Tool's Music Will Be Available to Stream on Apple Music and Spotify From This Friday

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Rock band Tool this week announced that it will be putting its back catalog of albums on all streaming platforms beginning this Friday, August 2 (via Pitchfork). This is believed to include Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon Prime Music, and more.

This also means that the band's albums will be available to purchase on the iTunes Music Store and other digital music stores. In the announcement tweet, the band shared a video that included previous albums like Lateralus and Opiate, along with an image of the August 2 streaming date.

Tool also announced the name of its next album, Fear Inoculum, which will release on August 30.

This Friday, Aug 2nd, the Tool catalog goes up on all digital and streaming formats. High five. #tool2019 pic.twitter.com/VkxHhv765x - TOOL effing TOOL (@Tool) July 29, 2019

Tool is one of the latest bands to finally allow its music to be available on streaming platforms. Over the years, streaming platforms like Apple Music have gained music from The Beatles and Def Leppard, after years of users being unable to stream their music.

Article Link: Tool's Music Will Be Available to Stream on Apple Music and Spotify From This Friday

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
I wrote them off years ago simply because of this. Bunch of pompous asses that realized they missed the boat early on and holding out for whatever reason was costing them money.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
I’m actually very surprised they finally did this. I’m not too familiar with their music but I know they’re very anti-digital. Their music isn’t even on iTunes.

- rob -

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I had not realized Tool was holding out like that. I agree it probably has to do with money. Could be also they aren’t picking up potential new fans because young people do not buy physical media anymore.

Are there any other big bands holding out like this still?

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Ah it's one of the obscure American "Metal" bands. Strange that so few American bands get nice metal together while Europe is full of great bands.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I had not realized Tool was holding out like that. I agree it probably has to do with money. Could be also they aren’t picking up potential new fans because young people do not buy physical media anymore.

Are there any other big bands holding out like this still?
We can only speculate, but MJK's other activities such as wine making, his other bands Puscifer and A Perfect Circle as well as his interest in Jiu-Jitsu no doubt take up a lot of his time. I believe he also mentioned to Joe Rogan on a previous podcast (not yesterday's) that Tool goes through a long arduous process of creation for their albums. Plus, well, life happens to us all.

The people on r/toolband have been losing their minds this summer in anticipation and it's been a riot to watch.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Ah it's one of the obscure American "Metal" bands. Strange that so few American bands get nice metal together while Europe is full of great bands.

I'm not a fan, but Tool is far, far from obscure.

America does have a healthy scene of bands who "get nice metal together" as well.

Reactions: decypher44