Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Okay, so first of all, I realize this is probably the most spoiled problem I can have right now, but one I've thought about a bit recently!

On launch day, I decided to go get an iPhone 7 because I was one of those people who got a super late delivery window for their 7 Plus. 256GB, Matte Black, and coming from an iPhone 6s Plus.

And after having the big phone for a year, I really loved the 7 - I loved the pocketability, not having it take up so much space in my regular sized jeans, the speed, everything. But as more reviews started to trickle out and the Apple Stores around me started to stock 7 Pluses, I decided to reserve and get a 128GB 7 Plus knowing that I would keep one of them and give the other one to my brother.

For some reason, using the 7 Plus, I "feel" its size more than I did last year, and not in a positive way. It's huge, the bezels of course are still there, and its footprint is still ridiculous. I'm not so upset about "one-handed use" because I'd always use it two-handed, but at the same time, it just is a hefty thing to handle.

That said, I work in marketing, and the 7 Plus seems to fit my life better even if I like using the 7 more. The battery life, the screen size, the added space for typing, and so forth. I'm not too crazy about the dual-cameras - they are great, but reading so many breakdowns (like the one from Forbes) and the PocketNow camera review and listening to Marco Arment's take on it (he went with the 7 over 7 Plus because of no OIS in the second lens), I'm convinced that the second lens goes more toward "cool" versus ultra practical.

That said, I'm always near a charger and the iPhone 7 has better battery life than the 6s, which puts it in striking distance of the 7 Plus. Landscape view on the 7 Plus still isn't the most practical thing to me. And my 7 has 256GB of space, which I really can fill up with everything.

If I do decide to keep the 7, I could see myself just returning the 7 Plus and getting another 7 in Jet Black while giving the 7 Matte to my brother to upgrade from his 6.

What would you guys do? Is anyone feeling the same?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That's a tough situation. For me, I have the iPhone 7 4.7 and awaiting the Gold 5.5 iPhone 7 as of yet. They both have major upsides and restrictions, but the I feel the Plus variant is the way to go. With the larger screen, stronger battery, 3GB of Ram, and the dual camera, makes the better sell. It really depends if your willing to handle the larger variant for long term use.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've had a 6+ since late 2014. My wife has a 6s that I've been able to play around with.

There is no way I'd go back to a smaller phone.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Okay, so first of all, I realize this is probably the most spoiled problem I can have right now, but one I've thought about a bit recently!

On launch day, I decided to go get an iPhone 7 because I was one of those people who got a super late delivery window for their 7 Plus. 256GB, Matte Black, and coming from an iPhone 6s Plus.

And after having the big phone for a year, I really loved the 7 - I loved the pocketability, not having it take up so much space in my regular sized jeans, the speed, everything. But as more reviews started to trickle out and the Apple Stores around me started to stock 7 Pluses, I decided to reserve and get a 128GB 7 Plus knowing that I would keep one of them and give the other one to my brother.

For some reason, using the 7 Plus, I "feel" its size more than I did last year, and not in a positive way. It's huge, the bezels of course are still there, and its footprint is still ridiculous. I'm not so upset about "one-handed use" because I'd always use it two-handed, but at the same time, it just is a hefty thing to handle.

That said, I work in marketing, and the 7 Plus seems to fit my life better even if I like using the 7 more. The battery life, the screen size, the added space for typing, and so forth. I'm not too crazy about the dual-cameras - they are great, but reading so many breakdowns (like the one from Forbes) and the PocketNow camera review and listening to Marco Arment's take on it (he went with the 7 over 7 Plus because of no OIS in the second lens), I'm convinced that the second lens goes more toward "cool" versus ultra practical.

That said, I'm always near a charger and the iPhone 7 has better battery life than the 6s, which puts it in striking distance of the 7 Plus. Landscape view on the 7 Plus still isn't the most practical thing to me. And my 7 has 256GB of space, which I really can fill up with everything.

If I do decide to keep the 7, I could see myself just returning the 7 Plus and getting another 7 in Jet Black while giving the 7 Matte to my brother to upgrade from his 6.

What would you guys do? Is anyone feeling the same?
I have and use both sizes... as I do enjoy variety and each serves a purpose.

If a person must pick one, it's too personal for anyone else to advise. But that said, this is an Apple forum where "experts" are on every corner.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
It's funny really, as normally you find that people who have had a bigger phone for as long as the OP, get used to the bigger size and then can't go back to a smaller device like the 4.7.

I myself am in that camp. Got my 7 on upgrade last week and have managed to pick my Plus up this afternoon. The 7 is now on eBay and I am loving the bigger phone.
I do like the size and shape of the 4.7 but the screen is too small. There's too much bezel. Same with the Plus. Nice screen size but too much bezel.
Apple need to take some tips from Samsung for design (Note 7) - not battery though haha.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I went from the 6+ to the 7 and I couldn't be happier. Sure I would like the battery life, the large screen, the extra gig of ram, and the second camera, but the 4.7" fits so much better in my pocket and allows me to move and be active.

People will try to convince you one way or the other "there's no way I could ever use a device smaller than 5.5" now" or "the plus looks ridiculous like you're trying to compensate for something" but there's a reason they sell millions of each device. Different people have different priorities with their phones.

Personally, I loved the plus in my hands, but hated it when I had it in my pocket, which was most of the time. I could easily use either device, but I enjoy the 4.7" more. I don't really even notice the smaller screen anymore, but I definitely notice that it's easier to climb stairs, get in my car, go hiking, etc now that I don't have that monster in my pocket anymore.

As soon as they release a bezelfree 5.0" or 5.1" then I will definitely go that way, but for now, I prefer the 4.7".

As a side note: anyone who says "I could never go back" is being ridiculous. Unless you have mental or physical disorders, it is fairly easy to readjust to a different size screen. After all, we used to manage on a 3.5" screen. I wouldn't be happy about going back to a 4" screen, but I could manage if I needed to for some reason. I barely notice the 4.7" in my pocket though, so I have no reason to go any smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: kht410 and Zari

blaugrana69

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Anyone with the 4.7 - how's the battery ? The significant improvement on the 6/6s that Apple's comparative stats appear to suggest ?
Still also undecided between the 7 and 7 +

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
I've gone from the 6 to the 6s+ to now the 7. I love the larger screen size and better battery life of the Plus models, but for me at least anyway, the device footprint of the 7 is just right while the Plus is just a bit too large for my taste. Both are still great phones though.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Anyone with the 4.7 - how's the battery ? The significant improvement on the 6/6s that Apple's comparative stats appear to suggest ?
I never had the 6 or the 6S, so I can't compare the 7 to those, but I did have the 6+ and the battery on the 7 doesn't last nearly as long as it did with the 6+. I can still easily make it through most days, but I can't be on my phone all day without a charger like I used to be able to do.

I am glad I got the 4.7" this year though. The pros outweigh the cons.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I am in a similar position to you. I am coming from an iPhone 6, and got the 7 Plus. However, I find it way too big. I have small hands, and am a girl. I like to access my phone easily so tend to keep ti in my pocket. The change from the 5 > 6 already I had difficulty in fitting in my pockets, but I found the right jeans. No way I can do the same for the 7 Plus. Also, my hands are tiny, and start cramping when I try to use the phone with one hand - I can't even reach across the screen.

I like the big screen, and only want the 7 Plus for the dual cameras. But overall I think the regular 7 and the 4.7" screen is perfect for portability and everyday use. If it had the same camera as the plus I wouldn't even think twice. Now I am stuck, and my mind keeps changing every minute lol.

If you are happy with the 4.7" 7 then stick with it, as it is what you will be using on a daily basis.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
My opinion...

Coming from the iPhone 6s Plus I went back to the 4.7" and I love it! While the big screen is nice, the thing was huge and would be an annoyance. I'm active and it got in the way. I've adapted very nicely back to the 4.7" (plenty big) and it feels amazing in the hand. When I'm home and want to watch videos etc I use my 9.7" iPad Pro which is more pleasurable than even the 5.5" iPhone anyway. It's a phone...when I'm out and about the 4.7" is a pleasure to handle. One handed use and portability is something I missed and shouldn't be under estimated.

I will possibly go back to the bigger screen but only if and when Apple shaves down those bezels.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I had a 6 Plus, then a 7 Plus and exchanged it for a 7. This was a really hard decision for me, but after making the switch, I'm totally convinced with the 7, and I'm not looking back at the 7 Plus at all. The 7 is a treat to use after I got used to it's smaller size.

Like you, the Plus made a lot more sense for my life too, mainly for the battery life and screen size. I'd recommend going with you emotions. When I was considering the 6 vs the 6 Plus, the 6 seemed more reasonable, but the 6 Plus was more intriguing. I went with the 6 Plus and never regretted it. This time, the black 7 Plus seemed like the logical choice, but for some reason the silver 7 was calling me.

I wasted too much time deciding between the 7 and 7 plus (and also the color); I was seconding guessing my choice of the Black 7 Plus for the entire week that I had it. It ended up that the Silver 7 that I had my eye on from the beginning was the right choice.

I say go with what you feel not with what you think.

Newjackboy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
I went from the 6+ to the 7 and I couldn't be happier. Sure I would like the battery life, the large screen, the extra gig of ram, and the second camera, but the 4.7" fits so much better in my pocket and allows me to move and be active.

People will try to convince you one way or the other "there's no way I could ever use a device smaller than 5.5" now" or "the plus looks ridiculous like you're trying to compensate for something" but there's a reason they sell millions of each device. Different people have different priorities with their phones.

Personally, I loved the plus in my hands, but hated it when I had it in my pocket, which was most of the time. I could easily use either device, but I enjoy the 4.7" more. I don't really even notice the smaller screen anymore, but I definitely notice that it's easier to climb stairs, get in my car, go hiking, etc now that I don't have that monster in my pocket anymore.

As soon as they release a bezelfree 5.0" or 5.1" then I will definitely go that way, but for now, I prefer the 4.7".

As a side note: anyone who says "I could never go back" is being ridiculous. Unless you have mental or physical disorders, it is fairly easy to readjust to a different size screen. After all, we used to manage on a 3.5" screen. I wouldn't be happy about going back to a 4" screen, but I could manage if I needed to for some reason. I barely notice the 4.7" in my pocket though, so I have no reason to go any smaller.

I think the can't go back argument is entirely valid.

And applies to most material things in life as one develops and matures.

Ask a person who has moved from a 2 bed apartment to a 5 bed house, if they could "ever go back"
Or a person who drives a lux saloon, back to a mid size. No!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I too went from a 6S+ to a Black 7 with a leather case. The 7 just disappears in shirt, especially tee shirt, or pants pocket.
After a few days to settle down my battery life on the 7 is really not bad. I spend a lot of time riding on a motorcycle. My bike has a cubby that has a USB port, the 6 Plus won't fit 6 and 7 fit perfectly. I miss the larger screen, but that's all at this point.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
I had the Plus in 32 silver but I took it back and got the Jet black 256gb 7. I couldn't be happier. After using the s7 edge and Note 7 I couldn't go back to using the Plus. The body is way to big and horrible to hold. I bought that battery smart case too so battery life isn't a concern for me on the 7. Without the case the battery is reasonably good.

Nice to text one handed again.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Another thing I forgot to add earlier is that I feel there are fewer negative tradeoffs this time around with the 7 than there were with the 6s by not getting the Plus. The much better battery life in the 7 vs the 6s and the (main) camera now finally being identical to the Plus being the big differences for me. I really wanted OIS for example and now that you don't have to buy the Plus to get it, that made it much easier for me to step back down to the 4.7" iPhone 7.

alohamade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Another thing I forgot to add earlier is that I feel there are fewer negative tradeoffs this time around with the 7 than there were with the 6s by not getting the Plus. The much better battery life in the 7 vs the 6s and the (main) camera now finally being identical to the Plus being the big differences for me. I really wanted OIS for example and now that you don't have to buy the Plus to get it, that made it much easier for me to step back down to the 4.7" iPhone 7.

This is absolutely the kind of logic that's making me lean toward keeping the 7! Those trade offs aren't as big anymore, especially with OIS on the smaller model, and the second camera on the Plus not being that great. Battery life is excellent on the 7 in the week that I've had it.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria

It's pretty good, actually. Should get you through a whole day of medium to heavy usage without problems.
Also, you could get the Smart Battery Case (just like I did) and one-handedly double the battery life...

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
This is absolutely the kind of logic that's making me lean toward keeping the 7! Those trade offs aren't as big anymore, especially with OIS on the smaller model, and the second camera on the Plus not being that great. Battery life is excellent on the 7 in the week that I've had it.

If I was permanent bed bound then I would use the 7+. Having used the 6s+ for the last year and the 6 before that, I chose to go for the 6s+ for one year and see how it would go. The screen is brilliant and using it while couch surfing and such is good but one thing that makes the plus so awkward is that it's difficult to use in public. That's why I have moved to the 4.7 variant this year with the 7.

The battery life of the 7 will never be as good as the plus, but I find the battery has significantly been improved for me to not worry about battery as much as I did with my 6 (7 compared to the 6). The extra Gb of ram won't make much difference to the day to day use of the 7, I think it's just there for the extra processing of photos and that was the only reason why the plus needed it. The camera is alright but I'll probably never use those features to merit the size.

Reactions: Jetcat3

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
I think the can't go back argument is entirely valid.

And applies to most material things in life as one develops and matures.

Ask a person who has moved from a 2 bed apartment to a 5 bed house, if they could "ever go back"
Or a person who drives a lux saloon, back to a mid size. No!
People go back all the time. 5 bed house feels too big and is too hard to clean when the kids move out. Huge ass SUV ... Same thing. It's all about context.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Same thought here. The plus is just a bit too big to carry around without constantly noticing it. On the other hand, the 4.7" screen of the non-plus is just a little too small when I need to see a webpage in desktop mode, or viewing a PDF attached in email.

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016

my 7 battery is just as good as my 6S plus battery (with my usage).

around 5hrs usage now, 52% left, been off charge since 10am (7pm local time right now).

Reactions: Jetcat3

callihan_44

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
I'm a big phone guy, it took me time to adjust though. After playing around with a iPhone 7 I guess it's not all bad size wise, if forced to I could probably make due with it through an entire contract period. The only time I dislike a large phone is when I'm on the go backpacking or doing some type of sport like golf or biking, pocket storage becomes annoying moving around alot. I use my GPS ALOT so I have a mount on the dash I attach the phone to and it's nice to have a large display then

JOEBETA

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
New York
I'm 6'2 and I got a matte black iPhone 7 because I work on elevators, and the 6S Plus became an annoyance when I had to fit into tight spots. I'm still getting used to reading content on the smaller 7, and the ability to place it in my shirt pocket (with a case) is so appreciated. Battery time has not been as issue for me, either.

Overall I have no regrets going smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.