Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While we're still patiently waiting for the new low-cost iPhone SE drop, the rumor mill has continued to churn with new iOS 14 leaks and additional rumors about upcoming products.

Among other news this week was an ongoing issue with Apple sending replacement AirPods earbuds with an unreleased firmware version that prevents pairing with the user's existing earbud, and some new content options to help keep you busy and entertained during quarantine.

Check out our roundup below and the video above for details on these stories and more!

iOS 14 Could Offer Home Screen Widgets, Wallpaper Customizations

A leaked build of iOS 14 has revealed that Apple may be planning to introduce home screen widgets on the iPhone and iPad. While a form of widgets already exists in the Today View, accessible by swiping right on the first page of the home screen, this new feature would allow widgets to be moved around freely like app icons.

ios_14_widgets_concept.jpg
Concept by Parker Ortolani

iOS 14 also might allow users to select dark, dim, blurred, and normal versions of a wallpaper, and interact with select content and experiences in third-party apps without installing the apps.

Leaker Claims New 13-inch MacBook Pro Coming as Soon as Next Month

Apple plans to refresh the 13-inch MacBook Pro in May, according to Jon Prosser, host of the YouTube channel Front Page Tech.

macbook-pro-13-inch.jpg

Prosser says there is a strong possibility that a larger 14-inch display could be one of the new features, following in the footsteps of the 16-inch MacBook Pro replacing the 15-inch model last year.

The refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro is also expected to feature Apple's more reliable scissor-switch Magic Keyboard.

Analyst Expects Apple to Launch New iPhone SE in Mid-April, 6.7-Inch iPhone 12 in October

Apple's development schedule for iPhone 12 models will likely be pushed out slightly due to current travel restrictions and cargo flight delays, which could result in delayed availability of the highest-end 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Jeff Pu.

iphone-11-pro-black-background.jpeg

Pu expects the iPhone SE to drop around the middle of this month, but the main fall lineup could once again see some split release dates as we've seen a few times in recent years. He believes that the expected 5.4-inch and two 6.1-inch models will be available in September, but that the highest-end 6.7-inch model might not be ready to launch until October.

Apple Sending Replacement AirPods With Unreleased Firmware, Rendering Them Unusable

Over the last few weeks, customers who require a replacement AirPod from Apple have in some cases been receiving an AirPod running firmware version 2D3, which is not a version of the AirPods firmware that has been publicly released.

airpodsdesign.jpg

Due to this issue, affected customers are unable to pair the new AirPod with the existing AirPod, leaving the pair of AirPods unable to be used together.

Six iPad and iPhone Apps and Games to Keep You Entertained at Home

If you're stuck at home and are looking for things to do, our latest YouTube video has some suggestions for various apps and games that we've found fun during our quarantine period.

ipadiphoneapps.jpg

We're highlighting podcast apps, a few games, and a couple of other options that will hopefully help keep you or your family members entertained this week. Some of these are for iPhone and iPad, while some are ?iPad? only.

Apple has also made some of its Apple TV+ content available free of charge, and it's been ramping up educational content for kids and adults alike.

2020 iPad Pro Confirmed to Lack a U1 Ultra Wideband Chip

Last week, we laid out evidence suggesting that 2020 iPad Pro models do not contain a U1 Ultra Wideband chip, including the lack of any mention of the chip in tech specs or Apple's press materials, the absence of software support for U1 features, and more.

ipadprobox.jpg

Daring Fireball's John Gruber has since followed up on the situation, and he has "confirmed with a little birdie who would certainly know the answer" that the new ?iPad Pro? models indeed do not have a U1 chip.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iOS 14 Leaks, iPhone and 13" MacBook Pro Rumors, and More

tCdemon

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Fullerton, CA, USA
I'm not surprised that the iPhone 12 got its camera's rearrange to make space for the LiDAR sensor. Apple should give its iPhone PRO line a bump (small or big) in processor and ram to really distinguish it. In my world the Pro iPhone would always have the new processor (14) and the regular iPhone would have the 13X processor...I can only dream!

Comment

kerr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
It would be awesome if iOS offered widgets that work similar to Windows tiles, you could have: regular (1x1), wide (2x1), tall (1x2), large (2x2). One thing I have always wanted is customization and personalization.

Reactions: miamialley
Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
There are so much better things that could be done to iOS home screen than widgets. Uggh. Apple!! Fix Springboard. It is so un-Apple-like to have such a poor implementation after so long. My guess is they either don’t care or don’t know how to do it.

Reactions: CJ Dorschel
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
There are so much better things that could be done to iOS home screen than widgets. Uggh. Apple!! Fix Springboard. It is so un-Apple-like to have such a poor implementation after so long. My guess is they either don’t care or don’t know how to do it.
Why? Windows hasn't essentially changed in 30 years. IOS remained the same under SJ until 2011. My guess is that the home screen is not as big an issue as some here (on MR) make it out to be.

Comment

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
While I don’t have a terrible need for widgets, I think this concept will excite the home screen again, change it up a bit. And maybe if this happens, it will being uses we hadn’t previously thought of. I am mostly for the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mantra, but I do like a little mix up and the home screen is been virtually the same since launch.

Reactions: bvz
Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Why? Windows hasn't essentially changed in 30 years. IOS remained the same under SJ until 2011. My guess is that the home screen is not as big an issue as some here (on MR) make it out to be.
If SJ was still around we would have had a major redesign in the last few generations. It’s not that it is stale. It is that it only really fits the first 5 years or so of the iPhone and we are now going into year 13. Steve would have demanded a beautiful intuitive UI that would have made sense out of the voluminous madness that is the software on our devices. But you can believe that he wouldn’t and you can believe it is fine the way it is. Some of us yearn for something next generation that is on par with the we wouldn’t have even known we needed till Apple put it together. Some of us have ideas but we are not part of an Apple creative team, integrating and building ideas off each other.

Comment

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Prosser says there is a strong possibility that a larger 14-inch display could be one of the new features,...

The refreshed 13-inch MacBook Pro is also ...

So, if it has a 14" display, it's no longer a "13" MacBook Pro. i think you mean the 13" MacBook Pro is being discontinued, and replaced with a new 14" MacBook Pro.

Reactions: HermanMunster
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If SJ was still around we would have had a major redesign in the last few generations. It’s not that it is stale. It is that it only really fits the first 5 years or so of the iPhone and we are now going into year 13. Steve would have demanded a beautiful intuitive UI that would have made sense out of the voluminous madness that is the software on our devices. But you can believe that he wouldn’t and you can believe it is fine the way it is. Some of us yearn for something next generation that is on par with the we wouldn’t have even known we needed till Apple put it together. Some of us have ideas but we are not part of an Apple creative team, integrating and building ideas off each other.
No one categorically knows what direction Apple would have gone if Steve Jobs was still CEO.

I’m not debating some people want some changes, but a radical design of the home screen seems unlikely given how Apple seems to move.

And it’s great that people here float ideas, but the question is how much if this feedback reaches Apple and do they think some of the changes are good for the masses at large?

There is no doubt Apple does listen to feedback but what is the secret to getting that feedback into an actionable item?

Comment

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
No one categorically knows what direction Apple would have gone if Steve Jobs was still CEO.

I’m not debating some people want some changes, but a radical design of the home screen seems unlikely given how Apple seems to move.

And it’s great that people here float ideas, but the question is how much if this feedback reaches Apple and do they think some of the changes are good for the masses at large?

There is no doubt Apple does listen to feedback but what is the secret to getting that feedback into an actionable item?
Steve Jobs didn't care about whether people thought changes were good for the masses at large because he knew that what the masses needed was what he gave them. Was he/Apple under him infallible. No. But by and large he knew that people didn't know what they needed until they had it.

What you are saying is that a radical redesign of the home screen is unlikely because unoriginal Tim and his lackey Craig don't have it in them to do more than iterative to a "mature" mobile OS... And to that I think that the full screen iPhone X was the perfect opportunity to introduce something like that or last year's iPhone 11 lineup when essentially the entire lineup went full screen. But an intuitive home screen redesign that builds on what you know but employs a new paradigm is not hard to get people to accept and is exactly what is needed. And if you think otherwise, look at the Gestures of iPhone X, XS and 11, people got with that right away. How the actual apps work isn't what would change. Safari, Mail, Messages, etc. none of the apps change inherently. Just how they are presented, organized and accessed.

Reactions: CJ Dorschel
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Steve Jobs didn't care about whether people thought changes were good for the masses at large because he knew that what the masses needed was what he gave them. Was he/Apple under him infallible. No. But by and large he knew that people didn't know what they needed until they had it.
No one can know what Apple would look like in 2020 if SJ still was at the helm.
What you are saying is that a radical redesign of the home screen is unlikely because unoriginal Tim and his lackey Craig don't have it in them to do more than iterative to a "mature" mobile OS... ...
You’re saying the above, not me. I didn’t see any radical design of the iPhone in the 5 generations Steve had the helm. Dang thing didn’t even come with copy and paste out of the gate.

But under TC:
- bigger phones
- Apple pencil
- wearables, award winning speaker
-services, etc

Yeah unoriginal. The first two items SJ was against.

Reactions: kb923689
Comment

wegster

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
While I don’t have a terrible need for widgets, I think this concept will excite the home screen again, change it up a bit. And maybe if this happens, it will being uses we hadn’t previously thought of. I am mostly for the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mantra, but I do like a little mix up and the home screen is been virtually the same since launch.

I had actually argued with friends for years that Apple, of all things - would release a phone, which of course they did.
I had the original, then 3G, and was basically iPhone from there on out, with a pair of brief attempts to use Samsung phones; the first one some time back and it was worthless to me, and the other some 3 years back(work phones).

Both times I went back to iPhones, but the single thing I liked at all was the ability to re-arrange the home screen as well as lock screen with widgets of my choosing. Even better would be the option for 'home' and 'work' settings - e.g. have my work calendar + last 3 message single line previews (touch to expand, or long push to open in app, something...) for specific hours of the days/week, then change to my Personal Today todo list, local weather etc. - when not during the work day/week. I'd gladly welcome any permutation of that, even if Apple ignores that people both work and play and it's all combined.
[automerge]1586705319[/automerge]
So, if it has a 14" display, it's no longer a "13" MacBook Pro. i think you mean the 13" MacBook Pro is being discontinued, and replaced with a new 14" MacBook Pro.

Kind of implied but also a bit pedantic.
For those in the market it could fit, most would gladly take a screen real estate bump on what is currently the 13" MBP, and certainly be happy with the replacement of the butterfly with a more reliable kb, physical ESC key, etc.

Whether or not they offer both 13" and 14" as discrete models going forward or not is TBD, although honestly, I think the lineup would be just fine:
Air - up to 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, lower end (relatively speaking) dual to quad CPUs, 2TB3, focus on all-day general tasks, students, some professionals.
MBP 13/14": configurable up to 2-4TB, quad (perhaps 6 later) core CPU, 4TB, 32GB RAM max, perhaps 4TB, no discrete GFX.
MBP 16": Minor overlap at the bottom end with MBP 13/14 so for those where it's solely down to screen size being the driving difference the same or almost the same specs can be had otherwise, offer 6 core CPU with no discrete gfx to 8 core max CPU possible under thermals, RAM up to 64GB, 4TB3, storage to 8TB, discrete gfx options, etc.

I have an MBP16 8 core 2.5GHz, 32GB, 2TB, AMD5500 8GB, but would have considered the 'new' MBP14" of it updated the kb and ESC key, offered 32GB, 2TB etc. depending on CPU specifics, and I expect I'm not alone in that. Happy with the MBP16 and it's quite nice (although yes, some driver updates for the Radeon would be nice..), but I would have definitely looked at the 14 as before COVID, I was traveling more and more for work.

Last edited:
Comment

anthogag

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It would be cool to see widgets.

Seeing more icons with realtime updates/animations would also be very cool. Currently Calendar shows date and Clock shows time.

iPhone could be a quick "work from home" device if iOS changed/altered to fill the whole screen when, for example, an iPhone is connected to a keyboard, mouse, and 4K TV.

Multitasking could be better in iOS 14 if the most recent 4 or 5 running apps, their icons, are shown on the lock screen.

Reactions: bvz
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.