Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If the extra features on a phone are not used they will not drain the battery, the gas used in the truck will be the same regardless if the bed is used or not. :)

I'd rather buy something with the features I need today all wrapped up in a nice UI than something that's a bit of a mess but has extra features that I may or may not need one day.

Plus it integrates with my PC and iPad :D

To each their own. Nobody will ever be convinced away from what THEY like, so these analogies and discussions are largely pointless :p

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
If the extra features on a phone are not used they will not drain the battery, the gas used in the truck will be the same regardless if the bed is used or not. :)

However all those added features add bloat to the software causing unnecessary strain (whether they are on or not) to the device....

Hence why an iPhone with a dual core CPU runs as smoothly (sometimes smoother) than an Android phone with a quad core CPU.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
However all those added features add bloat to the software causing unnecessary strain (whether they are on or not) to the device....

I disagree, there are lots of things on my MBP that I don't use but don't class as bloatware, they don't slow it either. Similarly on the GS4 if it is well implemented, when not in use it won't harm the experience.

Bottom line is, I still want the back seats in my car, they don't slow it down and are there if I need them. I still think that your truck with a bed is a poor illustration. :)

I know I will now get some petrol head claiming that by removing weight it will make the car faster, but TBH, if you take my back seats out, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in speed in real world use.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Hence why an iPhone with a dual core CPU runs as smoothly (sometimes smoother) than an Android phone with a quad core CPU.

But this argument could be taken in many different directions.

Does the iPhone run smoothly because of less features at all or because all the hardware and software are designed to prioritize user input? At the expense of function I might add.

Does android run choppier (on certain devices) because of too many features or because of not as high of quality optimization or just because user input isn't the first priority?

I have an iPhone 4S and its far from being smooth and seamless 100% of the time. Matter of fact the only time I notice lag and freezes is in native apple apps, especially Message. A lot of the time I'll click a picture then wait up to 3-5 seconds before anything happens. That's not happening because there are to many features that's for sure.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I'd rather buy something with the features I need today all wrapped up in a nice UI than something that's a bit of a mess but has extra features that I may or may not need one day.

Plus it integrates with my PC and iPad :D

To each their own. Nobody will ever be convinced away from what THEY like, so these analogies and discussions are largely pointless :p

I have not read anywhere that it is a "mess"

"features I may need someday" if those features aren't included, your "need" will be left unfulfilled.

Last edited:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I have not read anywhere that it is a "mess"

"features I may need someday" if those features aren't included your "need" will be left unfulfilled.

I'm a soldier, on operations we always carried a bayonet, they are fairly heavy (bloatware perhaps?) I never once needed it, but I always took it just in case.

These analogies really aren't working for me :p

I can buy a device that has what I need now and then buy a different device if my needs change in the future. I don't see the point in buying something I don't like as much just because it has features I might use in the future.

I definitely find the Galaxy devices a bit of a mess. Whilst I really loved my S3, I wanted something a bit cleaner. It felt like some of the features were just hacked together. Some of the gestures felt like they were just thrown in to pad out feature lists. S Beam alongside Android Beam, allshare play, palm to mute, shake to update, etc. S Voice alongside Google Voice Search. They have a big clusterf*ck of features thrown together.

Some like it, others don't. I loved my S3 but ultimately the iPhone is better for me at the moment.

I reiterate that nobody will ever be swayed on this :p

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
These analogies really aren't working for me :p

I can buy a device that has what I need now and then buy a different device if my needs change in the future. I don't see the point in buying something I don't like as much just because it has features I might use in the future.

I definitely find the Galaxy devices a bit of a mess. Whilst I really loved my S3, I wanted something a bit cleaner. It felt like some of the features were just hacked together. Some of the gestures felt like they were just thrown in to pad out feature lists. S Beam alongside Android Beam, allshare play, palm to mute, shake to update, etc. S Voice alongside Google Voice Search. They have a big clusterf*ck of features thrown together.

Some like it, others don't. I loved my S3 but ultimately the iPhone is better for me at the moment.

I reiterate that nobody will ever be swayed on this :p

I agree, there are two camps, those that want, just in case, and those that are wrong. (only joking:p)

You are right, nobody will be swayed. A creditable agree to disagree though. :)

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I agree, there are two camps, those that want, just in case, and those that are wrong. (only joking:p)

You are right, nobody will be swayed. A creditable agree to disagree though. :)

Haha :D

That's the thing that I've come to realise is so pointless about these back and forth debates. Everyone has already made their choice. An iPhone user trying to say why a Galaxy is bad is probably the reason the Galaxy user chose the Galaxy (and vice versa).

It just never ends!

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I'd rather have a company pushing out more features than a company making an ad about how their new phone has noise cancelling feature that every other phone has already. :rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'd rather have a company pushing out more features than a company making an ad about how their new phone has noise cancelling feature that every other phone has already. :rolleyes:

I'd rather a company advertises its own products rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing. So what if everyone else has noise cancelling microphones? The advert is about the iPhone, not those others.

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I'd rather a company advertises its own products rather than worrying about what everyone else is doing. So what if everyone else has noise cancelling microphones? The advert is about the iPhone, not those others.

Apple should be worrying about the competition. Hence why the best new feature of the iPhone 5 is the extra row of icons.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Apple should be worrying about the competition. Hence why the best new feature of the iPhone 5 is the extra row of icons.

You're entitled to your opinion. The screen probably was the biggest update, but it not only features an extra .5", it also features warmer colours, greater sunlight legibility and better viewing angles.

The processor and GPU got a pretty tasty upgrade too ;)

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
You're entitled to your opinion. The screen probably was the biggest update, but it not only features an extra .5", it also features warmer colours, greater sunlight legibility and better viewing angles.

The processor and GPU got a pretty tasty upgrade too ;)

And how many apps take advantage of those upgrades vs the 4S?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The OP is right. The way you can just toggle almost every feature on & off is just way too confusing. No wonder Apple refuses to do this. :p

but-samsung-added-a-lot-of-exclusive-features-to-the-galaxy-s4-heres-the-control-panel-that-lets-you-toggle-each-feature-on-and-off-well-go-over-the-most-important-ones-here.jpg

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
The OP is right. The way you can just toggle almost every feature on & off is just way too confusing. No wonder Apple refuses to do this. :p

You're entitled to your opinion, but how is that confusing? I would much rather prefer to tap one button to turn any number of features on or off than go through a dozen different menus.

Also, that screen there can be completely customised. You can have as many or as little as you like. On mine I just have Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Silent Mode and Screen Rotation toggles.

screenshot2013031910095.png

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
You're entitled to your opinion, but how is that confusing? I would much rather prefer to tap one button to turn any number of features on or off than go through a dozen different menus.

Also, that screen there can be completely customised. You can have as many or as little as you like. On mine I just have Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Silent Mode and Screen Rotation toggles.

And here I thought my sarcasm was so damn obvious. :cool:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
iPhone 5S to have one killer software feature:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Anal...w-killer-feature-we-certainly-hope-so_id41000

What will it be? Fingerprint sensor?

"Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty may be a bit more reliable of a source, because she has recently met with Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer. Huberty is saying that "Apple will surprise this year" with "a killer feature that drives consumers increasingly to the platform”. She said that the feature would start on the iPhone 5S, but made it clear that whatever the improvement, it would be a software feature, because it would increase "the value of those 500 million [Apple] accounts.""

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
iPhone 5S to have one killer software feature:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Anal...w-killer-feature-we-certainly-hope-so_id41000

What will it be? Fingerprint sensor?

"Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty may be a bit more reliable of a source, because she has recently met with Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer. Huberty is saying that "Apple will surprise this year" with "a killer feature that drives consumers increasingly to the platform”. She said that the feature would start on the iPhone 5S, but made it clear that whatever the improvement, it would be a software feature, because it would increase "the value of those 500 million [Apple] accounts.""

So to me this says Apple has another Siri like feature which will be available as part of the 5s launch to push people to upgrade. How is this any different then what they have done with the 4s over the 4 and the 5 over the 4s. This is Apples strategy, dedicate a feature to the newest devices to incent sales....

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So to me this says Apple has another Siri like feature which will be available as part of the 5s launch to push people to upgrade. How is this any different then what they have done with the 4s over the 4 and the 5 over the 4s. This is Apples strategy, dedicate a feature to the newest devices to incent sales....

Wouldn't be surprised one bit if they did that.

And, worse, wouldn't be surprised one bit if it got people to upgrade/buy.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Would rather have a phone with "too many features" (I don't believe there is such a thing if the interface is done right) than a phone that simply does processor/ram upgrades every year and introduces old technology as if its new.

Not to mention the continued use of their own connector when the rest of the world follows a standard. Further recently changing this connector to break compatibility, corner a generated conversion adapter market and offer ZERO benefit over the old form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.