Too Human (not Too bad but still annoying somewhat)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by MRU, Sep 16, 2008.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well here we go with yet another anticipated title that didn't quite live up to the review scores and hyperbole we and it's developer expected.

Like many I have read many of the reviews, and played the very mundane demo from xbox live marketplace and I had little hope of this game.

In fact had the fact that I had not pre-ordered the game and bought it for half price I probably would not have bought it, but would I have missed out ????

Very much in the same vein as LAIR - a game critically beaten in reviews and on forums (despite many of the hate garnered towards it being uncalled for and from people who had'nt even experienced it) Too Human seems to be garnering the same reaction.

So it was with trepidation that I loaded my disc into my 360 and pressed the A button to start the game.

From the menu screen I chose my character class * a beserker * and proceeded to play the game.

First impressions count and whilst the first part of the game is essentially the same as the 360 live marketplace demo it is fleshed out a lot and makes far more sense.

We are at intervals treated to flashbacks, and as the story slowly unfolds we are introduced to more and more Norse mythology.

By the time you have finished the first mission, combatted GRENDL, learned to customise your character a little and come to grips with the skill system - the game really begins to take you in.

An hour or more into the game we are introduced to other Norse gods including Odin, Thor and if anyone remembers 'Loki' of Mask fame then you'll be interested to find he is also important to the Too Human story albeit thankfully without Jim Carey.

Combat changes depending on the character class you choose at the beginning. I decided to go for a more Melee combat style - however I probably will try a gun based character class at some point.

Customisation is important in this game, and it's certainly a case that you will get as much out of it, as you put in. It can be quite daunting, but once you get to grips it's ok and certainly no more or less fiddly that the majority of RPG's upgrade / customisation systems.

Camera system takes some getting used to also and it does feel unnatural at first - however again once you have invested an hour or more into the game it becomes a lot easier to use, however it still doesn't ever feel 'natural' but perfunctory.

Graphically I'm playing at 1080p and the game looks very good indeed. Cut scenes are impressive and landscapes and vista's for the most part are well done.

A lot of reviews have stated that the game feels like your going from one room to another battling enemies until you finally get to an enemy/boss battle and panned the game in this regard. Well yes to an extent this is true - however it is the same for a lot of other games and Too Human in many ways plays in a similar fashion to FOLKLORE on the PS3 in this level structure. And like that game its not the level structure that keeps the game together or your interest - it's the 'story' that keeps it all together and in that regard like FOLKLORE, Too Human succeeds.

It's probably the fact that I enjoyed FOLKLORE despite it's flaws, that Too Human has left me very pleasantly surprised.

I think a lot of 'fair' criticism has been made about the game - however the majority of hate it seems to have garnered is unfair.

There is depth here if one invests the time to discover it.

Silicon Knights certainly do not have a 'classic' on their hands - but they do have a very good game that is far more deserving of gamers 'time' than what it seems to have garnered so far, and I suspect that the majority of bile that has been spewed onto forum pages about how bad the game is - comes from people who are judging either by others reviews (chinese whisper style - where the story becomes worse with each retelling) or by those who have never played the game let alone the demo.

Still unconvinced Too Human is worth your time (let alone money) then ignore the demo and maybe hire the game out for a day or two and spend an couple of hours with it - like me you may be pleasantly surprised.

For anyone in the UK/Euro I managed to pick my Asian version up for £25 delivered from play-asia.com

:)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't think I'd pay £25 for this, £15 maybe. I tried the demo and (barring everything else) did not enjoy the controls. Then again I wasn't keen on the Eternal Darkness controls too but after a bit of grinding I really got into it by the 3rd timezone/level bit and really liked it there on.

Cheers MRU, you've given this chap hope for the game.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I saw the review by Zero Punctuation and although I don't recall the exact wording (it was like spoken very quickly with multiple swear words interspersed), he commented that it was certainly unusual to use the "camera control stick" for melee combat.

I've tried the demo but I got sick of it before I even got to the end. I might try it again later, but at the moment I'll let Square own my soul :p

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm glad you like it but as for me the controls aren't my cup of tea. I feel like I have no control over the combat system and the character goes where ever he feels like.

Only way I'm picking up this "gem" is if was given to me.

Bless

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

6. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah.. Tormenting you guy's IS fun ;)

The controls as I said in my mini review aren't instinctive and even now I'm about 6 hours into it - they still are not instinctive. However they are perfunctory and they do their job.

The story is quite engaging though and it is what is holding my attention and I do like the leveling up system and customisation.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend anyone to just go out and buy it - I do think Too Human is one of those games which like Marmite or Vegemite is an aquired taste and one that it's proably not best to enjoy in large ammounts.

But my main point to this is that sometimes reviews can be overly harsh - just as much as they can be overly forgiving to other games. Here we have a game that is good / above average and yet I suspect that the majority of gamers will now simply avoid it altogether.

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The more demos the better on xbox live, especially when games go for $60 a pop. Too Human is ok but I probably won't buy it.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I haven't beat the game yet but so far, some moments really feel like you're just getting squashed by a bunch of bad guys spawning on you, you kill a couple, die, respawn a few yards back, kill a couple, die, repeat. They had to give you unlimited lives because honestly I'm not sure if some of the encounters would be fun at all if you had to die so often and completely redo them each time.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah I'm starting to be bogged down in this now and it's becoming irksome.

Also do I really need to see myself lifted up to the heavens EVERYTIME! I mean 'I get it, I'm dead'... I just want to re-spawn and carry on - not wait a minute or so to do so.

The battles are also superbly unbalanced and there is obviously no algorithm at work balancing your character class to the field of combat and AI.

The fact I chose a Melee style class and yet it appears to me that most of the battles really favor long distance gun combat means that the game is utterly unbalanced at this stage as I can not improve my gun skills to a level where battles become anything other than a seriously long winded struggle.

There is still so much to like in Too Human, but it gets 'the very basics' wrong and at times it's hard to see past that fact to all the really good stuff.

I'm still playing the game, but what saddens me is the fact I'd know I'd be enjoying it so much more if the games basic core problems were addressed as they should have been from the outset.

I'd still say 'rent it' if you had any interest but my enthusiasm is starting to be really tested at the moment and I'm unsure if it will be sustained to the end. The only thing keeping me going is the story.
    :eek:

10. madfresh macrumors regular