Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I absolutely love my 12.9 inch iPad Pro. I’ve owned one iPad or another since it was introduced and this is the best one by far in terms of hardware.

But WOW is the OS inadequate. The potential of the iPad is really hampered by Apple’s apparent disinterest in focusing on it. Stage Manager for example. What a sad, half baked effort.

So any improvement is welcome, but it seems obvious to me that Apple needs to put a lot more thought and effort into making iPad more functional and intuitive.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
I just really hope they fix the stupid sound out for issuing stage manager, so you can actually choose to use the speakers in your iPad instead of it defaulting to the speakers in the display you’re using. And, of course, it does that even if your display doesn’t actually have speakers. I can’t believe that they were dumb enough to think that was a good idea.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. We have gotten a lot of wonderful features like individual permissions per app thanks to iOS, and then admittedly some very niche/useless ones like Stage Manager.

I am not sure there's much more that can be done with the desktop-based operating systems like macOS and Windows (Well, Microsoft keeps trying and ends up with messes like Windows 11) besides under the hood additions, like the new "game porting" kit in macOS 14. I honestly wish Apple would cool it with the yearly releases in all aspects of software as there just doesn't seem to be much going on lately and that yearly timetable has to use up resources.

Finder alone has tons of room for improvement. I agree there no longer really needs to be a yearly release but there are many system level bug fixes and tweaks macOS still needs. My issue with everything being iOS first is that the last several years they’ve just shoved things that (kinda) work on iOS like notification center instead of coming at it from a desktop first perspective.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I sometimes find my self typing "calc" into the search field and wondering why nothing happens before I remember.

Either there's some calculator-app-developer who's paying big money to Tim's retirement fond or they're just messing with us. How hard can it be to slap a more or less predefined GUI over some basic calculator functions already which are already defined in the programming language? That's something an intern who has never written a line of code before could do in a month. Do they think, people expect something like Mathematica as the standard calculator for an iPad?
I remember them explaining this at one point. They had one made early on, but took it off because they just couldn't do a good enough job of... putting a calculator app together. All the designers and engineers at apple couldn't figure out how to make a simple calculator WHEN THEY"D DONE IT THREE TIMES ALREADY (on mac, iphone and ipad).

I just love having to load a calculator app and find it streaming a bunch of ads over my connection bc they went to a subscription model now. Yes I really want to subscribe to a calculator. I wish this ranked higher on the list of the iPad OS's dysfunction.

Last edited:

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Tim Cook 2015: "the iPad is the clearest expression of our vision of the future of personal computing".

2023: A new lock screen
To be fair, the Mac announcements this year basically boiled down to widgets, a new lock screen, better screensavers and some Safari security improvements.
Not exactly what I’d call paradigm altering.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Multiuser-Support?

This would be a key feature.
For starters it would be nice if typing an app name in search would stop sometimes prioritizing a Files filename or folder (this is in iOS too).

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Currently, if the iPad OS is the manifestation of Apple vision for the future of computers ... well compared to MacOS is really bad. Touch friendly ... yes ... Pen support ... yes ... everything else ... no. Everything else is actually most of it.

Never thought I would say this ... but honestly ... the route of iPad OS makes me actually wonder if the people wanting Touch and Pen support baked on MacOS weren't actually right all along. iPad OS looks more and more like an expensive mess as years pass by.

Apple ... please create a 14" MacOS Tablet ... call it a T-Air

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
I’ve been running the developer betas of iPadOS 17, and I actually think it’s a really nice update! There are lots of smaller additions to the system that haven‘t gotten much attention, such as a brand new ”Multitasking & Gestures” menu in the Settings app, and new right-click/hold-press options for external drives in Files such as “Rename” and “Erase”. The ”Get Info” option also shows the drives capacity, and how much space has been used. It may not be a huge flashy update like iPadOS 16, but there’s a lot of good stuff here that’s being added in the betas that doesn’t really get much attention. There are lots of ”small” quality of life improvements like these that are going to be really nice for daily use.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Stage Manager Updates - When using Stage Manager, windows can be freely resized, repositioned, and placed anywhere on the display. Stage Manager also supports an external camera like the one on the Studio Display for FaceTime and conference calls.
They better make this crystal clear this update is ONLY applicable for external display. I tried to move windows on iPad. Same old crap. Nothing changes.
For some reason I don’t remember hearing about this. So this would make it seem as if windows work like they do on a Mac now?
I believe this is only applicable when connected to external display, not while using iPad as a standalone device.

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA

While iPadOS 17 has adopted almost all of the features that are available in iOS 17, there are also several additions designed specifically for the larger display of the iPad. In our latest video, we've highlighted the best new features available for the iPad in the iPadOS 17 update.

1. Updated Lock Screen - In iPadOS 17, the iPad gets the Lock Screen customization features that came to the iPhone with iOS 16. iPadOS 17 users can choose the look of the date and time, select different iPad-optimized wallpaper options, and have multiple Lock Screens that are tied to Focus modes.
  2. Widgets and Live Activities - Live Activities are now supported on the iPad's Lock Screen, so you can follow along with timers, food orders, sports games, and more. Widgets on the Lock Screen and the Home Screen are interactive, allowing you to turn on the lights, play a song, mark a reminder as complete, and more, directly from the widget with no need to open an app.
  3. Health App - The Health app is available on the iPad in iPadOS 17, showing health data in detail. The app is optimized for the iPad's display with an updated Favorites view and interactive charts for categories like Trends and Highlights.
  4. PDF & Notes Additions - Enhanced Autofill allows the iPad to identify fields in a PDF or scanned document so names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, and other information can be added from contact cards. There's also a new feature for collaborating on PDFs with others directly through the Notes app. The Notes app has been enhanced for PDFs, and PDFs will show up in full width for quick annotations with Apple Pencil.
  5. Stage Manager Updates - When using Stage Manager, windows can be freely resized, repositioned, and placed anywhere on the display. Stage Manager also supports an external camera like the one on the Studio Display for FaceTime and conference calls.
For more on what's new in the iPadOS 17 update, we have a dedicated iPadOS 17 roundup.

Article Link: Top Five New Features in iPadOS 17
Like collaborative PDF Notes with pencil input!.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Finder alone has tons of room for improvement. I agree there no longer really needs to be a yearly release but there are many system level bug fixes and tweaks macOS still needs. My issue with everything being iOS first is that the last several years they’ve just shoved things that (kinda) work on iOS like notification center instead of coming at it from a desktop first perspective.
There are so many EASY areas they could address on iOS and iPadOS that they ignore, not just for one or two annual updates but into perpetuity and at the same time the struggle to make each year's release meaningful.

IT'S BECAUSE they don't REALIZE that some of the items they neglect to improve upon and fix would actually be meaningful!! Apple - it's ok to fix stuff as a "new feature".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.