Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kc2kth

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
For us long time HP calculator users the lack of RPN makes it a no go. I willingly pay for 3rd party calculators with RPN.

Completely agree. I’ve used an RPN calculator on my iOS devices for many years. I couldn’t get by without one. I still have a couple physical HP RPN calculators on my desk, but even powered off they seem to eat batteries so having one on my phone is indispensable.

Reactions: prothumos

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I noticed once that my dad was using a 3rd party calculator app. I asked him why he wasn't using the stock app, because "it wouldn't have an ad on it".

He stared at me totally confused, and asked "Why would I use a calculator that doesn't add?"

It was like a very nerdy conversation of who's on first...

Reactions: LV426

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
The reason there is no calculator on iPad is they haven’t agreed or figured out how best to design it for a big screen.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
why is the swipe to deleate feature not available on the normal tiping keyboard? that would be really helpful!

Raymonddtduong

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Any news on the Apple's calculator and weather app for the iPad? After 10 years of developer time it should be almost ready by now.
I really don’t understand the logic of these complaints. You use iOS for the superior AppStore, but you insist on these trivial apps (like weather) being natively made by Apple. It’s a really slippery slope; with similar logic you wouldn’t play, say Asphalt unless Apple makes one, you wouldn’t use Google Map unless it is “bought” by Apple somehow. By the same logic, you should uninstall the AppStore app the moment you unbox your new iPhone, and use it as is.

Last edited:

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
Great article, I would love it if these tips worked on Mac OS calculator, particularly in widget mode which resets every time it closes and reopens. Is there a way to copy last result?

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
why is the swipe to deleate feature not available on the normal tiping keyboard? that would be really helpful!
I would think because there’s already a backspace key that’s physically closer usually to your finger than the actual text being typed usually?

the_color_orange

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2014
South, South Texas
That is some calculation! Curious if it means something. BTW... your battery is running low ?
[automerge]1591955631[/automerge]
FWIW, I’m still happy with my HP12C on my iPhone.
Just random math operations so show the complexity. It be great if Apple had some tips or docs that would show all the supported operations. I randomly try math operations I use in coding. Since most math operations are tied to Wolfram Alpha, I think anything that works on their search bar works in spotlight. Don’t know for sure... OHH been checking me emails more frequently since I started WFH. ? battery drains a bit faster on my iPhone X.

Reactions: markgpearse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.