Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
thousands of options organized neatly and logically and accessed easily is much better than fewer options done badly.

case in point is ios where fewer options makes a mess. Settings are in both main and app itself with no fixed pattern. Toggles are spread all over the list. Command options are strewn all over the place like top and bottom and sometimes in a slide up (unlike in Android where all command options are logically organized in menus). Plus inconsistency in flow like press small arrow to right of item to edit but swipe right to callout out delete (unlike android where you just long press an item to edit or delete)

In android when you have a physical menu button there's no visual indication about when there is a menu you can call up, you just have to try it and see. Even though menus are "strewn all over the place in iOS" at least they are visible.

Settings for built in apps are all in settings, but apple obviously can't dictate that developers but their apps in settings too. That's not an iOS fault..

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
In android when you have a physical menu button there's no visual indication about when there is a menu you can call up, you just have to try it and see. Even though menus are "strewn all over the place in iOS" at least they are visible.

Settings for built in apps are all in settings, but apple obviously can't dictate that developers but their apps in settings too. That's not an iOS fault..

my point is that it is not any easier even with fewer options when the design is messed up e.g accessing settings in ios is obviously more tedious and confusing requiring jumping out and in of applications. this is an obvious fault of ios design. developers just try to make life easier for the users by having them in the app.

without menu you also waste screen area to cater to those command buttons. I see many ios apps that require more than 4 command options really make a mess of the ui.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
my point is that it is not any easier even with fewer options when the design is messed up e.g accessing settings in ios is obviously more tedious and confusing requiring jumping out and in of applications. this is an obvious fault of ios design. developers just try to make life easier for the users by having them in the app.

without menu you also waste screen area to cater to those command buttons. I see many ios apps that require more than 4 command options really make a mess of the ui.

I beg to differ. In iOS you can change settings for most things in the settings app. It's just one place to go! If certain apps don't put their settings in the settings app, that's nothing to do with iOS and everything to do with the developer. iOS offers the ability to put settings in the settings app.

I can't think of any app that's a mess because of that. Got any examples?

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Great points.

Android and is menu button is something that is genius.

Also when I try an iphone after being with android since may I always miss the back button! I don't see how I went a year with an iphone without a back button

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Samsung lacks vision or at least some sort of focus (altho I think the S-pen and the Galaxy note series was a good gamble). Good thing they make impressive powerful phones with lots of options.

Apple lacks trust in the consumer and the will to make big changes. They also are a bit sterile and too clean. But their integration of systems, services and apps and their laser focus on what is important and good taste makes for an impressive phone.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Samsung lacks vision or at least some sort of focus (altho I think the S-pen and the Galaxy note series was a good gamble). Good thing they make impressive powerful phones with lots of options.

Apple lacks trust in the consumer and the will to make big changes. They also are a bit sterile and too clean. But their integration of systems, services and apps and their laser focus on what is important and good taste makes for an impressive phone.

I don't think it's fair to say Samsung lacks vision when their newly announced handset packs in a lot of industry firsts.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Apple wants to eliminate the file system - I think that is the main reason why there's no attach feature.

Something does need to be done about sharing I think. It would be great if apps could register themselves as 'receivers' for certain kinds of files, then any app that shares a file can send it to any app that receives it. Likewise, apps that can share files should be able to register themselves as 'sharers,' so that apps like mail can access their files - i.e., to attach.

That is still not as powerful as having a file system but infinitely better than what we have now.

Apple is so wrong with that approach. I can understand not having people deal with a bunch of folder paths etc but iOS desperately needs one central place where you can store what you need. Just replicating the user directory of OSX would be more than enough - you'd just have Documents, Music etc in one place. Now we need to use for example Dropbox as a replacement for that.

The way iOS also doesn't allow anything to hook into the system is terrible. I want to be able to choose which browser to use, which program opens what filetype, have programs able to register them as services where you can share crap etc.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I beg to differ. In iOS you can change settings for most things in the settings app. It's just one place to go! If certain apps don't put their settings in the settings app, that's nothing to do with iOS and everything to do with the developer. iOS offers the ability to put settings in the settings app.

a centralized settings make sense if you have few apps. if you have many apps the scrolling to find the setting for a particular app in question become laborious. add to the tedious steps to access the main settings screen.

example of mess? you find it all over. in list view you use the small arrow to edit or swipe to callout delete. but in other view you have the edit/del either at the top/bottom. Adding to confusion for other commands you may have the slide up command buttons or the ''more" button.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

There's Adobe Reader like I mentioned before. In the settings menu for the app there is a option for max brightness when viewing PDF's. Which makes sense to ME because that seems like something iOS would restrict this option to the settings app. However to set inverse background from white to black which is another screen setting while viewing PDF's is in the apps settings.

MOST apps just have their version numbers in iOS settings. Which can be useful but of the 83 apps I've downloaded only 14 are in settings so its not like a place I can always go to check what version my app is. Plus I've yet to need to know the version of any of my apps. But if I did you can find version number for ALL your apps on settings > general > usage > [app name], so I don't even understand why some apps are even on the first settings screen.

The only time an app has settings in the iOS settings menu is when there is a restriction due to iOS. Most apps keep there settings in the app. That's why I only have 14 apps in iOS settings for the 84 apps I have.

BTW I edited this like 6 times matttye, I'm learning new things as I dive in and out of the settings menu.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
a centralized settings make sense if you have few apps. if you have more scrolling to find the setting for the app in question become laborious.

example of mess? you find it all over. in list view you use the small arrow to edit or swipe to callout delete. but in other view you have the edit/del either at the top/bottom. Adding to confusion for other commands you may have the slide up command buttons or the ''more" button.

Sorry I don't know what you mean without examples.

Settings; point taken. I guess it depends. If you're initially setting up your phone and want to change a lot of settings at the same time, the iOS way would be better as you shouldn't have to leave the settings app. At least, that's how it would be if every app adhered to putting their settings in settings.app.

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I don't think it's fair to say Samsung lacks vision when their newly announced handset packs in a lot of industry firsts.

Like what? It's a great phone, no doubt about it, but it doesn't really do anything new? Great screen, thin, powerful, some more S-features no-one will use, ... The health thing is interesting tho. I dunno. I feel like Samsung is just releasing phones for everyone in all sizes (advance, plus, mini, note, ace, ...) but doesn't have a real direction. Not that it matters that much but I like the whole OSX/iOS with iCloud integration. Everything is easy and recognisable.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Like what? It's a great phone, no doubt about it, but it doesn't really do anything new? Great screen, thin, powerful, some more S-features no-one will use, ... The health thing is interesting tho. I dunno. I feel like Samsung is just releasing phones for everyone in all sizes (advance, plus, mini, note, ace, ...) but doesn't have a real direction. Not that it matters that much but I like the whole OSX/iOS with iCloud integration. Everything is easy and recognisable.

- First Octa-Core CPU (Yes, yes, I know it's not REALLY 8 cores).
- 5 Inch display in a SMALLER footprint.
- Global LTE Roaming

Samsung DOES release phones in all sizes for all different budgets - but their S line is their flagship.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
but I like the whole OSX/iOS with iCloud integration. Everything is easy and recognisable.

That's what I like most about Android/Google, everything integrates with Google's cloud and I can access my stuff anywhere

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
What
To which I ask, why should I even need to manage my settings at all?

So you never needed to turn on wifi or turn it off from being in a weak area or having spite wifi?

If in a weak area the phone will keep switching from data to wifi and it gets annoying. Also iphones have a tendency to lag when switching from network to wifi and vice versa.

Or if the wifi is slow as dirt, you'd definitely want to turn it off and use the network

On iphone you have to hit home, go to settings, wifi, then turn it on, then click home and click back on your app. (or use the multitasking bar) when in android it's so much easier to just pull down from the top, tap wifi, and be done with it.

So much easier.

Bluetooth?

Want to take a call manually and don't want it in the Bluetooth? Home, settings, Bluetooth, off, home, then call them back.

Android? Pull down, tap.

Turn off screen rotation? (especially useful when laying in bed reading an online forum).
All you have to do is pull down, tap, and go. Much easier than ios

Wireless hot spot?
Same thing, pull down, tap, and go. In ios you have to go to settings, general, cellular, personal hot spot, turn it on, then home. Shouldn't be so complicated.

Airplane mode? Ever want to sleep but don't want anyone calling you? Pt the phone in airplane mode. IOS is home, settings, air plane mode, then go back to what you were doing, too complicated, with android? Pull down and tap. Way easier.

Flash light? Android you just pull down and tap

Brightness? Pull down and Dean the indicator. Simple as that, no going home, settings, brightness, THEN adjusting

So yes, the are tons of times when the average person needs to adjust their settings

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
What

So you never needed to turn on wifi or turn it off from being in a weak area or having spite wifi?

If in a weak area the phone will keep switching from data to wifi and it gets annoying. Also iphones have a tendency to lag when switching from network to wifi and vice versa.

Or if the wifi is slow as dirt, you'd definitely want to turn it off and use the network

On iphone you have to hit home, go to settings, wifi, then turn it on, then click home and click back on your app. (or use the multitasking bar) when in android it's so much easier to just pull down from the top, tap wifi, and be done with it.

So much easier.

Bluetooth?

Want to take a call manually and don't want it in the Bluetooth? Home, settings, Bluetooth, off, home, then call them back.

Android? Pull down, tap.

Turn off screen rotation? (especially useful when laying in bed reading an online forum).

Wireless hot spot?
Same thing, pull down, tap, and go. In ios you have to go to settings, general, cellular, personal hot spot, turn it on, then home. Shouldn't be so complicated.

Airplane mode? Ever want to sleep but don't want anyone calling you? Pt the phone in airplane mode. IOS is home, settings, air plane mode, then go back to what you were doing, too complicated, with android? Pull down and tap. Way easier.

Brightness? Pull down and Dean the indicator. Simple as that, no going home, settings, brightness, THEN adjusting

So yes, the are tons of times when the average person needs to adjust their settings

All of which can be simplified even further to simply "tap", by adding them as persistant (and discrete, if desired) widgets on the home screen :)

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

In my case, the only times I need wifi is at home (when my phone switches to my home network) or at my office (where I have no 3G, so it connects to my own personal router). Free wifi is practically non-existent in my area, and the networks that do exist tend to be password protected, so there is no risk of me accidentally connecting to them.

So basically, at home, I am on wifi. When I leave my house, my phone switches back to 3G automatically once out of range (transition has been seamless). Once at my office, it switches over again to my other personal wifi. This arrangement has been working perfectly thus far.

You mean bluetooth headset? Don't use those, though I guess you have a fair point.

Isn't that what the mute switch is for on the ipad?

Wireless hot spot?
Fair enough point, though again, I rarely hotspot.

Do not disturb set for 11pm to 6 am every weekday. Though you are right in that once in a while, I do need to toggle airplane mode on/off to reset my 3g, so a shortcut for that would definitely help. Still, I feel the right solution would be to continue improving on wireless connectivity.

Is there even a flashlight option for iPhone? Though I do have this launch centre app that lets me turn on a flashlight and toggle brightness with 2 taps. Close enough, I guess.

Probably. It is just that to me, the better solution should be to continue working on these issues you mentioned such that they just work effortlessly in the background without you needing to micromanage every small detail.

I guess I don't mind their inclusion, just that I don't particularly care for them. I am content to just leave features like wireless and bluetooth always on (since they don't really consume much power), but maybe it's just me. :p

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010

There's a difference between vision and throwing a bunch of features against a wall and seeing which one sticks. A lot of the features in the S4 are cool in theory, but in practice I don't see them either being all that useful or working that well (an example of the former being group play, the latter being smart scroll).

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
In my case, the only times I need wifi is at home (when my phone switches to my home network) or at my office (where I have no 3G, so it connects to my own personal router). Free wifi is practically non-existent in my area, and the networks that do exist tend to be password protected, so there is no risk of me accidentally connecting to them.

So basically, at home, I am on wifi. When I leave my house, my phone switches back to 3G automatically once out of range (transition has been seamless). Once at my office, it switches over again to my other personal wifi. This arrangement has been working perfectly thus far.

You mean bluetooth headset? Don't use those, though I guess you have a fair point.

Isn't that what the mute switch is for on the ipad?

Fair enough point, though again, I rarely hotspot.

Do not disturb set for 11pm to 6 am every weekday. Though you are right in that once in a while, I do need to toggle airplane mode on/off to reset my 3g, so a shortcut for that would definitely help. Still, I feel the right solution would be to continue improving on wireless connectivity.

Is there even a flashlight option for iPhone? Though I do have this launch centre app that lets me turn on a flashlight and toggle brightness with 2 taps. Close enough, I guess.

Probably. It is just that to me, the better solution should be to continue working on these issues you mentioned such that they just work effortlessly in the background without you needing to micromanage every small detail.

I guess I don't mind their inclusion, just that I don't particularly care for them. I am content to just leave features like wireless and bluetooth always on (since they don't really consume much power), but maybe it's just me. :p

Fair response.

I respect you, you can see the other sides point and even admit when something was pulled off better

----------

Besides Samsung hasn't included many new features on its own but has copied most of them from bb10 and iOS ..

What was copied from Apple?

And please don't say a home button lol

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
What

So much easier.

Bluetooth?

Android? Pull down, tap.

Wireless hot spot?

Personally, I leave everything on because my battery life on my iPhone 5 is such that I can do this....

The ONLY time I toggle ANYTHING is Airplane mode.

HOWEVER, I do find the flashlight toggle to be EXTREMELY useful on Android. But this is because iOS doesn't include the flashlight function in the OS - its a third party app which I have to find and launch....much prefer the pull down and press via Power Toggles on Android.

As I said - the flashlight is the only one I'd use on my iPhone....I simply leave everything on and don't worry about it. On my N4 I have JuiceDefender generally manage that stuff, but I keep a close eye on those things given its pretty poor overall battery life.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm constantly toggling things.

Do not disturb because you can't set days.

Bluetooth because I don't use it all the time AND when you get too much stuff in the bar at the top the battery percentage is removed.

Airplane mode because I fly frequently AND to reset my 3G when it gets slow.

Wifi because sometimes at work I'll be in my vehicle still connected to my works wifi but its to slow due to range.

Brightness, on occasion I'll need to adjust it, not very often I find the auto setting in iOS to be pretty good.

Aside from that I feel like I'm constantly looking at my battery usage just to see if I'm on par with what I normally am. I like how Android has a shortcut right to the battery screen. Not only that but a very thorough battery usage screen which tells you what is using the power.

Regardless I'm not turning anything on/off to conserve battery. I'm turning them on/off for better functionality.

As far as the flashlight goes...meh. You can get an app that turns it on as soon as the app is opened and put that on your home screen. That's about the same thing as a toggle.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
No one has ever sat in the rear of my car but I still want there to be some seats there................Just in case.............But if not, they wont be used.

A car analogy that actually works. This may be a first for the Internet! ;)

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No one has ever sat in the rear of my car but I still want there to be some seats there................Just in case.............But if not, they wont be used.

How about this:

I'm not going to buy a truck because I don't need the truck bed. Sure it might come in handy, but generally speaking I won't ever use it and the drain on gas isn't worth it.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
How about this:

I'm not going to buy a truck because I don't need the truck bed. Sure it might come in handy, but generally speaking I won't ever use it and the drain on gas isn't worth it.

If the extra features on a phone are not used they will not drain the battery, the gas used in the truck will be the same regardless if the bed is used or not. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.