Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

This week saw a good mix of Apple news and rumors, including some product launches with the Beats Fit Pro and new HomePod mini colors. We also heard some rumored details for the next version of Apple's big iMac, which could see the return of the "iMac Pro" name.

Top-Stories-81-Thumbnail.jpg

Other popular stories this week included Apple executives talking about why we haven't seen Face ID and touchscreens come to the Mac, and well as news that Apple has quietly discontinued its Intel-based 21.5-inch iMac, so read on for all of the details on these stories and more!

New iMac Pro Rumored for 2022 With M1 Pro/Max Chips, 27-Inch Display With ProMotion, and More

One of the last Intel-based Macs that Apple sells is the 27-inch iMac, but as expected, rumors suggest that a new version with Apple silicon is in the works. This week, leaker @dylandkt shared some alleged specs and features for the new "iMac Pro," including the same M1 Pro and M1 Max chips as the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

2020-iMac-Mockup-Feature-27-inch-text.jpg

The leaker said Apple plans to launch the new iMac in the first half of 2022, with pricing starting at over $2,000 in the United States.

Beats Fit Pro Debut With a Fitness Focus, Active Noise Cancellation, and a $200 Price Tag

After being leaked in the iOS 15.1 beta last month, the Beats Fit Pro have now been officially announced, and we've shared hands-on impressions.

beats-fit-pro-feature.jpg

In our view, the Beats Fit Pro are essentially fitness-focused AirPods Pro, as they share many features like active noise cancellation, spatial audio with dynamic head tracking, and Apple's H1 chip. Beats Fit Pro are also less expensive than AirPods Pro, with pricing set at $199.99.

New HomePod Mini Colors Now Available to Order and for Apple Store Pickup

HomePod mini is now available to order in three new colors, including yellow, orange, and blue, in the U.S. and six other countries and regions. Apple Store pickup is also an option in some countries.

homepod-mini-color-bars.jpg

The new colors will be available in Australia, Austria, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, New Zealand, Spain, and the UK later this month.

The first real-world photos and videos of the new HomePod mini colors were shared earlier this week, providing a closer look.

Apple Executives Address Lack of Face ID and Touchscreens on Macs

While the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models have a notch at the top of the display, allowing for slimmer bezels and an upgraded 1080p webcam, Face ID is still not available on any Mac.

john-ternus-on-stage.jpg

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern, Apple's SVP of hardware engineering John Ternus and marketing chief Greg Joswiak explained why Apple has yet to add Face ID or a touchscreen to the Mac.

Apple Discontinues Intel-Based 21.5-Inch iMac

Apple has quietly discontinued the Intel-based 21.5-inch iMac, which had remained available as a low-end configuration suitable for educational institutions. This leaves customers with the 24-inch and 27-inch ‌iMac‌ models to choose from.

imac-21-5.jpg

A single 21.5-inch ‌iMac‌ configuration had remained part of the iMac lineup following Apple's "Unleashed" event last week, but Apple confirmed it is now discontinued.

iPhone X Modded With USB-C Port Listed on eBay With Bids Topping $100,000

Earlier this week, robotics student Ken Pillonel shared a video explaining how he modded an iPhone X with a functional USB-C port.

iphone-x-modded-usb-c-port.jpeg

Pillonel also put the device up for auction on eBay, and bids are already topping a whopping $100,000 as of Friday afternoon. The listing describes the device as "the world's first USB-C iPhone" and a "true piece of collection for any Apple fanboy out there."

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: New iMac Pro Rumor, Beats Fit Pro, New HomePod Mini Colors, and More

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
I’d be all for the new miniLED iMac Pro if I could also use it as an external monitor for PC. iMacs worked like it before, until Apple stripped them of that feature. With the Macbooks Pro comeback, there is hope for more utility over design. I don’t really need my iMac to be pink and thin as paper. Bring the ports on.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ordered the Beats Fit buds, and the gray are apparently either very popular, or Beats/Apple had a problem getting them out the door. They are around 2 weeks later to arrive. Odd. The gray does look good, and I actually debated getting the purple (it's PINK people! And the wife loathes pink, so I would probably retain ownership for the duration:D:cool:) but was surprised finding the gray were the only color showing a delayed ship estimate from the Apple Store. *shrug*

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I picked up a pair of Beats Fit Pro yesterday — so far so good! My first earbuds or headphones with ANC. You really don’t know what you’re missing until you have it! They’re quite comfortable, although it’s difficult to adjust them in your ear without hitting the button. Once they’re in place they don’t need to be adjusted, for me they are very comfortable and quite secure.

Reactions: decypher44

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Apple has quietly discontinued the Intel-based 21.5-inch iMac, which had remained available as a low-end configuration suitable for educational institutions. This leaves customers with the 24-inch and 27-inch ‌iMac‌ models to choose from.
Gee, I wonder if that's why at my workplace we've lately been getting a bunch of 21.5" iMacs from school districts? They could be replacing them with the 24" M1 iMac, as those do look pretty good in a computer lab...

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Ordered the Beats Fit buds, and the gray are apparently either very popular, or Beats/Apple had a problem getting them out the door. They are around 2 weeks later to arrive. Odd. The gray does look good, and I actually debated getting the purple (it's PINK people! And the wife loathes pink, so I would probably retain ownership for the duration:D:cool:) but was surprised finding the gray were the only color showing a delayed ship estimate from the Apple Store. *shrug*
I just checked, and at least in my area, that color (I have it, love it) is currently available at Best Buy. If you want them now, you could get them at BBY and cancel your other order. I think... lol. Good luck, and you'll love them!!

hooptyuber

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2017
The “iPad on a stand” mockups look better than the new iMacs we actually got.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I just checked, and at least in my area, that color (I have it, love it) is currently available at Best Buy. If you want them now, you could get them at BBY and cancel your other order. I think... lol. Good luck, and you'll love them!!

I'm 'post-op quarantine' so can't go anywhere. Yeah, I could have the wife pick them up, but then she would know. I don't think I could survive the lecture of how many I already have, and all that...

That is why I thought the 'purple' might be a good choice. I was shocked these were available in gray. It's not exactly a 'must have' color, but from the images, they actually seem to rock that color. *sigh*

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
So if any iMac with an M1 Pro or M1 Max is to be an "iMac Pro", what chip will be an an iMac? Will they just continue selling the first M1 iMac?

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
So if any iMac with an M1 Pro or M1 Max is to be an "iMac Pro", what chip will be an an iMac? Will they just continue selling the first M1 iMac?
I suggest they could have a standard model using an M2 in a new 27" (or so) and, possibly launched later, an M2 Pro/Max.

Adarna

Suspended
Jan 1, 2015
I really wish I never bought a computer after my
  • 2011 MBP 13" Core i7 16GB 2TB (32nm)
  • 2012 iMac 27" Core i7 32GB 2TB (22nm)
I would have upgraded to the
  • 2021 MBP 16" M1 Pro 16GB 512GB (5nm)
  • 2022 iMac Pro M1 Pro 16GB 512GB (5nm)
Next upgrade after that would be
  • 2031 MBP >16GB >512GB (sub-1nm)
  • 2032 iMac >16GB >512GB (sub-1nm)
macOS Update cycle for
  • Software Update is up to 8 yrs
  • Security Update is up to 10 yrs
If your use case has not changed since 2015 get the base model that has your preferred display size.

Instead of 1 year difference between iMac & MBP I'd prefer them to be 5 years. So I get a new Mac every 5 years.

HowardEv

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
I’d be all for the new miniLED iMac Pro if I could also use it as an external monitor for PC. iMacs worked like it before, until Apple stripped them of that feature. With the Macbooks Pro comeback, there is hope for more utility over design. I don’t really need my iMac to be pink and thin as paper. Bring the ports on.
Apple should be about to release new displays to go with the new M1 Pro Mac that ought to be faster and quieter than same chip in MacBook Pro. (And have longer battery life)

Professionals don’t want all-in-ones. Even consumers would rather have a display they can use with anything.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Apple should be about to release new displays to go with the new M1 Pro Mac that ought to be faster and quieter than same chip in MacBook Pro. (And have longer battery life)
Are we still talking about iMac?
Professionals don’t want all-in-ones.
Isn't the new Macbook Pro exactly the all-in-one pro users wanted (less dongles, need for color accurate external HDR display, need for more power (Mac Pro) for photo and video editing)?
Even consumers would rather have a display they can use with anything.
That's me. I'd like to have a lovely calibrated iMac miniLED display that would run OSX and that I could also connect desktop PC to for 120Hz HDR gaming. Like you could many years ago.

Reactions: SirAnthonyHopkins

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
The AirPods never fit my ears! Always fall off when I move like walking. It would stay for about 1/3 of a block and one them usually the right one would drop to he ground. The Pro was a little better but not much. I ordered the Beats Fit Pro to see if they workout since they have the wings to secure it in place which I like.

Configuring my 16” MacBook Pro was $3,900.00! To much and don’t need it after all!

Reactions: sfkeepay

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Food for a fitty; fitbit compatible with beats fit pro?

Why would buds be fitbit compatible? One provides telemetry for workouts, and the other does music. Unless they have a fitbit that provides music. I would imagine that the Beats Fits would be compatible. Check you manual and online support?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.