24. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

Well, there's egg and bacon, egg sausage and bacon, egg and scam, egg bacon and scam; egg bacon sausage and scam, scam bacon sausage and scam; scam egg scam scam bacon and scam, scam sausage scam scam bacon scam tomato and scam.

I've received something like this about a MacBook Air. I would have loved a $400 MBA...
    Heres what I got in response:

If you ever are dealing with Craigslist for a Mac, meet at an Apple store. You can have a genius check out the computer, get any adaptors you need, and go. All in a safe, public area;)
    SG :apple:

25. old-wiz macrumors G3

Hysterical:
    "syster" - presumably means sister..

"I can't use the laptop here in UK because it works on 110 V. " ********. All recent computers sense dual voltage.

"I didn't know about this problem" because there is no problem.

"pay my rent for next 3 months" is $400 going to pay rent for 3 months? HA.