Torn between iPads - An honest query.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bleu32, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Bleu32 macrumors newbie

First off, I apologize for any annoyance in this being one of 'those' question threads that some may deem silly, but I have a lot of information to back up my question, so I hope that makes it more understandable. :)

I'm torn between either snatching up an original iPad at the awesome refurbished price, or waiting until the iPad 2 hits shortly.

I've never owned an iPad before due to monetary concerns (college student, etc etc). I've owned a fair amount of iPod's, loved them all. My best Apple product memory ever was my iPod Touch (3rd Generation), but after around five months of owning it, it was stolen from me and never recovered. I missed it and still do, so much! :(

Now I have a bit of money put aside and I can just barely afford the iPad 2 on launch day, but the refurbished would of course be much easier on my wallet.

What I want to use the iPad for:

- I'm a culinary student, so I want to use a full featured recipe manager, write recipes and read associated blogs/websites/etc. I see myself taking this to school to take notes on and utilizing drop box to manage my homework/important documents sync'd up between computers.

- I'm a gamer, though I do the majority of my gaming on a console or my PC. I'd love to play some of the RPG's and other games on the iPad though. I worry with the original iPad I'd get left behind and newer and better games would come out I couldn't take advantage of.

- I love books, but I really enjoy the price point of books available on the iPad and would do a ton of reading.

- Last but not least, I'm a proud geek. :rolleyes: So I adore the manga reading applications, anime viewing/streaming applications, etc. I'd want to watch a rather large amount of anime and other shows on it. The HDMI out seems amazing for managing my media... so not having the full featured HDMI out is worrying me. This side of me is the side that is making it even harder, due to not wanting to buy the 'old' tech, when the new tech is about to launch. Silly, I know.

So, with all of that background... would you either steer me towards the iPad 2, or the original with some money leftover?

Thanks for reading!

2. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Based on what you wrote, I would definitely get an iPad 2.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Honestly, IMO. I say get the 1st gen iPad.

Just from games alone you'll be satisfied!

But also, I do such tasks(though not for my grand recipe list;)) but I am an avid note taker and organizer on my iPad. I think the first gen will suit your needs fine.

The anime stuff however I cannot answer....I do hope my basic reply does help though.

4. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Games and perhaps others apps, but mostly games will come out that either won't run or will run badly on the iPad1

If you can mentally deal with that, then no problem.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I would say go with iPad 2 as well.

Also, I'd like to suggest you to check out an app called Paprika. It's a great recipe manager and you can add recipes manually and also there's a very smart way to add recipes from blogs and websites. I think it's exactly what you want. :)

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think iPads will have a two year range before they start struggling with demanding apps and OSes.

8. Zelnaga macrumors regular

Im in the exact same position. Im a manga/anime otaku. iPad 1 or iPad 2.

The answer? I just brought an iPad yesterday ....

BUT!

Best Buy do a 14 day return no stock return fee. Ive got my iPad 1 for 14 days.

If i think its too slow and prefer a bigger memory space?

Return and buy iPad 2.

Think youve got a good bargain?

Keep iPad 1.

No lose situation.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree. So an iPad 1 you buy today will have 1 year of full featured use. After that, it will start missing out on feature upgrades when new firmwares are released. iPad 2 will get you 2 years of full feature upgrades. So one consideration when buying is how long you plan to keep it.

10. advan031 macrumors 6502

It depends on how good of a deal you're getting with the iPad 1 if you can swing the difference then go for the iPad 2.

11. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

12. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

You raise a good point and it's refreshing to read a post that doesn't assume money is no object.

For all the things you use, the IP1 will work wonderfully. It won't be crazy instantaneously quick like IP2, but I can almost guarantee that IP1 will feel very fast compared to every computer you use. The only issue, as others have pointed out, is shelf life. Already IP1 won't run some of the more processing intensive programs such as garage band and Imovie, and I suspect there will be more and more that fall under that category. You are probably fine for another year (I'm keeping my IP1) and longer for recipes, books, comics. But I bet there will be some games you won't be able to run. Either way, you're going to love it.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

2 too.
    Worth it.
    Camera to shoot your plates.
    Better graphics for gaming.
    Faster processor.
    You should be worried on how to avoid getting your iPad 2 stolen also.

14. Alvesang macrumors regular

Alvesang

Based on described tasks and financial limitations I'd go with the first generation. Just because a new generation is about to be released doesn't make the first gen iPad a bad gadget. It'll do everything you want it to.

Yes, the new one is slimmer, faster, sexier, and available in white (Anyone opting for that? I assume reading would be painful due to less contrast.). The question is: Do you want to cash out extra money for those "features"? How slim is the wallet? And are you able to enjoy a previous generation or are you only happy with the newest toys?

15. Spiterwolf macrumors member

Spiterwolf

iPad 2!

Stop worrying about how much more $ the iPad 2 is for a minute. The iPad 2 has the same battery life and can do everything the iPad can at least twice as fast! Plus it is 33% thinner and .2 or .3 lbs lighter, this makes a big difference if you need it to be portable or if you want to hold it up while you read. Now think about the price and ask yourself if the iPad 2 is worth an extra $150. I am going to do what the other guy's doing and buying the iPad at bestbuy and testing it for 14 days. If it doesn't seem to heavy And slow then I'll keep it because I have no need for cameras, magnets, or many of the other things. Then again, I would wait for some people to come out with some reviews on the iPad 2 before you even think about buying it (otherwise it could have something wrong with it like the iPhone 4).

16. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

I have a first gen and love it but i would definitely go for the 2.
    Apple has a bad habit of crippling devices with updates and I think this will happen soon to the first gen.

17. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

And remember that extra $150 will buy a lot of app, books, games, and comics!

18. gatearray macrumors 65816

Excellent point, DNA...

Any new buyer to an iDevice should really budget a little scratch for all this stuff, i.e. content. In my opinion, apps are what really bring the iPad to life. Imagine your computer with only basic or no software at all! Not so much fun. :)

19. ravenas macrumors regular

The HDMI features are the only reason I'd argue in favor of the iPad 2 over 1 for you. This upgrade is not a revolutionary difference. I'm only doing it because it gives me the opportunity to pass my old one on and have a do-over about my chosen storage size.

I got a 4g Touch last year when that was released. Really like the camera features and storage space (got twice the size as my iPad). I use my devices interchangeably.

Maybe for you a Pro/Con list valuing price vs. function will make the decision easier. I skimped on my iPad 1 purchase because I wanted to save some for apps, accessories and content. I wasn't sure if I really needed an iPad or would it become an abandoned sexy toy. It became a daily "go to" tool within a month.

Games do get old after a while. The video option can replace your TV. Ebooks, web surfing and some note-taking/Evernote become a necessity.

20. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    For the OP's stated uses- the iPad 1 would be fine. Don't forget you will need a case, maybe a car adapter ( most iPhone ones are not enough power), $ for apps etc. Save the cash the iPad 2 "upgrade" is for gamers and camera users...

21. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

easy...

next week go into apple store or bb...try both! your welcome ;-)

22. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I think in the long run, you will be better off, financially, buying the ipad 2.

I know it is a lot of money now, but if you consider the resale value of the two one year down the track, an ipad 2 is going to be worth 75% of what you paid for it (roughly speaking of course) but what is an ipad 1 going to be worth if you want to sell it and upgrade in a years time?

Based on your needs/wants I'd say you would appreciate the ipad 2 more than the ipad 1 even though of course it is still a brilliant device. If you want to play games chances are that sooner or later you are going to regret the ipad 1 as your choice. However if gaming is not important the ipad 1 will suit your needs just fine.

23. M87 macrumors 65816

I'd get the new one for the increase in speed, especially if you're really into games. One thing that really bothered my on the original iPad was safari, it just seemed too slow and reloading tabs was majorly annoying to me. I haven't really seen anything about safari on iPad 2, but I'm hoping it has improved.

24. Beccad macrumors newbie

i have iPad 1 and though I think iPad 2 is a definite improvement in appearance and features, I think if I were on a student budget and was just buying my first iPad, I would go for the great prices and buy a refurbished iPad 1 from the Apple Refurb store. You will love it. Save the cash for cool apps and accessories. And start saving for iPad 3.

That said, if it's really important for you to have the latest and greatest, its better to bite the bullet and get the newest version. I think you'll love it eather way.

25. Beccad macrumors newbie

Isn't Safari supposed to speed up with 4.3?