Torn if I should do this or not...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FullMetalx117, Mar 19, 2012.

1. FullMetalx117 macrumors regular

I just received an iPad 3 as a surprise 17th birthday present from my Mother two days ago. I really like it and enjoyed watching Netflix on it yesterday. However, when I went back to school today one of my friends told me that i should return the iPad and wait a few months and get the new MacBook Air in a few months when it releases. He believes the ipad is pretty useless since I'll probably just end up playing games on it anyways. I can't say that I will only play games on it but spending a little more for a Macbook Air sounds pretty cool. My mom doesn't seem to mind either but I will feel bad returning a birthday present. What do you guys think I should do? Macbook Air or the iPad?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Both. There are two different devices for two different purposes.

BTW, you have a cool mom.

3. MR1324 macrumors 6502

your mom just gave you one of the hottest products of the year for free. keep it...

4. fosking macrumors member

He sounds jealous to me ;)

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, in all fairness, you should ask the same question in the MacBook Air forum. You might get different answers... :p

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Can you mention to her my bday is coming up next month? K thanks.

7. matttye macrumors 601

The iPad 3 is a great device. Don't listen to your friend.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Is your mom as hot as she is cool?

Friends come and go. A cool mom is with you for life.

9. JacaByte macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 is an awesome device, go ahead and keep it.

Additionally, you one of the world's coolest moms.

10. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha I definitely can't get both.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, you already got one for free. Work, save, and buy the other one yourself.

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Do you already have a laptop that's meeting your needs? If so, I'd keep the iPad. Otherwise, the macbook air (or even a higher-end pro) might not be a bad idea.

13. Agent-P, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm surprised it took 13 posts before someone asked this. As terraphantm said; if you already have a laptop that is working out for you, then keep the iPad and buy a new laptop (MBA, MBP, or whichever Windows laptop strikes your fancy) later on. If you need a laptop, then I'd say try to get that instead.

Also, as ZBoater said in post 2, they're different devices that serve different purposes. Decide on whether the iPad fits your needs. Doesn't matter what your friend says if it is good for you. My friend keeps telling me I wasted money on a new iPad (he said the same thing when I bought my iPad 2 last year), but I have a place for it in my daily routine, so I'm keeping it.

14. drpthemc macrumors member

depends on what you're going to use it for.

personally, i love the new ipad.. this is my first one and i could't be happier, granted there's no physical keyboard (unless purchased 3rd party), it's still a great SUPER-PORTABLE and it's extremely convenient.

both have pros and cons. just depends on YOUR needs and not someone else's.

good luck.. you'll love both either way.

15. Le Buzz macrumors member

Keep the iPad! Be thankful that you have such an awesome mom... given that you're only 17 and she gave you the best gift, materially speaking, that you could have possibly received.

The iPad and the MBA are 2 very different animals. One does not replace the other. When the time comes, you'll probably end up with both. In the meantime, enjoy the iPad for all the unique abilities it has to offer and be happy with it!

16. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I already have a Sony Vaio that my brother and I share. I guess the main reason I was considering getting an Air was of the form factor. But yeah I think I will keep the iPad. The Macbook Air will probably come to me as a graduation present anyways. Thanks everyone! Now to buy a case and warranty

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

18. Le Buzz macrumors member

I did think about this, but being that it's a gift it's a little different... there's always that human factor when it's a gift.

If you think your mom won't care if you return it, then yeah you might want to think about it a little more. If it was me, I would keep it just because I assume she went through a lot to get that iPad for you, and I bet she was stoked to be able to give that gift to you. But it all depends how pragmatic your mom is, whether or not you think she would care if you returned it.

Only you can know your mom the best, but I think she would like to see you enjoy your gift. I say keep it, enjoy it, and if you really need a laptop, as I posted above there is no shame in owning both if you can afford it.

19. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I meant to say if you already have a laptop, then keep the iPad and buy a new laptop later. But it seems like you still got the point. And the Sony Vaio isn't a bad laptop to hold you off until you can buy a new MBA (or whichever laptop you want).

You might not need this suggestion, but for a case I'd recommend checking out the case selection at SwitchEasy. They're a bit expensive but completely worth it IMHO (I had the Canvas case for my iPad 2 and I got the updated Canvas for my new iPad).

That's true. I completely forgot about this aspect of it. It would be an important aspect to consider for anyone in this situation, not just the OP.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I think honestly this is the best advice. If you already have a laptop you are happy with, keep the iPad cause it will give you something different.

But if you are wanting to upgrade your laptop or don't have one, the air is probably a good choice.

21. FullMetalx117 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion. That case looks really good and even has a screen protector. I think Ill buy it. Thanks again!

22. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

23. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Depends what your gonna use it for. You can buy a case with a built in keyboard if that's what you think is wrong with the iPad. Cruxcase made a nice one for the iPad 2 but not sure if they are going to release a new one.
    By the way agree with everybody here regards your mum. Mine bought me socks!

24. astral125 macrumors 6502

I have both. I find it is easier to pull out the iPad for 80% of the stuff I do. With a keyboard that would bump up over 90% I'm sure.

That said, if your use case is writing papers for school, then the air would be better.