Top 10 Apple TV Remote Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Guides, How Tos and Reviews' started by MacRumors, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When Apple released the fourth-generation Apple TV in 2015, it also included a new Siri Remote with the set-top box (although in some regions Apple kept the original name "Apple TV Remote" due to Siri not working in those territories).

The redesigned remote features dual microphones for Siri support as well as a glass touch surface for navigating the tvOS interface by swiping, tapping, and scrubbing to fast forward/rewind content. The remote also has a Menu button, a Home button (with a TV icon on it), a Siri button, a Play/Pause button, and a Volume Up/Down button.

With the release of the Apple TV 4K in 2017, Apple tweaked the remote design to add a raised white ring around the Menu button, making it easier to identify the correct orientation of the remote by both touch and feel. The buttons and operation of the remote, however, remained unchanged, and the revised remote is also included with new units of the fourth-generation Apple TV.

In this guide, we've collected 10 of our favorite tips for controlling features of tvOS using the Apple TV Remote included with the fourth generation Apple TV and the latest fifth-generation Apple TV 4K. Keep reading and you might well discover a new trick or two.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: Top 10 Apple TV Remote Tips and Tricks

2. jeblis macrumors regular

“By both touch and feel”

Apple really are miracle workers.

3. Mike MA, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2018

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Very interesting read and collection. The majority of those were not known to me I have to admit. Appreciate it.

4. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I didn't know the letter case switching shortcut button and the quick correction method. Everything seems to be hidden and oversimplified.

Anyway I exclusively use the iOS 11 Control Centre on my iPhone to enter text.

5. huffhuff macrumors member

I use AirPods quite a bit on my Apple TV (along with all my other devices - seriously, I use my AirPods daily, lots). However, even with all other devices locked, removing the AirPods from the case does not always connect them to the Apple TV automatically. I then have to go through the click-intensive route of connecting them via the Settings menu.

Does anybody know if a sure-fire way of getting them connected without having to jump through all these hoops? It would be nice if this bit (which is the only tip from above I didn't know about) helped… But i'm not at home to test (and presumably, it wouldn't show up as not yet connected)

6. Mefisto macrumors 6502a

Mefisto

I like these kinds of articles. Most of the stuff above I already knew, but there were a few nuggets of really useful, new info as well! Thanks.

7. heimo macrumors 6502

The restart shortcut and the backspace-thingy will be useful. I probably use 3-4 of these already. Nice article, very informative!

8. Botanique macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    These suggestions are helpful - but the fact remains that this is the worst remote I have ever had to deal with. There is a reason my Apple TV sits unloved and unused - the idiotic and frustrating remote. Swipe to change a setting....nothing happens, swipe again - the selection moves five steps across the screen....swipe once more....no movement. Here's a thought....have a look at the Amazon Fire TV remote....simple, functional, it works and I don't need to load an app on my phone as a work around for poor design.

9. mroffbeat macrumors member

mroffbeat

Is there a tip for not losing the damn thing in bed? Can’t find black things in the dark.

10. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

11. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I found most of these out by accident right after upgrading from my 3rd gen to the 4K model. I love the remote, and TVOS.
    I don’t lose mine, but constantly pick it up and have it aimed the wrong way. After two months I’m still getting use to holding the remote without looking at it.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I think I’ve outlived my ability to use new technology when I try to use this danged thing. Even my husband has trouble with it.

I am to the point now that I can’t use the tv in the family room at all by myself since we got the new Apple TV. I’m forever turning on something by accident and can’t navigate anything. I can’t tell any of the other remotes apart anymore and the Apple one looks like it was meant for telepathic, telekinetic aliens.

13. iamarmor macrumors newbie

Tap twice on the main button to quickly see the time of day your video will end rather than remaining time.

Tap three times to toggle subtitles.

These work in most apps I use. Not all.

14. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

Thanks for this article. I’m the sort who reads user guides for entertainment, but didn’t know about a couple of these.

Now that I’m watching OTA using Channels (with a network tv tuner), the only remote I need is the ATV remote.

15. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

I hate the remote I use the old aluminum Apple remote it works a lot better I can fast forward and reverse easier with the older remote

16. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Tap during video playback to get the clock time for video end.

17. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

I got a white silicone case from Amazon for about $7. It's now far easier to find (and to hold) -- highly recommended!

18. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

You can buy some fancy colorful case for your TV remote on, for example, AliExpress ; )
    There are also some colorful on AliExpress.

19. praterkeith macrumors 6502

praterkeith

I use a Harmony 650 remote. I really like the Apple TV remote and want to use it, but it won’t turn my sound bar on or off. It’ll control the sound and turn my TV on and off, but not the sound bar.

20. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It's a very touchy-feely company.

Some good tips, thanks. I thought holding down the Home button would take you back to the main menu. I'll have to check that out.

21. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502a

CharlesShaw

Thanks. Never realized they exist. Just ordered a bright green one.

22. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Dumb question: Which button is the "Home" button on the Siri Remote?

23. BrennanWDavis macrumors member

BrennanWDavis

Yeah, just use the Remote app on your iPhone.

24. 98 others macrumors newbie

98 others

Thanks for these tips.

I wish there was a way to "lock" it. My toddler LOVES rearranging apps, turning on subtitles, taking us to the home screen.

25. zantafio macrumors regular