Topic -- Fortnightly Challenge -- May 30 thru June 12

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JohnMC, May 26, 2010.

1. JohnMC macrumors 6502

Hi All,

We need to come up with a topic for our next fortnightly challenge (dates above). If you have an idea, please post below.

John

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Some suggestions.

Selective Focus

Long/Short Exposures

Soft/Hard

Toys

Colorful

Please add your thoughts and ideas.

Dale

3. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

I like Long/Short Exposures. However this is not a formal statement that the next topic is going to be said topic, I just like the idea.

4. bsamcash macrumors regular

How about a prime lens challenge? I haven't seen one of those.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

By time-lapse do you mean multiple shots over a period of time (that cinematic flower opening at dawn thing) or long exposures?

Dale

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Like the first.

Here is one I did in winter.

Not very impressive by any means. You get the best experience by watching it in 720p or 1080p fullscreen.

8. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

How long of a time period was that over?

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Video would not be compatible with the mission of this thread, which is to improve photography skills. Most of us don't have the equipment required to shoot scenes like your post on YouTube, either.

The Admins have grouped us all together under Digital Media, but Design and Graphics, Digital Photography and Digital Video still serve different audiences.

Your time-lapse is cool, but I can't view or comment on it within this thread.

Sounds good. My prime lens is the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro L...

We did 50mm a few weeks ago. It was a good one, but folks with zooms had trouble hitting the focal length just right.

Dale

I'm not trying to spoil the party, I'm just doing my job as Cat Herder.

10. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw the thread Dale put up regarding prime lens length. I am concerned that not everyone is going to have the same lens and therefore be excluded from a two-week challenge. If we choose to do something along the lines of a Prime Lens challenge, I think it should be "Shoot with a Prime" or something to that variety, but not a specific length like the past 50mm challenge.

John

11. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Not sure if this would be too difficult, but it might be a bit of fun:

Sunny 16

From the old sunny 16 rule- the criteria would be to shoot a sunny scene at f/16. Maybe it could be loosened to something like "f/16 or a sunny scene", or even just "outdoors and f/16" or even just "f/16".

For us northern hemisphere dwellers, the sunny part would mesh well with summer :)

Ruahrc

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My thought as well. I am just gathering information as to what lenses folks who participate have. I'm more interested in satisfying my curiosity than setting a topic. More fixed focal length topics were mentioned when we discussed the Golden Hour/50mm challenge. I used the Challenge as a title without giving it too much thought. My bad...

Dale

13. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

This is interesting. Reminds me of Edward Weston and "Group f/64". If we wanted we could even push it a bit farther and have an "f/22" theme - specifically looking for super-sharp images of found scenes.

14. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

I like the selective focus idea. It lends itself to creative shooting with prime lenses, without excluding participation if you only have a zoom - you might just have to be even more creative.

15. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The next Challenge starts Sunday Minnesota time, so we need to wrap this up and come to a consensus. The topics submitted so far are as follows. The + indicates a second vote.

Selective Focus +

Long/Short Exposures

Soft/Hard

Toys

Colorful

Prime Lens

Time Lapse

Sunny 16 +

John and I have chosen to reserve our votes. We like power...:D...

Indicate your preference if you haven't already. New suggestions are welcome.

Dale :cool:

16. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

I've been absent for so long now that I didn't want to jump in yet. What I'm hung up on is that most of the list reflects technique and technical aspects of what we do rather than topics. That's an approach that just does not work for me. I like hard/soft or colorful.

17. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Hi, Bruce.

Way back in the stone age we started this thread with the idea of improving photography skills. Part of that is limiting ourselves to something specific like using long or short exposures. The subject matter of the photos is open to individual interpretation. That's what makes this a Challenge instead of a Contest.

Dale

EDIT: Note to all. John and I are a bit behind ourselves in getting the next one going. If it's not up by Monday evening, I'll get it posted.

18. JohnMC thread starter macrumors 6502

The new challenge is posted. Thanks for waiting everyone, with the lack of votes in this thread, Dale and I made an executive decision on the topic this morning. Hopefully, next week everyone will be able to give more input on the topic. I think the holiday weekend (USA and UK) contributed to the lack of input. I hope you like the new topic, you can find it here.

John