Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Nobody done this with Ipad 2/3/4.

For me it changes nothing ipad mini is smaller that's it. Maybe the same spec is making people decide which to go for but the Air remains the flagship device.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
It may be the "flagship" but it's not as popular anymore. The mini is where it's at. Anyone buying the Air is just itching to buy something as soon as possible. They know they are getting something inferior and will be crying when the mini retina is released!!!

Thought I'd try to get this thread off to a good start.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
It may be the "flagship" but it's not as popular anymore. The mini is where it's at. Anyone buying the Air is just itching to buy something as soon as possible. They know they are getting something inferior and will be crying when the mini retina is released!!!

Really??? I came from a mini. Sorry, 10" just fits better into my life and I mean that.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The Mini was the first iPad purchased by some folks because of its cost and size. What would you think the next step for them would be since the rMini is not available yet? :D

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I agree - I almost wish the mini had its own subforum.... go there and marvel over your tiny little tablet. Ill stick with RED MEAT. :D

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nobody done this with Ipad 2/3/4.

For me it changes nothing ipad mini is smaller that's it. Maybe the same spec is making people decide which to go for but the Air remains the flagship device.

Probably cause iPads 2/3/4 feel like bricks compared to the AIR ;)

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Why would the 2 and 3 have been compared with a device not out yet?

They are comparable because they are now extremely comparable devices in power and physical specs (proportionally).

Vertigo1

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2013
Speaking personally of course, I want a big screen on my tablet and a small screen on my phone.

I don't want a huge phone that's trying to be a tablet nor do I want a small tablet that's trying to be as portable as a phone :p

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Last year when the mini came out everyone said it was vastly inferior (it was) because of the lack of retina and ultimately lower PPI. So now that the retina mini has a higher PPI I think it's fair to say it has a superior screen.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
There are valid reasons for either. A lot of people upgraded from iPad mini to iPad Air because they would prefer the bigger screen and do so even more now that it is in a smaller and lighter package....hence all of the comparisons. I am seeing a ton of comparisons of iPad 4 to iPad Air as well.

I wouldn't say that the iPad Air is "the flagship" device either. Every iOS device created by Apple (except for the iPhone 5C which I really have no idea what they were thinking there) has been a flagship quality device. They have all been competitors to the flagship devices of other competitors. You can't really compare the iPad mini with retina to the Android tablet I can pick up for $70.

iosuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012

LOL in a way you're right about some wanting to buy ASAP - guilty here :p Ever since the announcement I said to myself (think I posted here in one of the threads also) that I'll be keeping my iPad 4 and upgrading my Mini to the Retina as soon as I can. Last Friday came out I went to see the Air and came home with one. I didn't know how much I appreciated the big screen until it shed that 1/2 a pound (from the iPad 4). Not that I'm weak but shedding that half a pound just makes it so much more comfortable to hold.

I appreciate the bigger screen as much as I appreciated the weight difference between the Mini and 4 - in another word it's a perfect compromise for me. I actually went and bought another regular Mini (preowned from Gamestop for $168, checked Apple warranty status it's 2 months old :eek:) so now each person in this household has a tablet - iPad Air all mine :D

OK in all likelihood once I see that retina Mini in person, I'll likely sell off both Minis and buy one of those too and have the best of both worlds ;)

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
And the AIR feels like a brick compared to the mini ;)

Wow. You should start lifting weights.

----------

How is the Air inferior? The mini is inferior in my opinion because it is smaller. Your opinion is different. And don't worry, I won't be crying. I'm getting both iPads!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003

Not sure I agree. I had a3rd gen iPad and a mini and used the mini the mist because of how thin and light it was. Now that the Air has that same form factor I feel like I have a perfect tablet. That's not to say that once the min comes out I might still want both lol.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Wow. You should start lifting weights.

----------

How is the Air inferior? The mini is inferior in my opinion because it is smaller. Your opinion is different. And don't worry, I won't be crying. I'm getting both iPads!

oh my gosh you're so smart and witty :eek: its not so much the weight but the overall size and the footprint of the device. You don't have to lift weights to notice size difference between 2 devices... I wasn't complaining about the weight, I was pointing out that there is still a significant difference in size.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Probably cause iPads 2/3/4 feel like bricks compared to the AIR ;)

I would rather have my tablet feel strong like bricks than to have plasticky feeling glass and easily scratch back with possibility of bendable shape.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
oh my gosh you're so smart and witty :eek: its not so much the weight but the overall size and the footprint of the device. You don't have to lift weights to notice size difference between 2 devices... I wasn't complaining about the weight, I was pointing out that there is still a significant difference in size.

Thanks I have a few more witty remarks up my sleeve.

Brittany246

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2013

LOL in what ways is it inferior? The pixel density is the only thing that's better with the ipad mini.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
It's sooo silly

Mini is AWSOME

Air, it's bigger sibling is AWSOME

Mini and Air

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Air for me. Mini seems too small and reminds me of an iPhone which I already own to satisfy my small, portable device.

I very much prefer the larger screen on the Air. It makes for a more immersive experience IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.