Topic Suggestion

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by macuser1232, Jul 1, 2012.

1. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Hi I just wanted to suggest a member or admin make a sticky topic of important, necessary files that are required for your Mac. A list of files that every Mac has when brand new.

2. GGJstudios, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That varies with the version of Mac OS X that's installed when each Mac is shipped.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Must have programs for a new Mac always depend on your usage. Everyone will have different programs... you can't make a sticky based on that.

What you can do is have a thread with general purpose programs and an index of such. However, we have the App Store for that already.

4. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

No i mean a list of all the files that were preinstalled on the Mac. I know it would be a long list but like certain libraries, frameworks, apps, etc.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Why not make the list yourself, then post it. If the Mods feel it warrants stickie status you can ask then?

With so many different configurations, an out of the box list would be pretty useless In my opnion.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, that list varies from one Mac to another. There is no master list that applies to all Macs. What exactly are you looking for? Why do you want such a list?

7. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Yes I understand. You could have one for Lion and/or Snow Leopard, the latest OS's. And I don't know I just feel it would be handy if someone need's to see if they are missing any needed/necessary files on their Mac.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The install disc that ships with SL and earlier, and the recovery partition that ships with Lion or later, has all the files you're talking about. Any files they may be missing can be recovered by simply repairing their Mac OS X installation.

9. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Would that mean deleting your hard drive and replacing it with a new fresh one like when you first buy your Mac?

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No, you simply use the disks to re install the OS, or selectively install what you want from them. You certainly don. It need a new HDDS to re install apps and the OS..

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you delete files that came with your Mac and you need to restore them, you can get them from the install disc or from the recovery partition, without having to reinstall the entire OS. If you replace your hard drive with a new one, you can use your install disc (if on SL or earlier) to format and install Mac OS X on the new one. If your Mac shipped with Lion and you replace your hard drive, you can use Lion Internet Recovery to download and install Lion.

OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery
    Apple - OS X Lion Recovery - Introducing Lion Recovery

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

"Large" is an understatement.

A list of the contents of the "System" folder on a relatively new ML installation is 5206 PAGES long. Or, is 698,568 words long. Pages is now not responding. I'll be back with a list of the Library folder.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Rather you than me! That's going to take. While...:D

14. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

"Force Quit" is now not responding either. Or Finder.

15. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Ok. The results are in...using Text Edit in plain text mode. Using a relatively new ML install (admittedly with Adobe CS6 installed) that list grows to 7,047 pages long. It is 1,387,407 words, and 11,170,136 characters. To post this list in the forums would take 559 posts. If you created a new user, they would be able to have an avatar by the time they were done. To print the list would take 15 reams of paper.

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D:D Not a great idea for a sticky then...:)

17. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Oh, and using the forum default of 25 posts a page, it would take roughly 23 pages.

And, like GGJstudios said, it would constantly change, with every single update. I've got installs of ML, Lion, and Lion (all on one external drive). Well, I guess if someone really wanted to be a G4 or G5, that's the (not so) quick way to do it.

18. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

What external drive to you use and/or prefer?

19. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

/off topic
    I have a 2TB Western Digital MyBook Studio, with 4 500gb partitions. One for Snow Leopard, one for Lion, one for Mountain Lion, and one for my entire user folder from my computer before installing Mountain Lion as a backup, and all of the installers for ML, and other stuffs that I don't want to have to download again.

20. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

ohh nice you must have a lot of Macs. I think it's a little too late for me to get an external hard drive for my macbook pro since i've used it for a about a year and I may have deleted some header and/or frameworks already.

21. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Umm... I'm pretty sure that between your original question and now this post, you've proven that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Using a computer for a year means you can't buy an external drive anymore? :confused:

22. macuser1232 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

Well kinda cause in my opinion the point of buying an external drive is so you can have all the files you before you delete something important. The thing is I think i may have deleted some stuff important within the year of using my Mac.