Torn

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stetwin, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I have only recently decided to try a Mac after many years of using Windows based PC’s but I have a dilemma, I want the specs of the Macbook Pro but want the housing of the Black mackbook, is this possible?

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

In so many words... no.

But it is still a good laptop, just lacking in a few areas.

3. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Well that sucks, is there anything out there Mac or PC that has the looks of the Black Macbook but something similar in spec to the Mackbook Pro?

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I haven't looked at PC specs in quite a long time. When I switched I haven't really looked back. It will be hard to find such powerful laptop in small enclosure though.

5. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Yeah I know :(

I would get the Macbook Pro but I can’t bring myself to buy it in that hideous aluminium housing

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Personal opinion. I have the MBP and I think it's fine. I'm not a big stickler on how it looks, but what I am able to with it.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

most people would argue that the mbp looks beautiful! but you're right it's personal opinion

8. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Well i guess what its able to do is more important but i know i will hate the aluminium case when i get it, its the only draw back i have when i comes to getting an :apple:

9. Roba macrumors 6502

I think that the MBP casing looks nice but it is you who is buying.

Just from observation i have seen that some people who are considering getting a MBP some also do consider getting an Asus G1S as well which is also black like the MacBook.

Or there is Colorware

10. KristieMac macrumors 6502a

KristieMac

I love the aluminum, but you could get an MBP and a black speck hard case. Or you could get colorware. Or MacStyles. Or Gelaskins. There are lots of mac customizations available.

11. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I guess the housing is personal preference - i don't know why but i just hate the aluminium case with a passion!

The first link didn't work but the second one did the only problem is I live in the UK so to pay the extra to have the colour changed, and then to ship it here and then pay the import duties would take it way way way out of my price range

I have about £1000 to spend, which unfortunately isn’t very much when it comes to buying a decent laptop these days :(

12. skwij macrumors 6502

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, what about the blackbook would be underpowered for you? Do you want a 15" screen, or does this not matter. In your case, if color really is that much of an issue, something to change it up might work well.

14. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

There nice but its still going to have the cold aluminium feel to it – which is one of the reasons why i don't like the Macbook Pro housing

15. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I need it primarily for Photo editing so the 15" screen would be very helpful and would also require the abilities to do web browsing (must be wireless connectible), word processing, weekly/calendar planner, some minor gaming (mainly FPS like FEAR or CS:S and some real time strategy too, would like to try C&C-3 and SC2 in the future), Music, usable as a DVD player on long journeys, Needs to be portable because I need to be able to take it every where with me

I’m sure there’s something I’ve missed but that’s about it :)

16. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The Dell XPS M1330 has MBP-like specs in a MB-like enclosure. If it was an Apple I would have bought it already.

17. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

:eek: Very nice indeed - guess i might be staying with Windows after all shame its pre-loaded with Vista :mad::mad:

18. Roba macrumors 6502

The casing for the Dell 1330 is made out of magnesium alloy and it is also silver so it is pretty much like the MBP casing.

OP-i am not sure why the link was not working for you just google it maybe.

19. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Oh i didn't notice that, might be another bad choice then, why can't developers realize metal is so cold and horrid looking.... not that plastics much better i just dont like metal, so i guess im back to square one :(

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

While the mbp does have some advantages over the mb, I'd say you might find the blackbook ok. The 13" screen might be a bit bothersome, but simply hook it up to an external when you edit video (I don't imagine you're going to be doing this while on a trip or something:eek:) All of the other apps will be the same on both machines, so don't worry about them. Hope this helps.

21. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

If you absolutely need the specs in the MBP but hate the casing so much... just get the black MB. I mean... wouldn't it be totally worth it since it's not windows?

If the MB won't work.. than I'd suggest a ThinkPad. It's black, larger.. and you can customize it with the best fit for you. I think you can even get upgraded display that matches the 17 inch MBP.

22. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The Thinkpad might be a good solution, although I personally find the mb to be better looking. Nonetheless, it does present you with a good solution if you can live with a PC:p

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

there are places out there that will sell you a painted MBP or you can send one in ti get painted if what you like about the blackbook is the color. If it's the 13" screen, a lot of people are waiting for that one, no word though if it will ever come around.

BTW: I think nothing is sleeker then the brushed aluminum.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Agreed. It's just so damn sexy:D

25. Stetwin thread starter macrumors 6502

Stetwin

Its not about the looks of the Macbook over the Macbook Pro its the actual housing - i just don't like metal lol :rolleyes:

The other reason i like the Macbook more is because it will fit in my camera bag and the Macbook Pro seems like it would be to big

I guess i need to have a good think about it,

But say i do decide to go with the Black Macbook with additional RAM, will it be sufficient for my needs and is now the time to buy? because I've bought things in the past to have an upgrade/update come up only a few weeks/months later making me wish i had waited.

Also on a side note my brother is a university student, will he be able to get me any discount or will all the paperwork and warranty for the Macbook end up in his name, because although he would have no problem ordering me one, i doubt he would want to have to sort things out if anything went wrong.