Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we roll into the latter half of January, we're starting to hear more about a potential spring Apple event, which is likely to take place in March or April. There are a number of potential announcements on deck, so an event would be a good opportunity for Apple to get them all out there.

top-stories-2022jan22.jpg

We've also been going back and forth on some iPhone 14 rumors, and we've taken a look at a number of rumored Apple products that are a bit further down the road. Read on below for details on all of these stories and more!

New iPad Air, Macs, and iPhone SE With 5G Likely to Be Announced at Apple Event This Spring

Apple plans to a hold a spring event to announce a new iPhone SE with 5G support and other hardware, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. The event will likely take place in March or April, he said.

In addition to a new iPhone SE, other products rumored to be announced at the event include a fifth-generation iPad Air with similar features as the new iPad mini, a redesigned 27-inch iMac with M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, and a high-end Mac mini with M1 Pro and M1 Max chips.

Earlier this week, Apple filed several unreleased iPhone and iPad model numbers in a regulatory database. These filings are likely for new iPhone SE and iPad Air models at a minimum.

Apple Says Option to Stay on iOS 14 With Security Updates Was Always Meant to Be Temporary

When iOS 15 was released in September, Apple gave users an option to stay on iOS 14 and continue to receive security updates, but as MacRumors reported last week, this is no longer an option.

iOS-14-vs-15-feature.jpg

Apple has since informed Ars Technica that the option to stay on iOS 14 and receive security updates was always meant to be temporary. Users now must update to iOS 15 to continue to receive security updates.

U.S. Senate Panel Approves Antitrust Bill That Would Allow Sideloading

The U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee this week approved the American Innovation and Choice Online Act, which means it will now move on to the Senate floor for a vote, and there could be big implications for Apple.

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-Sqaure-Complement.jpg

The bill would require major changes to the App Store if passed in its current incarnation. For example, it would allow sideloading of apps outside of the App Store on the iPhone and iPad. In a letter this week, Apple warned that sideloading will subject customers to "malware, ransomware, and scams."

ProMotion Display Now Expected to Remain Exclusive to iPhone 14 Pro Models

iPhone 13 Pro models feature ProMotion, which allows for the display to have a variable refresh rate up to 120Hz for smoother content and scrolling. The refresh rate can also go as low as 10Hz to preserve battery life depending on the type of content on the screen.

iphone-14-pro-120hz-promotion-blue.jpg

While it was rumored that ProMotion might expand to all iPhone 14 models, display industry consultant Ross Young this week claimed the feature will remain exclusive to the Pro models.

Six Rumored Apple Products You're Unlikely to See This Year

Much has been said about what consumers could see from Apple in 2022, but the company is also working on a handful of rumored products that aren't expected to be unveiled for at least another 12 months, and in some cases a lot longer.

Unlikely-Products-2022-Feature.jpg

With that in mind, we've put together a list of six rumored Apple products that are unlikely to launch this year, including a hybrid Apple TV/HomePod device.

MacRumors Newsletter

Each week, we publish an email newsletter like this highlighting the top Apple stories, making it a great way to get a bite-sized recap of the week hitting all of the major topics we've covered and tying together related stories for a big-picture view.

So if you want to have top stories like the above recap delivered to your email inbox each week, subscribe to our newsletter!

Article Link: Top Stories: Spring Apple Event Rumors, Apple Opposes Sideloading, and More

Gruffydd

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
I’m really looking forward to the new iPad Pro coming out in March, as I need an upgrade as soon as possible for my iPad Air 2 from 2014.
Good choice ?

I got last years 11” iPad Pro and it’s perfect. Big difference in comparison to the Air. This device switched me from a laptop. I realized how much I actually don’t need a laptop anymore and the extra weight. The iPad has extra use cases with the pencil to sign docs, draw and sketch, math notation, class notes, etc. I Will upgrade annually now.

• Love
Reactions: norwaypianoman

Admiral Fart

macrumors member
May 11, 2021
I'm looking forward to the iPad Air 5, but I'm worried Apple will launch it in the same colors used for the new iPad mini. I don't want "starlight", I want silver. Come to think of it, I didn't like the new Apple Watch colors, either. I miss having actual black (not graphite or space grey), white, and silver options - in addition to colors, of course.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I hope the spring event has more than what is stated. iPhone SE and iPad Air is boring. How ripped will the new Mac mini be?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hope the spring event has more than what is stated.
Traditionally, the spring event usually includes more iPad and older Gen iPhone updates, along with accessory refreshes. Typically, the more mainstream products are usually fall releases, sometimes even ‘silent’ releases in the summer have occurred.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Traditionally, the spring event usually includes more iPad and older Gen iPhone updates, along with accessory refreshes. Typically, the more mainstream products are usually fall releases, sometimes even ‘silent’ releases in the summer have occurred.
I prefer Apple release the boring stuff “silently”.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
“silently”……..(Snipped)
They don’t always do that, though. It’s become more frequent with the pandemic however, and they did so with a MacBook update in summer 2020 I believe. However, silent updates aren’t always in their favor, because there typically is less marketing, and knowing how Apple spends a fortune on marketing, it’s probably more of an advantage to keep the mainstream products in the fall with that have the most notable popularity.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I hope they include a 10G ethernet port on the back of the Mac mini.

Mac mini is what I'm waiting for. it's cheaper than a laptop but still portable with a portable monitor purchased separately.

Reactions: Cape Dave

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
They don’t always do that, though. It’s become more frequent with the pandemic however, and they did so with a MacBook update in summer 2020 I believe. However, silent updates aren’t always in their favor, because there typically is less marketing, and knowing how Apple spends a fortune on marketing, it’s probably more of an advantage to keep the mainstream products in the fall with that have the most notable popularity.
Apple events can't be boring and that's happening. If the product is boring the presentation has to be the event. Tim Cook talks about a quote Steve Jobs liked, "go to where the puck will be, not where it is" (Wayne Gretzky). Apple events should do this.

Reactions: Cape Dave

JimmyHook

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2015
Sideloading hurts devs too. More than will be helped. Android users will also be hurt by iOS sideloading. It’s pretty common for studios to release on iOS first, then use the financial metrics to gauge if/when there should be an Android release. If piracy creeps in and even if it’s only a small percent, it could be the difference between launching and not launching

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Apple events can't be boring and that's happening.
Does this make sense to you what you just posted? Apple events ‘can’t be boring’. All you’re doing, is injecting your own self imposed projection, you’re not speaking for a wide audience.

That’s like me saying, “Apple is not a good company and that can’t happen’. That’s just my opinion, but that doesn’t determine their success and everybody else’s mindset either.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Does this make sense to you what you just posted? Apple events ‘can’t be boring’. All you’re doing, is injecting your own self imposed projection, you’re not speaking for a wide audience.

That’s like me saying, “Apple is not a good company and that can’t happen’. That’s just my opinion, but that doesn’t determine their success and everybody else’s mindset either.
Uh, ya, it's my opinion. Because human beings are often the same in certain ways, my opinion can be more than just my opinion but it is still only my opinion. The conversation you are trying to start is perhaps better suited to a round building like Apple Park where you can just keep going in circles forever.

"Apple events can't be boring and that's happening" means Apple regularly has these events and it has to acknowledge the public is jaded and gets bored quickly. Flying around Apple Park showing unusual angles is already old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.