Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Cause I don't want to pay money to find out answers I probably already know??

Actually I don't think you already know all the answers. What you are saying holds true for a Windows laptop but on the MBP things looked different.

And he's not asking you to pay, he's asking for a website to pay. Not a strange idea of course because the article will drive traffic.

I once put a simple notebook review on a webpage with Google ads and made $120. Not that much, but I think DaMarcus isn't asking for much more.

Barefeats is a good site to contact

That's a good idea.

Inside_line

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
U.S.A.
All this talk of not the same on windows vs mac is unsubstantiated without data. Does the review look at the drives on both systems? OSX vs. Bootcamp vs. PC? Because without an apples to apples comparison your claim is accepted on faith alone?

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Actually I don't think you already know all the answers. What you are saying holds true for a Windows laptop but on the MBP things looked different.

And he's not asking you to pay, he's asking for a website to pay. Not a strange idea of course because the article will drive traffic.

I once put a simple notebook review on a webpage with Google ads and made $120. Not that much, but I think DaMarcus isn't asking for much more.

That's a good idea.

I'm still fairly sure the rankings match up, unless there is something severely wrong with his system.

Just read a combination of the following and make your own decision rather than waiting on DaMarcus to sell it to a website since it may never happen..

http://barefeats.com/mbpp19.html
http://barefeats.com/hard134.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3756/2010-value-ssd-100-roundup-kingston-and-ocz-take-on-intel
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3690/...dforce-more-capacity-at-no-performance-loss/5
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3681/oczs-vertex-2-special-sauce-sf1200-reviewed
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3812/the-ssd-diaries-crucials-realssd-c300/8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3734/seagates-momentus-xt-review-finally-a-good-hybrid-hdd/2

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009

Then why don't you put his HDD/SSD review on your website with Google ads? That way he gets enough money, and you get traffic as long as his review is of value.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008

I am aware of all those reviews ;)

Unfortunately synthetic benchmarks or benchmarks run on a Windows desktop with Marvell SATA 6G controller have very little to do with real world performance on a Macbook Pro with Nvidia 3Gbps controller.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
I am aware of all those reviews ;)

Unfortunately synthetic benchmarks or benchmarks run on a Windows desktop with Marvell SATA 6G controller have very little to do with real world performance on a Macbook Pro with Nvidia 3Gbps controller.

Like I said, if anything it's slower..so unless that review proves otherwise

DaMarcus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2010
The Netherlands
Since we don't know your experience, qualifications, method of testing etc, maybe you can post the review and then ask people to donate a few dollars to you via PayPal if they deem your effort/time worth it. This way, you will get some experience as a reviewer/technical writer, which may lead to further paid reviews from other technical review sites (maybe you can be their Mac tester or something).
Okay, let me propose myself. I'm one of the reviewers from the biggest techsite from the Netherlands which has 66 million pageviews per month. Therefor I'm writing always the Notebook Best Buy Guides which has ~ 250.000 pageviews each time.

So, only a reviewer? No, also a moderator of the notebookdivision from that same community. And I've reviewed several things for manufacturers. Example: I've tested the MSI GT735 before it hit the market. So MSI could anticipate on my feedback and improve their notebooks.

Buy is it not a possibility to publish these results on that techsite? Could be but I prefer to publish these results on a international website.

Then why don't you put his HDD/SSD review on your website with Google ads? That way he gets enough money, and you get traffic as long as his review is of value.
If no one bites I will.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
Like I said, if anything it's slower..so unless that review proves otherwise

Different ranking too. I've seen the results. But enough speculation for now, let's focus on what he asked. Where can he publish it.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Different ranking too. I've seen the results. But enough speculation for now, let's focus on what he asked. Where can he publish it.

Here, as a favor to the macrumors community. ;)

Some people do giveaways (imaketouchtheme), others do reviews (like schneiderman)..just to give back to the community. But do what you want...personally I won't be interested in the results. That's just me though.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

Sure, but the rankings won't be off by much. No doubt the SSDs are leading with the hybrid in the middle and the regular HDDs in the back.

Philflow

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2008
haha keep trying. Some of the results were quite unexpected for me, and they would be for anyone using common sense.

blairbeckwith

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
haha keep trying. Some of the results were quite unexpected for me, and they would be for anyone using common sense.

If the results were unexpected, then your testing methodology and/or equipment is flawed.

Stop trying to get your garbase, piece of **** study to sell by making outrageous claims. If there was any demand for your study, you wouldn't be posting on a forum trying to sell it.

Why don't you make a study that proves that images are sharper on lower resolution displays? I bet if anyone can, you and your butt-buddy here could pull it off.

magamo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2009
I don't know how copyright works, but if you think it's of interest to many and is publishable in the biggest tech website in Netherland, can't you just publish it there and see if major English websites or magazines are interested in publishing a translation? I guess it might be easier for them to believe your review and test results that way. It seems to me you're trying to sell test results reported by a random guy on the internet.

By the way, I wonder why you don't know an appropriate place to publish when your review is very technical. Whatever field it is in, the author of an technical article must be an expert who is in the know. I'm not saying I doubt the credibility of your review or anything, but it doesn't sound like you read tech articles very much...

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
But they work in OSX? I am asking as I see these drives come in the storage sizes I want. Intel do not. I'm not getting one until next year after my warranty has run out, just in case.. So I'm interested to see big size SSD's coming to market.

It does it on a hardware level, just like GC and unlike TRIM so it works fine in OSX. Also the warranty isn't voided..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.