Too Smelly to fly

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Reventon, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Reventon macrumors 6502

Hot off the heels of Kevin Smith being thrown off a Southwest flight for being too fat
    This man was thrown off an Air Canada Jazz flight for being too smelly, lol.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

This actually happens somewhat frequently, but rarely makes it into the news
    Airlines will provide "amenities" and the bathroom and rebook on the next available flight

3. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

If thats the case they should ban all smokers, they stink :)

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I really don't mind them being more strict. Not sure about the KeviN Smith thing, but airlines should do something about making it luxurious to fly again.

As it is now it's just disgusting to fly. Seats are small, people are in bad moods and they nickle and dime you for everything. Plus bringing your own food on board should be abolished. Last couple times someone brought a tuna fish sandwich!

They should have an airline where Coach seats are maybe 50-75 premium each seat, but are more luxurious. Something between coach and first class. With free food and drinks. I would fly that airline all the time. First class is a total rip off unless using miles or comped for being bumped.

6. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Good. Why should everyone else be subjected to someone else's stink for a few hours? Learn personal hygiene, then try joining us in the outside world again.

Are you aware that an airline is a business? They're already losing money at current ticket prices, and you expect a coach seat for $75 PLUS free food, beverage, and other pampering. That's silly.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

So you want more amenities, bigger seats (which means fewer seats and fewer paying passengers) and ticket prices a fraction of the cost? Airlines can't make it now charging us an arm and a leg and packing us in like sardines, how do you expect them to offer that?

If you want luxury and comfort, you either fly first class or drive. If you can't afford first class, and you're going overseas, too bad.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Business class. Available on nearly every international flight outside NA. About half the cost of First but nearly as nice.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

But it's not 50-75 bucks ;)

Bus class can still be pretty pricey though. I'd rather suffer for a bit in economy and save the money to spend on vacation.

10. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Airlines are not making money off coach seats. Airlines are businesses, the main goal of a business is to turn a profit. Since people have demanded more and more for less and less, they have to nickel and dime you to break goddamn even. (This isn't just to jknight, this is to everyone): When you fly, don't bitch about the prices: you're basically paying for the cost to get you on the aircraft and fly you there. Consider the fact that the costs to the airline of flying are incredibly expensive and rising. Paying the $5 for that much enjoyed vat of wine, accepting that $100 business-class upgrade offer if you can, that basically allows the airline to earn it's slim profits. But, people demand more for cheaper. I know I probably sound like the CEO of American Airlines after a few drinks, but it's been irritating me because i've heard a lot of complaining about airline ticket prices with much ignorance.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How does Southwest usually have cheaper fares, not nickle and dime you to death, have pricey business and first class cabins and still turn a profit? It sounds like bad management at the legacy carriers.

12. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Oh God! I cannot stand people who stink. I mean, c'mon!!! And you REALLY gotta work on being so smelly that others are sickened by it. Sure, we've all missed a shower here and there on a weekend, but to get to that point... one would have to totally work at it. UGH!!!!:eek:

13. Love macrumors 68000

Love

A good source of their profits is the fact they utilize a fleet of all of the same aircraft, and they do not fly out of the country. They won't be able to fly anything more than short-haul flights across the USA.

14. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Part of it is bad management by legacy carriers. Southwest uses lots of different techniques to lower their costs. They fly into smaller airports that have lesser fees, I believe they have fewer routes than airlines, and they have made good deals on fuel costs. Back a couple of years ago when fuel prices shot up, I remember reading that they had locked in fuel prices earlier at a much lower price. I believe (not 100% certain on this one) that they are also non-union. So, lots of little things that add up.

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Yes, its quite a bit more than cattle but not nearly as bad as First.

I have been on some intl flights that have premium economy and it is about $100 a ticket more and usually worth it. The flights are often just premium economy and cattle so you get to the front of the plane, a little extra pampering and slightly larger seats.

16. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

For a long time it was their fuel contracts. They were able to get fuel at a fraction of what everyone else was paying.

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

The SWA pilot group has their own union (as opposed to a larger multi-carrier union such as ALPA).

Incidentally they're probably one of the happiest pilot groups in the industry.

18. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Finally!

Well, it was about time to penalise fat smellies...

They can cost the industry milions and millions of dollars in additional fuel cost and administration. I saw a few extremely fat people in the US, those people should just buy two seats (I think Kevin Smith is usually flying with an extra seat).

There are not many fat and smelly people on Virgin, Emirates, Singapore and Swiss flights. In fact, on these flights the stewardesses are often SO HOT!!!

By far, the worst experience that I've had was with Delta in the US. They beat the impotent staff at Charles de Gaulle in Paris. What a bunch of arrogant cows! I wish that they get treated like how they treat people!

19. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

On the too fat to fly thing kevin smith himself confirmed it I feel kinda bad for him, as far as too stanky to fly people get kicked out of public places all the time for smelling like rotten salmon ass. More people should consider taking a shower now and then--you ever walk through a grocery store and some old lady passes you smelling like a dead body covered in fancy toilet water or donkey musk perfume gagging the holy living hell out of the rest of us? Even drunks at the bar smell far better.

20. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

+1

Totally pricey - but I rarely pay for a business class ticket. I always use my CIBC Aeroplan card for everything including my business, and I use the Aeroplan points to go business class to Asia and Europe all the time.

CIBC Aeroplan is the best card in my humble opinion - better than AirMiles. Air Canada has great business class to Asia - really excellent.

Just thought I'd share that travel tip with everyone - use CIBC Visa

As for "mr stinky" - Kudo's to the flight crew who had the courage to stand up and do the embarrassing deed of informing that guy that he had to deplane and get some soap. Hard to break the news to another human being like that. That could be really offensive on those small planes - packed like sardines. I guess they have to do it.

21. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Yup. Thats what I want. A 50-75 premium on top of coach to have a bigger seat, with food and drinks. But not a special section, more like coach tickets are all upgraded with these features and an extra cost. I would fly this airline all the time.

Its not a fraction of the cost, it would be 50-75 more. Already business class is offered overseas, but here in the states they need something that isn't as ridiculously priced as first class.

22. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  23. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No idea how things work in the US but you can pay from Premium Economy tickets on a lot of longer flights (say more than 2-3 hours) in Europe. You get a slightly wider seat with a better seat pitch. Only full-price airlines offer these and they offer free food (although it's often just a sandwich) and drinks anyway.

Edit: Virgin for example. I've flown this London to Tokyo and it was certainly better than normal economy. Still nothing close to business class though.

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Flying is miserable enough without enduring some stankin' ass passenger for hours in a tightly confined space. I have absolutely no trouble with hygiene and it shouldn't be too much to expect other people to make these minimal efforts. So good, if you smell, damn right you should be asked to get off the plane. This should include people who think it's ok to douse themselves in perfume/cologne. It's just rude.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Long haul budget airlines do exist too (route map) ;).

Agreed.