Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Interesting. Leads me to the question what happened at @Scepticalscribe 's around January '15..

I for one am always glad not to be found on any of those graphs. :D
Quality over quantity. ;)

In a bizarre way, the personal and professional dimensions of my life intersected.

One of the consequences was more frequent posting.

As @mobilehaathi surmises - correctly - my tour of duty on an assignment, where I had spent the best part of the previous two years - came to an end.

And personal stuff, - mostly to do with my mother's declining health and advancing dementia - which meant that I spent most of the subsequent two years - with the exception of a few months - and weeks - at home, meant I could post more often. A lot more often.

Hmm, probably off-assignment.

Exactly.

Possible.

Or she saw DocQ's 'Top 50 Posters Extrapolated, January 2015' and got ambitious.

Congrats! :D

Thanks.

But, no, not quite.

I am surprised to find myself where I am now. This is not something I had ever expected to happen.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
wow, all those I am familiar with on the list have <1/day rates these days. It truly is a changing of the guard

Real life, and related matters.

I'd imagine that if I became otherwise occupied for a few years, - or, even a year or so, - and returned, there would have been an utter transformation.

And it is not just some of the old timers posting a lot less, due to the requirements of "real life", - such as jobs, families, other activities.

Some of the really prolific old-timers are no longer members of the forums - if they have been banned, for example, I doubt that they would show up on any of these statistics.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another sad but true fact is not all the older members may still be with us.
If you passed away your certainly going to post less.
Morbid I know but sadly probably true. Not everyone on here is a young whipper snapper .

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Another sad but true fact is not all the older members may still be with us.
If you passed away your certainly going to post less.
Morbid I know but sadly probably true. Not everyone on here is a young whipper snapper .

Hm, yes, possibly:

However, some of the 'older' members whom I recall as having been quite prolific posters were banned, and one or two of the others subsequently left of their own accord.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It happens. Life changes. They may have even gone over to the dark side and gone Windows/Android! :eek:

The ultimate rejection.........

Hm.

But do you think that is likely from those who have posted a lot, here?

The very act of prolific posting on these fora would seem to suggest an interest in All Things (or in Many Things) Apple and some sort of attachment (albeit with gritted teeth) to the brand, not to mention, to the forum.

Something tell me that Real Life, (or banning), or other reasons (you mentioned the Ultimate Reason, the one from which there is no return - which could also rank as a distinct possibility), might be more pressing reasons for a poster's departure, than a Move To The Dark Side.

Reactions: LizKat

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The ultimate rejection.........

Hm.

But do you think that is likely from those who have posted a lot, here?

The very act of prolific posting on these fora would seem to suggest an interest in All Things (or in Many Things) Apple and some sort of attachment (albeit with gritted teeth) to the brand, not to mention, to the forum.

Something tell me that Real Life, (or banning), or other reasons (you mentioned the Ultimate Reason, the one from which there is no return - which could also rank as a distinct possibility), might be more pressing reasons for a poster's departure, than a Move To The Dark Side.
A relationship would probably be the number 1 reason.
Or joining another community or FB etc.
Or maybe a hobby.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I still spend an inordinate amount of time here, even tho life is much busier than in the past for me
However, I don't post near as much as I used to
Why?
I don't fit the demographic here near as much as I did back in the day
I read up on the latest tech, but I don't often engage in discussions with other posters
Most of the time I just don't see the point
Typical MR poster today doesn't want to discuss anything
They want to tell you their opinion and all the reasons why you are wrong and suck
Their view, opinion, workflow, preferences are always the gold standard and anything else is mindless Apple ass-kissing
There are still a few posters who are fair, balanced and centered
But their voice is usually drowned out by the mob with the torches and pitch forks who want to storm Apple's gates and lynch TC
Whether it is disappointment with the iPhone, MBP, Mac Pro, Apple Watch, macOS, the common theme is whiny, entitled, self-centered cry babies
I mean really, how many "Apple has lost its way" threads do we need?
I usually type up a lot of posts and hit the delete button instead of send
Keeps me from getting banned (so far) :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A relationship would probably be the number 1 reason.
Or joining another community or FB etc.
Or maybe a hobby.

Very probably, agreed.

A relationship, yes, - that'll take up more of your time and life, I daresay, even in the social media age, real relationships take time - and priority; meanwhile, although this community can serve to fill needs in the lives of some of us, some of those needs that may well change once the personal relationships in one's life change.

Other reasons can include heading away to study, - serious study can be very time consuming - or, possibly, a job change, or a promotion, or a location change as part of a job change. Perhaps, taking up a hobby, - that involves membership of a community and could also be a reason for altered participation patterns.
[doublepost=1484406142][/doublepost]
I still spend an inordinate amount of time here, even tho life is much busier than in the past for me
Why?
I read up on the latest tech, but I don't often engage in discussions with other posters
They want to tell you their opinion and all the reasons why you are wrong and suck
Their view, opinion, workflow, preferences are always the gold standard and anything else is mindless Apple ass-kissing
But their voice is usually drowned out by the mob with the torches and pitch forks who want to storm Apple's gates and lynch TC
Whether it is disappointment with the iPhone, MBP, Mac Pro, Apple Watch, macOS, the common theme is whiny, entitled, self-centered cry babies

Very good post.

Ah, you have done that, too?

I thought I was the only person who culled posts and strangled remarks prior to hitting the "send" button.

That is very funny.

Reactions: LizKat

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Why?
Same here re the deleting posts.

I tend to post mostly in the Photography, community and private sub forums were things are reasonabley civilised.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Same here re the deleting posts.

I tend to post mostly in the Photography, community and private sub forums were things are reasonabley civilised.

In the civilised places, is it necessary to delete posts?

I would have thought that more confined to the madness of the iPhone fora, and - of course - some of the stuff that one finds in PRSI, much of which - alas - could not be dignified with the noun 'discussion'.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

How funny is this and sadly how true is this. "Turn the page, it isn't worth it" I find myself saying more and more.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Why?
This resonates with me. I am more apt to respond to those I have known a long time. There is just too much "noise" on this site

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Chart #4: Currently Active Top 50 Posters

These users have posted in the last 6 months.

Computed by Doctor Q in January 2017

Code:
                      Cur     Last 6
Rank  Active Top 50   Posts   Months
----  --------------- ------  ------
 1    maflynn         51,577   4,270
 2    GGJstudios      43,859      26
 3    Applejuiced     37,721   1,797
 4    GoCubsGo        35,719      42
 5    C DM            34,497   6,696
 6    Doctor Q        33,854     128
 7    mkrishnan       29,639       1
 8    Eidorian        29,050      32
 9    rdowns          27,258      58
10    Abstract        24,283       2
11    MRU             23,911   1,460
12    SandboxGeneral  22,996   1,285
13    jsw             22,810      12
14    Weaselboy       22,708   1,479
15    Hellhammer      22,076     126
16    Blue Velvet     21,641       3
17    Dagless         21,278     298
18    Scepticalscribe 21,107   4,247
19    alphaod         21,046      93
20    MacNut          19,839     212
21    balamw          18,892     231
22    Peace           18,766     219
23    Intell          18,449     104
24    MacDawg         18,263     127
25    Nermal          17,806     218
26    dukebound85     17,693      76
27    IJ Reilly       16,757     348
28    -aggie-         16,711       1
29    samcraig        16,404     376
30    Rogifan         16,401     690
31    WildCowboy      16,152     110
32    ucfgrad93       16,019     443
33    dejo            15,727       2
34    AidenShaw       15,490     542
35    kdarling        15,331     837
36    twoodcc         15,283      24
37    gnasher729      15,151     429
38    jav6454         15,147     239
39    r.j.s           14,921      15
40    Sun Baked       14,840       6
41    yg17            14,785      70
42    Apple fanboy    14,770   2,448
43    OllyW           14,755     763
44    eyoungren       14,366   1,429
45    arn             13,674      41
46    Consultant      13,271       4
47    Night Spring    13,008     943
48    KPOM            12,987     741
49    JayLenochiniMac 12,819   1,285
50    nagromme        12,546     135

Columns:
Rank = Position in order by post count, 1 (highest) to 50.
Active Top 50 = members with the 50 currently highest post counts among those who have posted in the last 6 months.
Cur Posts = # of posts by that member.
Last 6 Months = # of posts from July 2016 to January 2017.​

Observations

Many of you don't recognize forum members in Chart #1 because they are no longer active. This chart is limited to active users, so you're more likely to recognize the names. However, some of these users are barely active, with only a few posts in the last 6 months.

This list didn't change much from 6 months ago. Only 4 members joined the list and only 4 members left the list. Let's look at the reasons for the arrivals:
  1. jsw joined the list. He used to be quite active, but stopped posting from November 2015 to April 2016. He made a single post in the first half of 2016, but didn't make the Active Top 50 list because of a technical quirk: Due to an occasional thread being deleted, 6 of his past posts disappeared from the forums, so his net post count actually dropped over that period. Real people would consider him active due to his 1 post in May 2016, but my Top Poster machinery considers a member inactive if their post count drops. Score one for people over machines. With a dozen posts in the last 6 months, jsw is back on the Active Top 50 list.

2. The same thing happened to Blue Velvet, who wasn't on the list 6 months ago but is on the list this time. She made 4 posts in the first half of 2016, but lost 5, for a net post count loss of 1, so she was excluded last time. With 3 counted posts in the second half of 2016 (plus a number of posts in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum that don't contribute to post count) she's back on the list.

3. jav6454 made no posts in the first half of 2016, then hundreds in the second half, explaining the appearance this time but not last time.

4. r.j.s made no posts in the first half of 2016, then a handful in the second half.
Now let's look at the departures:
  1. ~Shard~ made 5 posts in the first half of 2016, but none in the second, so he's no longer active.

2. Lord Blackadder is active, but with a total post count of 12,439 that wasn't enough to make the list.

3. wrldwzrd89 is active, but with a total post count of 12,017, not enough for the list.

4. Chundles is active, but with a post count of 11,919, not enough for the list.

Post Rate Consistency

I noticed that wrldwzrd89 made exactly 47 posts in the last 6 months (July 2016 to January 2017) and exactly 47 posts in the 6 months before that (January 2016 to July 2016). It was almost three times in a row, since his post count from July 2015 to January 2016 was 44. Missed it by only 3 posts! If there was an award for consistent posting rate among top posters, wrldwzrd89 would win it. Come to think of it, awards are just of matter of announcements, so here we go:

Announcement: wrldwzrd89 wins the official award for consistent posting!

MRU wins second place, with 1,451 posts in the first half of 2016 and 1,460 posts in the second half of 2016, an increase of only 0.62%.

Honorable mention goes to another user I noticed, who has never been near the Top 50 lists. HobeSoundDarryl made 374 posts in the first half of 2016 and another 374 posts in the second half of 2016. Nice work!

If we want to give awards for post rate inconsistency, based on the change in post rate from one 6-month period to the next, then four members are deserving of mention for changing by more than 1000 posts in 6 months:
  1. C DM made 5,455 posts in the first half of 2016, then 6,696 in the second half of 2016, for an increase of 1241 posts per 6 month period.

2. Applejuiced was close behind, making 587 posts in the first half of 2016, then 1,797 in the second half of 2016, for an increase of 1210 posts per 6 month period.

3. Julien's 6 month post count went from 352 to 1,404, an increase of 1052.

4. jamezr dropped by 1073, going from 1,849 posts in 6 months to 776.
Note that Julien and jamezr are not top posters, but perhaps Julien will make the list in the future.
I'll be honest I don't recognize some of the names in this chart.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'll be honest I don't recognize some of the names in this chart.

Neither do I, although I do recognise most of them.

However, in order to appear on that particular list, you need to have had a high post count - which could have been accumulated quite some time ago - and simply posted a few posts one the past few months, so that, while you are listed as 'actively posting', your presence isn't very visible.

There's also a lot more sub forums. So if someone is pretty active in sub forums you never venture into, they are not going to be on your radar.
Fortunately @Doctor Q is omnipresent, so is everywhere and see's us all! ;)

That is true.

There are some sections of the forum where I have never as much as ventured across the threshold......

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Neither do I, although I do recognise most of them.

However, in order to appear on that particular list, you need to have had a high post count - which could have been accumulated quite some time ago - and simply posted a few posts one the past few months, so that, while you are listed as 'actively posting', your presence isn't very visible.

That is true.

There are some sections of the forum where I have never s much as ventured across the threshold......
Judging by your post count not many!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
You may be surprised to hear you have made a total of 37 posts in two of those three forums. :)

Oh, dear.

I'd be surprised if I had visited the Apple TV, though.

And, if I visited anything to do with the Apple Watch, it was probably to wonder what all the fuss was about.

Apple phones, perhaps - as the thought of a SE phone is in the back of my mind. And iPads, well, yes, I had own - two actually - both of which I gave away, one to each sibling.

But such paltry numbers pale in stark contrast with the number of posts I have made in sub-fora - or about stuff - I am actually interested in - such as, books, music, (politics isn't even counted....) and coffee.

Reactions: OllyW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.