Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The craziness of WWDC has wound down, but that doesn't mean there still isn't lots of Apple news to go around. This week saw some continued discussion and controversy surrounding the new Stage Manager multitasking mode in iPadOS 16, as well as the launch of pre-orders for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 chip.

top-stories-18jun2022.jpg

Ahead of the actual release of the new MacBook Pro, we're learning more about the M2 chip from early benchmarks, while we're still looking ahead to the debut of the iPhone 14 lineup later this year, so read on for all the details on these stories and more!

Apple Explains Why Stage Manager is Limited to M1 iPads

One of iPadOS 16's key new features is Stage Manager, which allows users to resize apps into overlapping windows. Stage Manager includes full support for an external display, allowing users to work with up to four apps on the iPad and up to four apps on an external display simultaneously.

Stage-Manager-Extension-Thumb-1.5.jpg

To the disappointment of some users, Stage Manager is exclusive to iPad models with an M1 chip, including the latest iPad Pro and iPad Air. Apple explained its reasoning behind this limitation in a statement this week, and Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi also commented on the matter in a series of interviews.

It was also reported that iPadOS 16 includes an internal mode to enable Stage Manager on older iPads, which may have been used by Apple engineers to test the feature during development.

Check out our dedicated hands-on video to see more about how Stage Manager works.

13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Now Available to Order

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip introduced at WWDC earlier this month is now available to order worldwide. Apple says deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin on Friday, June 24.

macbook-pro-m2-now-available-feature.jpg

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro features the same design as the previous model, with the only notable change being the addition of the M2 chip. Pricing starts at $1,299, and if you're already an M1 MacBook Pro owner, be sure to check out our comparison guide to see whether it's worth upgrading to the new M2 model.

The new MacBook Air with the M2 chip remains listed as "available next month."

Hands-On With iPhone 14 Models Showing New Sizes and Camera Design Updates

We're likely around three months away from Apple announcing the iPhone 14 lineup. Ahead of time, we have shared a hands-on look at a set of iPhone 14 dummy models, providing a closer look at the expected design of Apple's next flagship smartphones.

iPhone-14-Dummies-2.jpg

iPhone 14 Pro models are expected to feature a new pill-shaped cutout and a hole for Face ID sensors and the front camera, along with a larger rear camera bump to accommodate an upgraded 48-megapixel Wide lens and other camera improvements.

Leaked Benchmarks Confirm M2 Chip is Up to 20% Faster Than M1

Apple's new M2 chip is up to 20% faster than the M1 chip in terms of multi-core CPU performance, according to a Geekbench 5 benchmark that surfaced this week for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro.

m2.jpg

We are still waiting on benchmark results for the M2 chip in the new MacBook Air, but it's likely that performance will be virtually identical to the 13-inch MacBook Pro, as was the case for the M1 chip in both machines.

13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Outperforms Base Model Mac Pro Despite Costing Nearly $5,000 Less

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip appears to be faster than a base model Mac Pro in benchmarks, despite costing nearly $5,000 less.

13-inch-macbook-pro-and-mac-pro.jpeg

Given the Mac Pro has other benefits like expandability, configurable GPU options, and more this certainly isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but the benchmarks are nevertheless a testament to the impressive performance of Apple silicon chips in more affordable Macs.

Video: Apple's Coolest iOS 16 Feature Lets You Drag Subjects Right Out of Images

With iOS 16, Apple introduced a curious new feature that's kind of like instant Photoshop, as you can use it to pull the subject out of any image or photo, pasting it into another photo or using it as a sticker in the Messages app. It's nifty enough that we thought we'd show it off in our latest YouTube video.

iOS-16-Background-Removal-Thumb.jpg

It works in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, Safari, and even videos, and it is available on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, so make sure to check out our video to see it in action.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iPadOS 16 Stage Manager, M2 MacBook Pro Launch, and More

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Does anyone know if stage manager works on non m1 iPads? I haven’t seen anyone mention this.
It’s creating quite the controversy, actually.

Stage Manager is only available on M1 iPads, but there’s code buried in iPasOS that makes it seem like it could run on older models, and Apple is testing it still. They’ve stated publicly that they weren’t happy with how it ran on older iPads, but people who own them are frustrated that they miss out on even a limited version of this major new feature.

• Haha
Reactions: idktbh

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Does anyone know if stage manager works on non m1 iPads? I haven’t seen anyone mention this.

I will add one final nail in the coffin (personally anyway) and say I think their choice of words was generous. iPads "including the new iPad Pro and new iPad Ar."

It's not including those models, it is ONLY those models. I'm not mad about it but let's at least be accurate.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I will add one final nail in the coffin (personally anyway) and say I think their choice of words was generous. iPads "including the new iPad Pro and new iPad Ar."

It's not including those models, it is ONLY those models. I'm not mad about it but let's at least be accurate.
While all three M1 iPads models such as 128GB iPad Pro (11”, 12.9”) are getting stage manager, the base 64 GB model of the iPad Air 5th generation won't be getting virtual memory swap.

This is nice workaround for the lack of multiple tasking, floating windows compared to MacOS, but it requires sizable available storage which makes base Air inadequate because of its limited storage. Apple should have upped the Air base storage to 128 GB if this was known how it would perform months ago.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
how many is ‚some‘?
owners with ipad pro 2020/2018 are the minority or majority?
Back in June 2021 after the M1 iPad Pro was introduced in April this was marketplace stats.

“The basic iPad models accounted for 56% of the overall iPad shipments in Q1 2021. The iPad Air and iPad Pro series came next with 19% and 18% shares, respectively. Since consumers are constantly concerned about prices and portability, the latest iPad 8 emerged as the top-selling model. Launched in October 2020, the iPad Air 4 ranked second on the bestseller list as it was a huge hit with consumers looking for cost-effectiveness as well as high specifications.

The recently launched M1 iPad Pro carries big changes compared to the previous models. The initial consumer response has been highly positive. But Apple is currently grappling with supply chain constraints such as chip shortages and production issues related to the Liquid Retina XDR panel. Accordingly, we expect the M1 iPad Pro shipments to be able to soar in Q3 backed by supply stabilization. This growth will be maintained in Q4, in line with the peak season effect.”

But trying to find new articles is tough. If I had to guess all the manufacturing vs pandemic has impacted sales of M1 iPad Pro versus the earlier 2018 and 2020 models.

So I say majority use 2018/2020 models still.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
Another though:

iPadOS 16 might very well be released in the fall alongside a new lineup of M2 iPads, so the M1 iPads will be legacy devices that still run the latest software features. It seems strange right now when the M1 iPads are the latest and greatest, but that won’t be true for long.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Another though:

iPadOS 16 might very well be released in the fall alongside a new lineup of M2 iPads, so the M1 iPads will be legacy devices that still run the latest software features. It seems strange right now when the M1 iPads are the latest and greatest, but that won’t be true for long.
Even if the iPad Pro offered a M2 what is that going gain you? Are you going to need more RAM, storage that is akin of whats offered on the M2 MBA? You only have a single USB-C port. I would think some other M1 based products might see that update.

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Im more concerned by 48mp on a tiny weeny sensor, megapixels mean nothing, a larger sensor with less mega pixels would be better, this is just a gimmick, and normally the larger the megapixel count the worse the low light imagery without more trickery with algorithms, thats not how cameras should work. I would have preferred the same megapixel count as the 13 Pro with a much bigger sensor, but people like big numbers I guess. Same goes for the front camera, it does not need auto focus if that becomes a thing it needs a bigger sensor to let more light in in low light conditions without the AI making everything look like a opium den. As to the debacle with iPads, yes my 2018 Pro is getting old but its still fast, and Apple are really srating to get my hackles up, to many ifs and buts, I liked it when iPads had the same features, okay the pro needed something to differentiate itself, but a not stage manager, that's just GUI fluff, hell it should be able to run macOS in tablet form with 16GB ram and a M1 in it, which is what I would want rather than a laptop tbh.

Also I had a though about the new Studio monitor, what happens when its cant be updated with new versions of iOS anymore? Do you have to go buy a whole new one? A monitor should not need a OS, the same goes for the non replaceable batteries in Airpods, I tried the pros and hated them, but they are not a £185 set of buds, they are infinitely expensive as you cant have the battery replaced, so you pay hand over fist for new ones every few years, once again not how things should work as it becomes a Apple money pit. I don't like the direction Apple is going in considering the state of the worlds financial markets at the moment, but that's just my thoughts, if your pockets are deep enough you can affor the Apple tax which keeps getting bigger each year it seems. When my iMac (intel) dies next year probably as its a 2017 BTO maxed out, I will get a windows machine for longevity. I'll keep my iPhone and iPad for now unless Samsung can make a amazing tablet, and I really don't care about a 'premium feel' that's just vain. I care about how well it works and what it can do. Hell you don't buy a server on looks and a premium feel just to bolt it into a rack...

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
While all three M1 iPads models such as 128GB iPad Pro (11”, 12.9”) are getting stage manager, the base 64 GB model of the iPad Air 5th generation won't be getting virtual memory swap.

This is nice workaround for the lack of multiple tasking, floating windows compared to MacOS, but it requires sizable available storage which makes base Air inadequate because of its limited storage. Apple should have upped the Air base storage to 128 GB if this was known how it would perform months ago.

I don’t consider the two sizes of iPad Pro to be different models.

And Apple shouldn’t sell anything with 64GB of RAM anymore, just like they shouldn’t sell the Watch 3 anymore.

It’s probably their single most obvious money grubbing move. I guess it’s industry standard to have an inadequate model just so you can quote the lowest price point.

Spicyscreamer

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2013

The craziness of WWDC has wound down, but that doesn't mean there still isn't lots of Apple news to go around. This week saw some continued discussion and controversy surrounding the new Stage Manager multitasking mode in iPadOS 16, as well as the launch of pre-orders for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 chip.

top-stories-18jun2022.jpg

Ahead of the actual release of the new MacBook Pro, we're learning more about the M2 chip from early benchmarks, while we're still looking ahead to the debut of the iPhone 14 lineup later this year, so read on for all the details on these stories and more!

Apple Explains Why Stage Manager is Limited to M1 iPads

One of iPadOS 16's key new features is Stage Manager, which allows users to resize apps into overlapping windows. Stage Manager includes full support for an external display, allowing users to work with up to four apps on the iPad and up to four apps on an external display simultaneously.

Stage-Manager-Extension-Thumb-1.5.jpg

To the disappointment of some users, Stage Manager is exclusive to iPad models with an M1 chip, including the latest iPad Pro and iPad Air. Apple explained its reasoning behind this limitation in a statement this week, and Apple's software engineering chief Craig Federighi also commented on the matter in a series of interviews.

It was also reported that iPadOS 16 includes an internal mode to enable Stage Manager on older iPads, which may have been used by Apple engineers to test the feature during development.

Check out our dedicated hands-on video to see more about how Stage Manager works.

13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Now Available to Order

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with an M2 chip introduced at WWDC earlier this month is now available to order worldwide. Apple says deliveries to customers and in-store availability will begin on Friday, June 24.

macbook-pro-m2-now-available-feature.jpg

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro features the same design as the previous model, with the only notable change being the addition of the M2 chip. Pricing starts at $1,299, and if you're already an M1 MacBook Pro owner, be sure to check out our comparison guide to see whether it's worth upgrading to the new M2 model.

The new MacBook Air with the M2 chip remains listed as "available next month."

Hands-On With iPhone 14 Models Showing New Sizes and Camera Design Updates

We're likely around three months away from Apple announcing the iPhone 14 lineup. Ahead of time, we have shared a hands-on look at a set of iPhone 14 dummy models, providing a closer look at the expected design of Apple's next flagship smartphones.

iPhone-14-Dummies-2.jpg

iPhone 14 Pro models are expected to feature a new pill-shaped cutout and a hole for Face ID sensors and the front camera, along with a larger rear camera bump to accommodate an upgraded 48-megapixel Wide lens and other camera improvements.

Leaked Benchmarks Confirm M2 Chip is Up to 20% Faster Than M1

Apple's new M2 chip is up to 20% faster than the M1 chip in terms of multi-core CPU performance, according to a Geekbench 5 benchmark that surfaced this week for the new 13-inch MacBook Pro.

m2.jpg

We are still waiting on benchmark results for the M2 chip in the new MacBook Air, but it's likely that performance will be virtually identical to the 13-inch MacBook Pro, as was the case for the M1 chip in both machines.

13-Inch MacBook Pro With M2 Chip Outperforms Base Model Mac Pro Despite Costing Nearly $5,000 Less

The new 13-inch MacBook Pro with the M2 chip appears to be faster than a base model Mac Pro in benchmarks, despite costing nearly $5,000 less.

13-inch-macbook-pro-and-mac-pro.jpeg

Given the Mac Pro has other benefits like expandability, configurable GPU options, and more this certainly isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but the benchmarks are nevertheless a testament to the impressive performance of Apple silicon chips in more affordable Macs.

Video: Apple's Coolest iOS 16 Feature Lets You Drag Subjects Right Out of Images

With iOS 16, Apple introduced a curious new feature that's kind of like instant Photoshop, as you can use it to pull the subject out of any image or photo, pasting it into another photo or using it as a sticker in the Messages app. It's nifty enough that we thought we'd show it off in our latest YouTube video.

iOS-16-Background-Removal-Thumb.jpg

It works in Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, Safari, and even videos, and it is available on the iPhone, iPad, and Mac, so make sure to check out our video to see it in action.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: iPadOS 16 Stage Manager, M2 MacBook Pro Launch, and More
Can anyone please share the iphone’s wallpaper on the Author’s “iPhone 14”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.