Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I just ordered a Samsung 830 BB/WW ssd for my mbp 15".

I need to buy tools for it, and want high quality tools since I will probably do this a lot. I read a thread and it said Wiha was high quality, but where is the best place to buy? ( Preferably amazon since I have prime :D) Also, specific tools needed? ( I don't really think i'll need an antistatic wrist strap lol )

Also, since it's a BB/WW, i need to have a notebook upgrade kit. Is there a place where everyone gets it ? ( software + hardware).

Thanks guys =)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I just ordered a Samsung 830 BB/WW ssd for my mbp 15".

I need to buy tools for it, and want high quality tools since I will probably do this a lot. I read a thread and it said Wiha was high quality, but where is the best place to buy? ( Preferably amazon since I have prime :D) Also, specific tools needed? ( I don't really think i'll need an antistatic wrist strap lol )

Also, since it's a BB/WW, i need to have a notebook upgrade kit. Is there a place where everyone gets it ? ( software + hardware).

Thanks guys =)

All you need is a Phillips 00 driver to remove the case screws. Then a Torx T6 driver to remove the mounting screws from the drive. If you are just doing this one time, a cheap kit is fine, but if you plan to do it often, you will want good quality tools like Wiha that have a hardened metal tip so the heads of the screws don't get rounded off.

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
All you need is a Phillips 00 driver to remove the case screws. Then a Torx T6 driver to remove the mounting screws from the drive. If you are just doing this one time, a cheap kit is fine, but if you plan to do it often, you will want good quality tools like Wiha that have a hardened metal tip so the heads of the screws don't get rounded off.

For the T6, E-Flite vs Wiha?

Also, what's the difference between Wiha 26194 and Wiha 96706?

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I ordered this set from Amazon and it worked great when I installed my SSD.

verrryyyyy very tempting.

If I were to buy a 00 Phillips and a Torx T6 seperately.. it'd only be 10 dollars less. Hm..

The highest recommended review seems very enthusiastic about it, do you feel the same way ?

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
verrryyyyy very tempting.

If I were to buy a 00 Phillips and a Torx T6 seperately.. it'd only be 10 dollars less. Hm..

The highest recommended review seems very enthusiastic about it, do you feel the same way ?

I've only used it for the SSD so far, but it did the job with no issues. The bits didn't slip on the screwheads at all. My only very small complaint is that the bits can be a little hard to remove from the storage collar, but at least you're not going to lose them!

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I've only used it for the SSD so far, but it did the job with no issues. The bits didn't slip on the screwheads at all. My only very small complaint is that the bits can be a little hard to remove from the storage collar, but at least you're not going to lose them!

haha thats good to hear.

General question for all:

Where can I buy the notebook upgrade kit? and what software would I need? (I've heard something about TRIM ? )

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Where can I buy the notebook upgrade kit? and what software would I need? (I've heard something about TRIM ? )

I see you are looking at the Samsung 830... they sell a 830 that includes a USB to SATA cable that you can use to transfer your data. Amazon has it here.

You can use the free 30 day trial of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new.

Newer drives like the Samsung 830 have pretty good built in garbage collection, so even if you do not use the TRIM hack... no harm will come to the drive. Lots of opinions on this issue. If you search for threads with "do I need TRIM" you will find a ton of discussion on it.

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I see you are looking at the Samsung 830... they sell a 830 that includes a USB to SATA cable that you can use to transfer your data. Amazon has it here.

You can use the free 30 day trial of Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new.

Newer drives like the Samsung 830 have pretty good built in garbage collection, so even if you do not use the TRIM hack... no harm will come to the drive. Lots of opinions on this issue. If you search for threads with "do I need TRIM" you will find a ton of discussion on it.

I already have the 830 BB/WW so that isnt an option :(

Just looking to buy these things individually, and i've read that you need a spacer, while others say i dont and can just put it in...

So if i were to make a list of what I need to install :

1) USB to SATA cable
2) Phillips 00 and Torx T6

would that be all ?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I already have the 830 BB/WW so that isnt an option :(

Just looking to buy these things individually, and i've read that you need a spacer, while others say i dont and can just put it in...

So if i were to make a list of what I need to install :

1) USB to SATA cable
2) Phillips 00 and Torx T6

would that be all ?

You don't need the spacer. In a MBP the drive is screwed in place, so it doesn't matter if there is a little space above it. I bought my tools at home depot for $12 total.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100087664/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100074336/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
I didn't use one. I just made sure my Time Machine backup was up to date, created a bootable Mountain Lion USB drive, then reinstalled OSX and restored my data from the backup.

Unsure about whether I should install the OSX onto my SSD, especially since I have only 128 gbs in the SSD.

This may be a dumb question.. but if i'm installing the ssd into my macbook pro, is the drive i'm taking out the one that has everything on it right now? Not sure how to find out.. this is the 2012 MBP 15" .

My suitemate said that TRIM is automatically enabled for SSDs. Is this true ?

Nyvar

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
is the drive i'm taking out the one that has everything on it right now?

That would be a yes.

My suitemate said that TRIM is automatically enabled for SSDs. Is this true ?

TRIM is enabled on SSDs installed by Apple. Your 830 will not have trim enabled. When I swapped in a 830 I enabled it, not because I felt it was necessary, but to see if I could.

I'm willing to bet once you start you'll find it much easier to accomplish than you think it will be.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hm. Whered you buy your usb to sata? ( the usb to sata is all i need? )

Something like this would do the trick.

You would want to have the OS on the SSD.

When you restore for the Mac, will it restore installed applications like Mac Office? Or just data files?

If you do a full restore from Time Machine, it will bring over all apps and data. Some apps will require you to reenter the registration info though. MS apps seems to be fussy about this.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
When you restore for the Mac, will it restore installed applications like Mac Office? Or just data files?

As weasleboy said, if you restore from a backup, everything you've backed up should copy over.

If you just install the OS, the computer will basically be in the same state as it was when you bought it.

----------

Unsure about whether I should install the OSX onto my SSD, especially since I have only 128 gbs in the SSD.

You won't see much in the way of a performance increase if you DON'T install OSX on the SSD. Additionally, what drive would you be running your OS from? You're not putting the old drive into your optical bay, you HAVE to install OSX, you'll have a hard time running your computer without it.

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
As weasleboy said, if you restore from a backup, everything you've backed up should copy over.

If you just install the OS, the computer will basically be in the same state as it was when you bought it.

----------

You won't see much in the way of a performance increase if you DON'T install OSX on the SSD. Additionally, what drive would you be running your OS from? You're not putting the old drive into your optical bay, you HAVE to install OSX, you'll have a hard time running your computer without it.

hmm.. in that case, I'd need to move all files over, but wouldnt my SSD get filled up super fast ? :<

I use bootcamp to game.. confused on what my plan is now. and partitioning a 128 gbs ssd will be devastatinggg.

Upgrading to the ssd doesn't seem so great after all zzzzzzz. So little space for me.. or am I overlooking something?

Opinions?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
hmm.. in that case, I'd need to move all files over, but wouldnt my SSD get filled up super fast ? :<

I use bootcamp to game.. confused on what my plan is now. and partitioning a 128 gbs ssd will be devastatinggg.

Upgrading to the ssd doesn't seem so great after all zzzzzzz. So little space for me.. or am I overlooking something?

Opinions?

Buy a larger SSD.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
yeah. Is there a way to use two ssds? or have a hdd and ssd ? like hdd for OSX and ssd for win 7 ?

You can if you remove your optical drive and install a second drive using a bracket. Most people install their OS and their applications on the SSD to get the full benefit of the speed, and put their media on the second HDD.

itsderpxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
You can if you remove your optical drive and install a second drive using a bracket. Most people install their OS and their applications on the SSD to get the full benefit of the speed, and put their media on the second HDD.

hm. confused, Since everything is in my hdd right now, can't I use both? like the ssd for OSX and win 7, while the hdd is for files and such?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.