Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Finally got a chance to look through this, interesting as always. Always surprises me to see someone shoot up out of seemingly nowhere into this list. Does make sense thinking back on the last 6 months of the forum, but it's not always a realization that dawns on me as someone begins to post more. Certainly sometimes I can tell there are people attempting to inflate their post counts.

Reactions: eyoungren

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Some very interesting bar charts could've been visualized using categorical features and it would've been cool to see some time series forecasts for 2021. Some of the most interesting stats such as registration length min/max plus top posts counts by region etc would've been really interesting too. Showing just line charts by week etc is sorta meh.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Some very interesting bar charts are left out and it would've been cool to see some time series forecasts for 2021. Some of the most interesting stats such as registration length min/max plus top posts counts by region etc would've been really interesting. Showing just line charts is sorta meh.
It would be interesting to see such but, putting the current stats together already takes a lot of time. If the process was made automated where we could see the current stats at any time we wanted, seeing extra stats may be more feasible to put together.

chown33

Original poster
Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Some very interesting bar charts could've been visualized using categorical features and it would've been cool to see some time series forecasts for 2021.
I can upload some raw data if you want to make such a forecast. I have weekly cumulative post counts & likes counts, i.e. the post count and likes count every Sunday (well, almost all Sundays). Also semi-annual on 03 Jan & 03 July.

Some of the most interesting stats such as registration length min/max plus top posts counts by region etc would've been really interesting too.
The registration date is available in the data. I'll see if I can put something together. It won't be immediate, as I have other projects active.

There isn't any data on region. I looked into it, along with other things, in the early days when I took over the stats from @Doctor Q. At the time, I didn't see anything reliable.

The raw data is collected by scraping HTML, and I have to maintain the scrapers because things change over time. The scraped HTML is unprivileged data accessible to any member. The main problems I've seen with trying to get anything about location are its low usage rate and its unreliability. For example, I change my "Location:" on a whim, and it's currently the whimsical: "vertical". And now that I've posted that, I'll probably change it.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Also, looking back at this I got a laugh to see iGary's like stat go up by 2... He left before that feature was even added, IIRC.

As more times go by, some of the older names fall off these lists. It's a shame that so many of these great and vibrant people have left us, and many will never return in any capacity. I used to be buddies with some of them, when I was on this site originally in the mid 2000s. Then the iPhone came out and a shift began to occur. Whole time since I rejoined I keep chasing after that old "sense" but things are quite different. Granted, it has been about 15 years since the times I am recalling, so a new generation has taken their place. I expounded upon this before

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Also, looking back at this I got a laugh to see iGary's like stat go up by 2... He left before that feature was even added, IIRC.

As more times go by, some of the older names fall off these lists. It's a shame that so many of these great and vibrant people have left us, and many will never return in any capacity. I used to be buddies with some of them, when I was on this site originally in the mid 2000s. Then the iPhone came out and a shift began to occur. Whole time since I rejoined I keep chasing after that old "sense" but things are quite different. Granted, it has been about 15 years since the times I am recalling, so a new generation has taken their place. I expounded upon this before
There's another forum that I was part of from 2001 to about 2011 or so. I understand where you're coming from because all those people are long gone from there (and I can't even get back in myself anymore). Fortunately, enough of them I developed ties with through phone numbers and emails.

And I've met great people here as well.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
@chown33 and @Doctor Q

Could a live update post count (minus the graphing of course) be incorporated into the system so that a registered user could see the listed totals of the various members already being charter at any time, via a menu option?
There's already a Most Messages display, but doing more than that would require forum code that I don't think exists. Such code could be written, of course, but it's not the type of development that MacRumors typically sponsors.

Reactions: Apple_Robert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.