Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denali9

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Black Macbook

Hi,
It would meet your needs except for gaming, the GMA 950 is way too underpowered.

Additional RAM is nice but may not gain you all that much. Don't buy it from Apple, look around first, Apple charge a premium and RAM is easy to change in the Macbook should you decide for a Macbook.

SirCrumpet

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Yes, the blackbook will suit you fine for everything with the exception of gaming.

As for the education discount, there is nothing stopping you from registering it once it's in your hands (apart from a possible moral side, and don't forget you can only get one laptop each 12 months, so hope he won't want one too once he sees how great yours is) - the education part of the deal effectively ends once its been shipped.

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I have both a black MacBook and an aluminum MacBook Pro.

In my opinion, the MacBook Pro is a lot sleeker. The black MB just feels and looks like a toy whereas the Pro has some substance.

But, opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has them.

Stetwin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
England - Co-Durham
I have both a black MacBook and an aluminum MacBook Pro.

In my opinion, the MacBook Pro is a lot sleeker. The black MB just feels and looks like a toy whereas the Pro has some substance.

But, opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has them.

I know the Macbook Pro is a lot sleeker but its aluminium, i really really want the looks of the Black Macbook but i just don't think its going to be practical or have a big enough screen for my needs,

I know I've said i really want a Mac but what other manufactures make good quality laptops for around the £800-£900 area

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I know I've said i really want a Mac but what other manufactures make good quality laptops for around the £800-£900 area

Maybe a Sony or IBM(Lenovo). Personally though, I would just go for the macbook.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Just out of curiosity, have you used an MBP in person or are you just going by pictures online?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Mainly from pictures and seeing my brothers 17" Macbook Pro - haven’t really held one or given it much of a go but it just looks horrid!

Honestly, the 17" doesn't have the same look as the 15". Go to an Apple Store and look at the 15".

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Its not about the looks of the Macbook over the Macbook Pro its the actual housing - i just don't like metal lol :rolleyes:

The other reason i like the Macbook more is because it will fit in my camera bag and the Macbook Pro seems like it would be to big

I guess i need to have a good think about it,

But say i do decide to go with the Black Macbook with additional RAM, will it be sufficient for my needs and is now the time to buy? because I've bought things in the past to have an upgrade/update come up only a few weeks/months later making me wish i had waited.

Also on a side note my brother is a university student, will he be able to get me any discount or will all the paperwork and warranty for the Macbook end up in his name, because although he would have no problem ordering me one, i doubt he would want to have to sort things out if anything went wrong.
What software do you plan to use Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop
or even the dare i say it deadly photoshop + Bridge combo:)Djust kidding i love bridge just not for photo work)

Don't worry about the discount, i used my dad's teacher discount on two computers and they are still in my name

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
If you don't really like metal or plastic at all... perhaps just get yourself a MacBook Pro (just a better choice, I think) and get a Cherry or Walnut laminate put on it :p Get that "woodsy" feel :D

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
personal experience

Mainly from pictures and seeing my brothers 17" Macbook Pro - haven’t really held one or given it much of a go but it just looks horrid!

i have had numerous ibooks and have loved them. i was torn when i upgraded to an alu powerbook (macbook pro's predecessor). i felt that i still wanted the plastic casing for its softness, look and ruggedness.

now that i've had my 15" powerbook for 20months, i love it. i love the feel and i love the size of it.

contrary to what one would expect, the alu is very soft and warm to the touch. you can feel this on the wrist rests and the trackpad and the keyboard too has a great feel (plastic made to look like metal).

the macbooks are great computers, but having gotten used to the larger screen, there is no way i could go for a 12" one again and the size doesn't feel more cumbersome to carry around any longer. yes, one does have to treat it nicely, because the casing is sensitive.

i would suggest that since you haven't tried one, you should not only rely on the photos, but try one out. they are lovely. and all the things you think are wrong, are actually not issues. the key is that you get a bigger screen and better specs for your needs, as well as some goodies like the light-up keyboard.

again, i love my powerbook, even for the things i initially didn't like. but since you are considering going non-apple, maybe you've missed the point altogether. apple is amazing :):):)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I know the Macbook Pro is a lot sleeker but its aluminium, i really really want the looks of the Black Macbook but i just don't think its going to be practical or have a big enough screen for my needs,

So... you hate the look and feel of the aluminium, you like the look of the MacBook, you're talking about a budget...

Sounds like you should try the Black MacBook. Get one. Try it out. If you don't like it or find it's not powerful enough for your needs you can return it within 14 days (in the UK) for a no-quibbles refund.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
There nice but its still going to have the cold aluminium feel to it – which is one of the reasons why i don't like the Macbook Pro housing

It won't be that cold once you're actually using it, the macbook is kinda annoying with the ridge round the edge that digs in after long typing sessions, if i could i would definitely get a pro instead of my macbook, but they shud release a 12" screen pro that i would pie instantly :D but agen my opinion lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.