Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Could you please add a column comparing 6-mo posts to 6-mo likes? Ie. just divide one up the other, or something similar you feel cool.

Also, +1!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Great job, @chown33, and for countless years before that, terrific job also, @Doctor Q.
I'll take credit for inventing the Top Posters threads, but by automating more of it chown33 has done a better job than I ever did, and provided much more information.

I was surprised that chown33 has kept the "Can mad jew be Stopped?" tradition, but pleased to see it continue. It's important (at least to me) to know that Jaffa Cake will pass mad jew in April 8265. Another event worthy of popcorn spectatorship!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'll take credit for inventing the Top Posters threads, but by automating more of it chown33 has done a better job than I ever did, and provided much more information.

I was surprised that chown33 has kept the "Can mad jew be Stopped?" tradition, but pleased to see it continue. It's important (at least to me) to know that Jaffa Cake will pass mad jew in April 8265. Another event worthy of popcorn spectatorship!
Poor old @mad jew. I wonder if he is aware that he is the benchmark for posters on MR?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Would be nice to see the last 50 posters as well ala Susan Lucci.

As far as I know, there are countless thousands of members who have made no post, or have posted one post; it wouldn't be "the last fifty", it would be the thousands (perhaps tens of thousands) who have made no post, one post, or between one and five posts.

While I have no idea of the exact numbers involved, I do seem to recall seeing a pie chart which set out the percentages of members at each of the "ranks", and, subdivided within that, the percentage of members who had never posted, or had made one post. If memory serves, they comprised a surprisingly large percentage of the overall membership of the entire forum.

Reactions: eyoungren

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
As far as I know, there are countless thousands of members who have made no post, or have posted one post...

Here you go:

Code:
Posts        Members        Members        Percentage    Percentage
        (Jan 2012)    (Feb 2014)    (Jan 2012)    (Feb 2014)
----        ----------    ----------    ----------    ----------
0        193741        251348        33.95%        33.82%
1        142925        190620        25.05%        25.65%
2        58572        76194        10.26%        10.25%
3        31477        40825        5.52%        5.49%
4        20032        25786        3.51%        3.47%
5        14209        18121        2.49%        2.44%
6 - 10        34773        44761        6.09%        6.02%
11 - 30        34729        44020        6.09%        5.92%

Banned members are excluded from these counts.

Here is a 2014 post with some of those stats.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
While I have no idea of the exact numbers involved, I do seem to recall seeing a pie chart which set out the percentages of members at each of the "ranks", and, subdivided within that, the percentage of members who had never posted, or had made one post. If memory serves, they comprised a surprisingly large percentage of the overall membership of the entire forum.
Here's a current chart. As we've noted before, only a small fraction of forum members have high post counts.

2020-01 number of users by post count.png

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Never did understand why people join but don’t post. Understand the one post brigade. Obviously looking for a question to be answered.

Perhaps the question was asked and answered before they had time to post?

Perhaps they had to psych themselves up to post?

This is the first online forum I ever joined, and I would never have contemplated joining had I not purchased an Apple computer - a MBP - for myself as a belated birthday present earlier that year, having had Windows machines before that, and, as a consequence, I had some questions that I wished to ask about Apple computers.

I will admit that before posting, I wasn't sure how my complete ignorance of such things would be regarded, whether my queries would be answered or derided, and whether it was a good idea to join the forum in the first place, rather than lurking, in the hope that someone else would ask the questions I wished answered, and that they would be answered without my needing to ask them under my own name, nom-de-plume that it was.

As against that, I did wish to obtain answers about my Apple MBP, and this seemed a good place to try, and I was also somewhat curious about the online world, as clearly this was going to comprise a considerable amount of interaction and engagement and communication over the coming decades.

Well, I asked my question(s) and was delighted, surprised and very pleased that complete strangers took time out of their lives to put me right, explain things to me, and ensure that I understood the stuff about my Apple computer that was bothering me.

And so, as I looked what I saw, (and experienced), I stayed, stayed to such an extent, that I became a pretty prolific poster, not something I would ever have envisaged happening when I first joined this forum.

Reactions: robogobo

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Perhaps the question was asked and answered before they had time to post?

Perhaps they had to psych themselves up to post?

This is the first online forum I ever joined, and I would never have contemplated joining had I not purchased an Apple computer - a MBP - for myself as a belated birthday present earlier that year, having had Windows machines before that, and, as a consequence, I had some questions that I wished to ask about Apple computers.

I will admit that before posting, I wasn't sure how my complete ignorance of such things would be regarded, whether my queries would be answered or derided, and whether it was a good idea to join the forum in the first place, rather than lurking, in the hope that someone else would ask the questions I wished answered, and that they would be answered without my needing to ask them under my own name, nom-de-plume that it was.

As against that, I did wish to obtain answers about my Apple MBP, and this seemed a good place to try, and I was also somewhat curious about the online world, as clearly this was going to comprise a considerable amount of interaction and engagement and communication over the coming decades.

Well, I asked my question(s) and was delighted, surprised and very pleased that complete strangers took time out of their lives to put me right, explain things to me, and ensure that I understood the stuff about my Apple computer that was bothering me.

And so, as I looked what I saw, (and experienced), I stayed, stayed to such an extent, that I became a pretty prolific poster, not something I would ever have envisaged happening when I first joined this forum.
I lurked and read threads for quite awhile before I joined. At the time I was contemplating purchasing my first smartphone.
I found the site to be not only informative but warm and friendly.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Never did understand why people join but don’t post. Understand the one post brigade. Obviously looking for a question to be answered.
I cannot speak for the entirety of MacRumors, but the PowerPC section which I frequent most and was my reason for registering, sees it's fair share of newbies who post once or twice and never again.

A lot of the time it's people who are full of themselves who register to tell us all what's what and how we should do things. Their distinct lack of experience in the topics they pontificate on is immediately apparent and so they go off and don't post again.

Other times it's people necroing dead threads because of a Google search. Those don't usually stick around.

I have also seen various cases of the following: users who register because they wanted to make one comment to a user about how a thread helped them, users who register because they were brought in from somewhere else and usually only engage in one thread, or those who register only to post about some other external place or project.

Rarely now, we have the people who come from the Intel Mac forum to advise all of us PowerPC users that we are stupid to use obsolete Macs and should upgrade. I say rarely because it used to be a common occurrence.

Last but not least are the confused. They post current Intel Mac questions in the PowerPC Mac forum and do not return.

What I've experienced anyway.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I think you entered the forum at a time of transition. Us PowerPC forum users can tell you that by 2011-12 or so the Intel Mac forums were not so friendly - if you used a Mac that was anything more than a year old. It's one reason we have our own forum. You can only tell people so many times that the solution to their problem is to buy a new (modern) Mac before those people get the point and move on.

As a courtesy, and because most of us own early Intel Macs now, we generally support questions about Intel Macs in the 2006-2010 years. The era of Intel Macs that we would be ridiculed for having in the current Intel Mac forum.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think you entered the forum at a time of transition. Us PowerPC forums users can tell you that by 2011-12 or so the Intel Mac forums were not so friendly - if you used a Mac that was anything more than a year old. It's one reason we have our own forum. You can only tell people so many times that the solution to their problem is to buy a new (modern) Mac before those people get the point and move on.

As a courtesy, and because most of us own early Intel Macs now, we generally support questions about Intel Macs in the 2006-2010 years. The era of Intel Macs that would be ridiculed for having in the current Intel Mac forum.

Actually, at the moment, now that you mention it, the computer I am using (my trusty 11" CTO MBA) is all of six years old.....

I would imagine that an upgrade might be in store over the coming year or so.

However, I do try to give some of the wilder - and intemperate - areas of the forum a fairly wide berth.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Actually, at the moment, now that you mention it, the computer I am using (my trusty 11" CTO MBA) is all of six years old.....

I would imagine that an upgrade might be in store over the coming year or so.

However, I do try to give some of the wilder - and intemperate - areas of the forum a fairly wide berth.
I am typing this on a 2008 MBP. In my living room where I currently am, are Macs ranging from 1999 to 2006 (not including the aforementioned MBP). I am not counting the 2015 MBP issued to me by work as that's not mine. I did just recently purchase a new (to me) 2009 Mac Mini for $58

A lot of us have these older systems because an upgrade is not economically feasible. Many of the older systems can be had for under $200, most for under $100. So, the suggestion of "Get a new Mac" is ultimately unhelpful.

Therefore, like you, I avoid those sections of MacRumors. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I am typing this on a 2008 MBP. In my living room where I currently am, are Macs ranging from 1999 to 2006 (not including the aforementioned MBP). I am not counting the 2015 MBP issued to me by work as that's not mine. I did just recently purchase a new (to me) 2009 Mac Mini for $58

A lot of us have these older systems because an upgrade is not economically feasible. Many of the older systems can be had for under $200, most for under $100. So, the suggestion of "Get a new Mac" is ultimately unhelpful.

Therefore, like you, I avoid those sections of MacRumors. ;)

To be perfectly honest, if I could obtain a new battery (as the battery on a six year old MBA is a lot less good than that of a new one), and replace the keyboard - which is getting "soft" and "sticky" - i.e. increasingly unresponsive - I would soldier on with this computer as I absolutely love it, the size, the form factor, the weight, the portability, the speed - even now.

When I bought it, it was a CTO - and thus, maxed out, which is how I always buy my computers, so that they will last me for a good while, at least three years (well, six, in the case of my current pride and joy), but three used to be what I asked of computers, not least because it chimed with the coverage provided by AppleCare.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Cool to see I am part of the elite posting crew (more than 1,001 posts). Either there are a lot of people who are overly shy on the internet, or the crew needs to get more involved in real life. I am thinking the problem is the former and not the latter. :cool:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yes, they are absolutely brilliant to read (and I used to compulsively devour them with an avid interest long before I ever become a fixture in them, myself).

Great job, @chown33, and for countless years before that, terrific job also, @Doctor Q.

Agreed. I’m sure I’m not the only one who starts compulsively looking for these stats on January and July 1st.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Joined when I was on the market for my first MacBook Pro.

Went to the Lincoln Park Apple Store in Chicago planning on buying the plastic MacBook with my first tax return. Was convinced by the nice sales person to go with the Pro. No regrets.

I love taking tech with all you fine people. Easily my most active board membership.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.