Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Oh, I don't know.

1. Super Bowl 1
2. Super Bowl 2
3. Twins World Series wins
4. Any time the Redskins beat Dallas
5. Any time any team beats Dallas Cowboys
or the Atlanta Braves

��

This is not going to be a good year for you, I suspect.

I would not be surprised if this year came down to Colts-Cowboys or Broncos-Cowboys and having this be the year to coronate ole Romo. Romo has all the TDs, yards, and ratings of a great QB, and he only needs that SB win to seal things up nicely for Hall of Fame.

1. Aaron Rodgers (31) 105.8 2005-2014 gnb
2. Peyton Manning (38) 97.7 1998-2014 2TM
3. Philip Rivers (33) 96.9 2004-2014 sdg
4. Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999 2TM
5. Tony Romo (34) 96.3 2004-2014 dal

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
  • Making a game-saving tackle on a charging forward in a playoff game in my local youth soccer league. I managed to catch the forward as he broke towards goal, almost one-on-one with the keeper and execute a perfect sliding tackle from behind and to the side, knocking the ball out of play. :)

• Did he survive? :D

There are some brief moments I'll never forget (a perfect cross, backheel goal after a corner, etc) yet hard to describe to get near to that awesome film back in the head we'll never forget :)

*sports events i didn't participate in: Germany winning the European Cup in England with the first (and last?) golden goal by Bierhoff and of course Götze's goal against Argentina. Got crazy nervous while watching that game! United against Bayern CL final 1999 broke my heart when I was a kiddo.
    Oh, and my very first visit to a stadium watching Germany vs Bulgaria. Floodlight, 70.000 fans an awseome atmosphere and missing 2/4 goals because I went out to get something to eat during half-time. :D

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

The Blue Jays are Toronto's Major League Baseball team. They won the World Series in 1992 and 1993. Last time I checked, Toronto was not in the US.

But a world series needs teams from around the world. None of those countries you mention actually play in your World Series.
Also having been to two baseball games in the US, it will never compete with the beautiful game world wide.
It is after all just rounders!!!

The World Series has the best players from around the world, so the name is appropriate.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Soccer/football is the world game right now and probably basketball to some extent. It would be nice to see more countries take up baseball and even some minor league franchises to be international.

Basketball is another US only sport mostly. Nobody in the UK/ Europe really cares about the American sports.

Football (which you guys, rather insultingly call soccer) is and always will be the number one World sport.

----------

The Blue Jays are Toronto's Major League Baseball team. They won the World Series in 1992 and 1993. Last time I checked, Toronto was not in the US.

The World Series has the best players from around the world, so the name is appropriate.

So teams from two countries play in the World Series? Wow that must encompass 95% of the world then. Now the World Cup, is a truly world tournament. Countries from all over the World play. Not just one small corner.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

No, I beg to differ. If the game was followed, and watched, and played, worldwide, then, yes, your point would stand.

However, for a given society to call a game which is popular mainly (almost only?) in the US (or, yes, I'll concede the continent of North America) by the majestic (and misleading) title of 'The World Series' strikes me as hyperbolic, but not terribly surprising, all things considered.

Basketball is another US only sport mostly. Nobody in the UK/ Europe really cares about the American sports.

Football (which you guys, rather insultingly call soccer) is and always will be the number one World sport.

----------

So teams from two countries play in the World Series? Wow that must encompass 95% of the world then. Now the World Cup, is a truly world tournament. Countries from all over the World play. Not just one small corner.

Yes, I agree with you and I think you have offered an excellent example of a game which actually does have an appeal which could be classed as genuinely global.

As it happens, I have even watched a soccer match or two (or more) myself…….More to the point, in any international gathering, soccer talk makes a great ice-breaker (and also can offer superb illustrations of political, economic, social, or cultural points, too….)

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

It's the only team sport I played in high school, so (football) is something I love, too even though our team only scored one goal all season.

Anyway, (football) gained a ton of fans in the US showing. Being in the fifth dozen working towards the top 15 or 20 is really something special. We won't win a World Cup in my lifetime, but it's about time the US warms up to football.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Still working on five, but one of them for sure would be Kelly Kulick winning the PBA Tournament of Champions in 2010.

While Billie Jean King beat Bobby Riggs in an exhibition match, the key word is exhibition. This was the first time a woman beat a man in a championship match for real, when the title, championship, and prize money are on the line. Kelly did that against Chris Barnes, who is already Hall of Fame-bound himself.

I'll work on the other four, but for now, enjoy these.

BL.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
1. The Catch (49ers vs Cowboys)
2. "AND SOLKSJAER HAS WON IT!" (1999 Champions League final)
3. Brian Wilson strikes out Nelson Cruz, Giants win first World Series in 54 years
4. USA Hockey beats USSR in Lake Placid, 1980 Winter Olympics
5. Sergio Romo freezes Miguel Cabrera to win 2012 World Series, or Bruce Jenner winning the Decathalon, or McEnroe vs Borg at Wimbledon, or Travis Ishikawa's pennant-clinching walk-off HRjust last week, or…

Personal best sporting moments include hitting a walk-off HR in a Little League game with a just-retired Bobby and a still-in-high-school Barry Bonds sitting in the stands, and winning a few track medals in the 400 meters.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
when the NFL left Los Angeles never to return turns out to have been the biggest.......previously a sports fan, my interest has waned ever since

63dot

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
I want to add: "Watching MadBum pitch in three games in a World Series".

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
I only have 2 right now...

Going to the "Cal Ripkin tie the consecutive game record" game.
Taking my son to the Phillies/Yankees world series game.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
- Prost plowing into Senna and winning the title at Suzuka in '89.

- Senna plowing into Prost at the same turn and winning the title in Suzuka in '90.

- American League playoffs between the Sox and the Yanks in '04, with Boston coming back from a 3-point deficit to win a spot in the final round and eventually to win the championship.

- Anytime the Celtics beat the Lakers.

- Francis Ouimet winning the 1913 US Open.

- Anytime the Seahawks win (...yeah, right).

EDIT: ...had to find the date for the 4th one.

Last edited:

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
Basketball is another US only sport mostly. Nobody in the UK/ Europe really cares about the American sports..

Basketball is a world sport, it's the second most popular sport in Greece behind football, it's popular in Spain, and much of the Balkans/former Yugoslavia.

1. Australia qualifies for the World Cup for the first time in 32 years, Australia progresses to the knock out stage of the 2006 World Cup.
2. Watching Pat Rafter beating up on Pete Sampras as a kid.
3. Watching Aryton Senna as a kid growing up, Prost running over Senna's wing and Senna returning the favor and that crash in 1994 as the worst memory of my 10 year old life.
4. Michael Jordan 6 NBA rings.
5. Chelsea FC 1996 FA Cup Winners.

For whatever reason that's also pretty much defined the teams I follow Chelsea, the Chicago Bulls, Australia (of course) and the greatest F1 driver there was Aryton Senna.

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
The Red Sox love is obnoxious.

1. October 26, 2005 - Chicago White Sox break a longer streak than Boston, winning their first world series in 88 years.
2. June 14, 1998 - Chicago Bulls win the NBA championship for the sixth time
3. March 26, 2005 - The Illinois Fighting Illini Basketball team comes from 15 down with 4:02 left in regulation to beat Arizona in overtime. First final four in 15 years.
4. June 9, 2010 - Chicago Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup for the first time since 1961.
5. Cubs haven't won the WS yet, but it will go here when they do.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
OP: Based on the other events you mentioned as not occurring in your lifetime, I'm guessing that your reference to "The Catch" is not that of Willie Mays in the 1954 World Series against Cleveland. But that is The Catch. Dwight Clark's catch is The Catch II. ;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Thinking about it, I actually have #2.

The Sydney Swans victory in the AFL Grand Final in 2005. Highlights, especially including Leo Barry's mark at the end of the game:

It was the first time in 72 years that they had won, and there were some people in the crowd who were there the last time that the Swans (then at South Melbourne) had won.

BL.

ame8199

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2011
Will always remember the Chicago Bulls NBA championships.... When the team was Jordan, Pippin, Paxton. Just remember watching that with my dad

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Hm. My thoughts, too, to a certain extent.

For myself, personally, the question does not even begin to apply.

However, even thinking about the sporting achievements of others which may have given me joy, or pleasure, or been a source of vicarious delight, I have to admit I have great difficulty in coming up with the sort of examples the OP probably had in mind, and this is because sport does not really play any sort of a meaningful role in my life.

Ditto.

Attachments

• Christmas-Lights-Ditto.jpg
    Christmas-Lights-Ditto.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.