Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
How about multiuser support? Some of us have kids and I don't want to buy everybody an own iPad. The Mac has multiuser, so why not the iPad for the family?

3xBoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2020
Looks like Apple has not yet found another small developer startup with fresh ideas to buy/destroy/emulate/brag an app from for iPadOS. Just saying...

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
How about multiuser support? Some of us have kids and I don't want to buy everybody an own iPad. The Mac has multiuser, so why not the iPad for the family?

I'm guessing one reason is the iPad's limited storage in some non-Pro models. 64GB would get used up pretty quickly if the device has a number of different users all storing photos, apps, text messages w/attachments, etc.

codeunrwolfpack

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2009
Does anyone know if you need an iPhone now with iOS 17 to use an Apple Watch? My mom has an iPad, but no iPhone, and I am trying to convince her to get an Apple Watch. She doesn't want to buy an iPhone and an Apple Watch, so if she can use her iPad to connect her Apple Watch to I think I can convince her to finally get one. Thanks!

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Does anyone know if you need an iPhone now with iOS 17 to use an Apple Watch? My mom has an iPad, but no iPhone, and I am trying to convince her to get an Apple Watch. She doesn't want to buy an iPhone and an Apple Watch, so if she can use her iPad to connect her Apple Watch to I think I can convince her to finally get one. Thanks!
As far as I know, she would still need an iPhone to use the watch.

Reactions: codeunrwolfpack

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

You need an iPhone to setup and pair with the watch, as the Watch App is not available for the iPad. You can still set it up with someone else's iPhone via Family Sharing, and use the watch independently afterwards, but it has limited capabilities, won't share data with the iPad and, unless you are on WiFi or have cellular service, synch with messages/mail/etc.

You need an iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16 or later to setup the watch.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I'm guessing one reason is the iPad's limited storage in some non-Pro models. 64GB would get used up pretty quickly if the device has a number of different users all storing photos, apps, text messages w/attachments, etc.

It's way cheaper to have one shared family iPad with lots of storage than four or five single iPads with little storage. Heck even an old small and slow iPad with almost no storage would be fine as a control device for your home.

I don't want my small kids to unintentionally mess with my emails or reminders when they just need something to set the lights or see the school timetable in the shared family album.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Wallpaper shuffle is great each time I change lock and unlock. Better on iPad for me as I use blank widgets on iPhone

Reactions: Kal Madda

inequals

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
"United" Kingdom
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......... Wake me up when they add big boy OS stuff.
Another aspect I forgot to bitch and whine about... Apple wouldn't have to add anything, we wouldn't all be caught in the 'fingers crossed the feature I need makes it into this year's shiny OS upgrade' and inevitable disappointment loop that we then try to counteract by convincing ourselves that the admittedly very cool features they did deign to add will 'come in handy' for us at some point...

Apple wouldn't have to be expected to, and inevitably (even with the best will in the world, not that they have that) miss the mark, when it comes to adding features into the OS updates IF THEY JUST OPENED THE DAMN SOFTWARE UP A BIT. There are hundreds of thousands of developers who absolutely would build the nearly all features that people want, excepting the most arcane and obscure nicheware (but even then...)
(buMacOS is based on Posix, which has muti-user built in. It may not be so easy with iOS.
Wait... isn't that the case with iOS as well? and I thought it was more that it's UNIX "based", which makes it POSIX "compliant". I can assure you from my jailbreaking days, poking around inside an iOS device looks more or less exactly the same as macOS inside.

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Wait... isn't that the case with iOS as well? and I thought it was more that it's UNIX "based", which makes it POSIX "compliant". I can assure you from my jailbreaking days, poking around inside an iOS device looks more or less exactly the same as macOS inside.
Yeah, it's that "more or less" part that will get you. Apple is likely working on multi-user but wants to make it rock solid and locked down tight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.