Too much hate ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by GalacticEmp, Aug 24, 2010.

1. GalacticEmp macrumors newbie

Hey all, long time reader,first time poster
    Well i always have browsed this forums for finding useful info about the products i wanted to buy and its been always great but recently(lets say after iPhone 4 release), i am seeing posts mainly about "iPhone vs Android", "iPhone 4 problems", "iPhone 5", and threads like this, in past i always searched google and found great responses in MR iPhone forums but now there is barely anything useful posted, there is too much hate now,
    Does anyone feel the same ?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. GalacticEmp thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not worried, i am saying that as a long time reader i am finding the iPhone forum less useful than before.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

More like way too many people needlessly crying "troll".

Everyone needs to read the moderator announcement at the top of the forum.

Especially this part:

•Calling other users a troll (directly or indirectly, i.e. 'dont feed the troll') is an insult and is against forum rules. If you believe a user to be trolling, please report the applicable post and let us handle it.

6. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

Well this is the iPhone general section so this would probably be the last place I'd look for help. :D

I do agree that there seems to be more of a "I'm better than you" type feeling on these boards though.

7. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Haterism is now an industry.

See failblog.org

8. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

9. clg82 macrumors regular

Most intelligent thing I have read on here since the I4 release.....

10. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Needlessly or dont we trully got way too many of them?
    But why am I not surprised you're taking their side?

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Lately it seems people are very "patriotic" toward the cell phone they use and therefore will not accept any criticism regarding their handset--no matter how indirect or innocuous it may be. It's odd, and I think worthy of study actually.

I think I lot of iPhone users are not accustomed to considering that there is now noteworthy competition by other smartphones. Additionally, they are perturbed by recent negative press about the iPhone 4.

The end result is that people go elsewhere if they are having problems with their iPhone or are considering one.

13. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

This is the Internet, where hatred/fanboism, flamebait and obsession find a home. Your best bet is to do what we truckers do in regards to the C.B. radio, tune it out.

Most of the time, you can pretty easily tell the difference between someone who's got a legitimate question or concern, versus someone just trolling. Likewise, you've got folks with lots of experience with X, Y, Z competitor, and others who simply join every thread to say "mine is better."

Basically, just tune-in to the intelligent conversation, and tune-out the crap.

14. kevinof macrumors 6502a

Agreed 100% but why are people so "patriotic" about their cell phone? Why not their TV or toaster or coffee mug? What is it about something that makes calls and gets you online that gets people so narrow minded and , as the original poster said, hateful about anything else that comes along.

Is it that all of these people have shares in either Apple or Google or MS and feel the need to pump up the product so that they can retire a little earlier?

15. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I've noticed that as the iPhone and Apple has become more and more popular these past few years, more people are coming here. Thats just basic logic. This is a popular site, and with more people coming you get a larger group of each type. People that troll, hate, fan boys, questions, answers, etc.

But I've also noticed that people love to complain. You can give them the answer, but thats not good enough. They just want to complain.
    Example: iPhone 4. Each and every person that got an iPhone 4 has the chance to return it for a 100% refund. Yet, instead of returning their "defective" product they keep it and still keep complaining about it, because thats whats making them happy. So it just shows that you can't make everyone happy no matter what.
    Haters going to hate, fan boys are going to be fans, complainers are going to whine, etc.
    Its a internet forum. It evolves.

16. Maziar macrumors 6502

I agree with both you and the Op,it's internet and there are many hatred,fanboiam etc. But recently there are much more threads about it(compared to before iPhone 4)

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Just throwing it out there - people are passionate about their phones because, I'm guessing, because it's a technology that it used (more and more) every day and multiple times during the day.

Toasters don't have that usage. And really - as long as a toaster toasts - how much can you discuss.

Other items like computers, bicycles, cars, phones, etc will be more heavily debated.

Oh - and also - if you ask any NY'er who has the best Pizza. That's liable to garner a massive debate...

18. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I wish I'd taken a screen shot of these forums about 30 days ago. At one point in mid-late July, I logged in to be greeted with two solid pages filled with a variety of iPhone 4 complaints. The typical stuff: the 'death grip' syndrome, proximity sensor, yellow spots, etc.

Today, 30 days later, still have some posts that show up with complaints, but they are now in the minority.

It just goes to show that everyone loves a good, gruesome, bloody car accident. But for all the rubberneckers and pile-ons, once you get past it, you are irritated that it slowed down your journey at all and you move on.

I'd say the community has moved on.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't really know -- I can only theorize. I think smartphones have become so central in some people's lives that they attach a bit of their identity to it.

20. NYDiplomat macrumors regular

I joined the forum last month and the way you guys handle the "trolls" is hilarious. i.e cool story bro pics and the face palm pics. classic stuff.

21. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Proposing that someone read the posted rules means they side with trolls? Seriously? In addition, I suppose ya'll are totally innocent, right? People just show up at this site and post crap because there's a huge target on it, I suppose? It wouldn't have anything at all to do with the self-centered, pretentious nature of 98% of the posts? You know, like yours.

Nah....can't be that.

22. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

sorry if i say something
    there will always be people who love certain products , i for example love my old ppc Mac's and would not even consider to swap one of them in for a intel Mac
    there are people who love certain car brands and they would not even drive as a passenger in another branded car
    some like only to wear cloth of certain brands too

ok i dont even can imagine why someone would buy a iphone or android or any other of these so called SMART phones , i find mobile phones in general a nuisance beep beep or other sounds wherever you go that drive me mad and i would love to see them banned in public
    i have one(5 year old nokia ) in my car 's glovebox for emergencies (if the car brakes down or in case of a accident )and it gets charged , but the last time it was switched on was i think about 2 years ago when i had a breakdown and needed to call the AA

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I didn't say that because he tried to throw some rule at me like he's a mod but judging by many of his posts. Alot of members agree with me on that.

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Because Apple made it. If Apple made TVs, tosters, and coffee mugs, we would see fanboys crying about how their toster changed their life.

Here, drink a sip of this hatorade out of my Apple iMug.

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Dominos.

I hear you. Hopefully, this site will get back to some kind of normal before too long.